• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I have a 586 with a 4" barrel and a 686 with a 5" barrel. I'm curious as to what would be considered good groups/accuracy at 25 yards.

I just tried to sight in the 686 at about 10 yards and I'm not real happy so far. I feel like I should be getting better groups and closer to the bulls eye. This gun has a Hi Viz sight that may be throwing things off. I might go back to the original red ramp. (The gun had the Hi Viz installed when I bought it).

I'm shooting 158 grain.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Is it not grouping well or not shooting to point of aim? Not grouping well...try different ammo. Not shooting to point of aim...adjust sights. If both are a problem...work on skills...sights and trigger. It would be uncommon for the gun to have a mechanical accuracy issue.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I'd say it's not grouping well. I did adjust the rear sight slightly and the POA improved. I just feel like I should be getting tighter groups. I could adjust the sights better if the group was tighter. I'm shooting off sandbags. What would a good group be at 10 yards? I was thinking like 1".

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a 586 with a 4" barrel and a 686 with a 5" barrel. I'm curious as to what would be considered good groups/accuracy at 25 yards.

I just tried to sight in the 686 at about 10 yards and I'm not real happy so far. I feel like I should be getting better groups and closer to the bulls eye. This gun has a Hi Viz sight that may be throwing things off. I might go back to the original red ramp. (The gun had the Hi Viz installed when I bought it).

I'm shooting 158 grain.

*****I have both a 586 and a 686 with a 6 inch barrel and they are, with the right ammunition, the most accurate pistols I own. They are more accurate than my stupid expensive 1911's that are made with very close tolerances but so finicky with ammo (they require special mags, special ammo, and like 1000 rounds to break them in...:sad20:), and have jammed on me multiple times. Gunsmith says I just need to shoot them more... to break them in... My $500 Glock doesn't jam on me, and it's maybe not as accurate but it didn't cost me $3-4k and I didn't have to wait 8 weeks to get it...

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the revolvers, and would not hesitate to use them for home defense, and target shooting. I can, on a good day, hit a swinging golf ball at 25 yards in our competitions with these pistols. I generally use either Remington, or Federal 158 grain ammo. I use the stock iron adjustable sights, nothing special. The heavy pistols are great at helping mitigate recoil for follow up shots and I've used them in our local competitions with some fast loaders.

I really like the model(s) a lot. Hope you get yours dialed in.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are you new to revolvers? My groups were terrible when I got my first revolver compared to my CZs or 1911s. They tightened up a lot with training.

If you're already experienced with revolvers, then maybe try different sights. I have a red dot on my 686 4" and all my rounds touch at 10 yards when using a sandbag using factory ammo. I've never heard of an inherently inaccurate 686.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My 4" 686 will outshoot me, have managed 1" groups at 25 yards with a rest, although it varies depending on load. Heavy plated and cast bullets are best, it shoots XTPs well in most weights, but some other lighter jacketed bullets can open up groups.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'd say it's not grouping well. I did adjust the rear sight slightly and the POA improved. I just feel like I should be getting tighter groups. I could adjust the sights better if the group was tighter. I'm shooting off sandbags. What would a good group be at 10 yards? I was thinking like 1".

Yes, either revolver should be entirely capable of 1 inch groups at 10 yards from a rest.

Are these revolvers pre- owned and new to you by chance? Leading or some other malady maybe possible? Curious why you'd have them on sand bags.

A 5 inch 686??? Wasn't aware of one.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    The 586 was purchased new.
    The 686 was purchased on MDS Classified but was never fired by the first owner. It is a 3-5-7 model, unfluted, 5".
    I was shooting off bags to sight in and give me a steadier hand (shooting from a rest).
    I'm not brand new to revolvers.
    Thanks for all of your insight!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    S&W 586/686 Accuracy

The 586 was purchased new.
    The 686 was purchased on MDS Classified but was never fired by the first owner. It is a 3-5-7 model, unfluted, 5".
    I was shooting off bags to sight in and give me a steadier hand (shooting from a rest).
    I'm not brand new to revolvers.
    Thanks for all of your insight!

Yep there is a 5” 686, it’s a TALO edition. Probably looks just like mine.
    As far as accuracy, mine is a tack driver. My buddy can shoot a single ragged hole at 10 yards offhand with it.
    058866dcc655ddd60fabdaebfa1cddb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    10yds from rest ought to be a ragged hole .

K frame & larger S&W rules of thumb @ 25yd rested or braced =

1.0 or less - Bragging Rights
    1.25in - ish - Good
    1.5in - ish - Average
    Approaching 2in - Check for damage , damaged crown , rough forcing cone , etc .

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Yeah it's the Talo like rbirds. I shot 100 rounds using Freedom Munitions brand new not reman 158 gr FP.
    I'm gonna try again using American Eagle ammo and compare the performance of both guns. If both guns don't shoot tight groups then I know it's me lol.
    As far as leading, I know what you mean!! I shot some Rem .38 special LRN and I had a mess!!! Never again for the uncoated lead ammo!!

Lots of great comments...thank you!!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yeah it's the Talo like rbirds. I shot 100 rounds using Freedom Munitions brand new not reman 158 gr FP.
    I'm gonna try again using American Eagle ammo and compare the performance of both guns. If both guns don't shoot tight groups then I know it's me lol.
    As far as leading, I know what you mean!! I shot some Rem .38 special LRN and I had a mess!!! Never again for the uncoated lead ammo!!

Lots of great comments...thank you!!

Actually when my buddy shot mine, we were using Freedom Munitions 158gr. reman.
    One ragged hole with it.
    It’s definitely the most accurate handgun I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot this group @ 25 yds off sandbags. 686 8 3/8" bbl with 2x scope. The three fliers belonged to my wife. It was her first time shooting a handgun(which was why I kept the target). So I'd say yeah, they shoot pretty good.

Attachments

• 686.jpg
      686.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 175

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I took the Hi Viz sight off and replaced with the OEM red ramp. I dialed in the rear sight and I was hitting quarter-sized targets at 10 yards consistently. I also tried Winchester .357 158gr and they seemed more accurate than the off brand stuff I tried earlier. Thanks for your help.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Check the tolerances. If you handload, drop a 125gr copper-clad bullet in each chamber and see if it catches or falls through. Also check the b/c and see if it's .006-.009. (I used to own a Taurus 66 .357. One of the most accurate-challenged guns I've owned! Couldn't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn!)

S&W 686s are usually great guns, and highly accurate. But there are lemons. Also, you might ask someone else at the range to shoot it. A 5-inch gun should be norm in my view. I have two 6-inchers and wish they were 4-inchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom