How is the Greenridge SF Range these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Hey all,

A buddy and I are thinking about heading up on Saturday the 20th, spending the day at the range then caming for the night.

Is it pretty busy up there on the weekends? Any tips or suggestions for what to bring as far as stands, targets, etc.?

I noticed the site now says only 100yd target holders are kept up so we'd have to bring our own if we want them closer.

They also say paper only. Has anyone brought anything like drywall-mud pucks and if so, have you had any issues?

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Last time I was there, the closer black target thingies on the pistol/shotgun line was gone and I think the rope was gone too. Bring target stands, use paper targets.

If there is little or no traffic and the dirt mound is still there (I assume so), I have seen people getting away with shooting pumpkins and such but I would advise against that especially if a DNR officer is present. :)

I imagine there will be heavier traffic this time of year especially on the rifle lanes due to hunters sighting in their scopes.

Last edited:

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Last time I was there, the closer black target thingies on the pistol/shotgun line was gone and I think the rope was gone too. Bring target stands, use paper targets.

If there is little or no traffic and the dirt mound is still there (I assume so), I have seen people getting away with shooting pumpkins and such but I would advise against that especially if a DNR officer is present. :)

I imagine there will be heavier traffic this time of year especially on the rifle lanes due to hunters sighting in their scopes.

Good to know. I'm going to try and throw together a couple of stands this weekend. I figured hunting season may crowd it up a bit. Since we're camping we have the whole day so hopefully that'll help us get a good amount of time in.

Thanks for the info!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    We're heading up there on the 14th. so we can give you a current damage assesment on Monday.:lol2:

Last time I was there the pistol range was just a dirt pile. If it hasn't been fixed up (& I don't think it will be) bring everything for targets , stands, & backers. The 100yd points were kind of beat up but still hanging & the banks were decent. Benches & centerefire tubes were there but still hadn't been lined up with the target frames.:innocent0

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    We're heading up there on the 14th. so we can give you a current damage assesment on Monday.:lol2:

Last time I was there the pistol range was just a dirt pile. If it hasn't been fixed up (& I don't think it will be) bring everything for targets , stands, & backers. The 100yd points were kind of beat up but still hanging & the banks were decent. Benches & centerefire tubes were there but still hadn't been lined up with the target frames.:innocent0

That'd be awesome. Grab some pics if you can too!

I read on their site that they were no longer maintaining any stands other than the 100yd ones so I had planned to bring my own for closer targets.

What is a centerfire tube?

-Mike

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    That'd be awesome. Grab some pics if you can too!

I read on their site that they were no longer maintaining any stands other than the 100yd ones so I had planned to bring my own for closer targets.

What is a centerfire tube?

-Mike

The rifle lanes each have a large black tube that you need to shoot through, it's supposed to suppress noise I guess, but it's really just annoying.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yup, they screwed 12"~15" diameter plastic coriguated sewer pipes about 8 feet long to the benches used for centerfire rifle!

You have to pretty much climb into the dammed things to shoot as they come back about 3/4 of the length of the benches.

Using a bipod, or front rest, is a joke as the bottoms are rounded & they trap every little piece of rubbish & then blast it back in your face as you fire. Worse still they were out of allignment last time I was there & to shoot on target 2 from bench 2 you need to shoot right up against the left hand side of the tube.:banghead:

"Sound moderation", my aunt Fannie's backside, they're there to stop id10t's from flinging shots over the bank. If you look at the insulation in them it's riddled with bullet holes.:mad54:

I'll get a few pictures on Sunday & post 'em here.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yep I did.
    I thought I'd posted the pics on here already, but maybe it was in a different Green Ridge thread?
    Never mind, here we go.

Rimfire/shottie end of the firing line.
    DSCF9601.jpg

Downrange showing the lack of anything except dirt on the 25 yd pistol berm.
    DSCF9600.jpg

It looks like there is a strike zone, but that's just the camera angle, there is nada out there.

Centerfire end of the firing line with the benches & tubes.
    DSCF9602.jpg

Closeup of a tube on a bench. Every bench is a little different, some are even more covered by the tube.
    DSCF9603.jpg

View through the tube., Note the bullet strikes where someone can't hit a cow's arse with a brick, even if holding the tail with the other hand!:sad20:
    DSCF9605.jpg

dr_gonzo71

Jun 17, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    Guys I know it's farther for those of you coming from Washington County, etc... But the public range up at Savage River State Forest is MUCH nicer than the one at Green Ridge. No stupid tubes, plenty of movable target stands, and more lanes. Just an FYI...

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I forgot to mention this but the place was "slamming" on Saturday according to the rangers at the check in station. It was full up 5 minutes after opening on Sunday as well. If you're planning on going while bambi season is happenin' I'd plan on getting there at opening time, or waiting a while for a slot.

Sadly there are enough Fuc@tards out there to get all of the ranges shut down eventually.
    I know, it's pathetic. Look at the pic looking downrange. See the bullet strikes about 1/2 way to the berm? How the hell do you miss a target at 25 yds by 15 yards?

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Thanks for the pics and all the info! I was hoping to mix the camping and shooting so I could stretch the legs on my .30-06 but eh....now I might re-think my plans lol.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Guys I know it's farther for those of you coming from Washington County, etc... But the public range up at Savage River State Forest is MUCH nicer than the one at Green Ridge. No stupid tubes, plenty of movable target stands, and more lanes. Just an FYI...

Yeah..I'd love to check it out but Green Ridge is a hike for me and Savage looks like it's an hour farther. Sounds like you guys have a good time out there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom