• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never mind that S&W Detective Special, I want a Colt Chiefs Special.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The S&W Model 38 is the ugly best of both worlds. Has a usable hammer so it can be fired SA if desired, but the humpbacked frame will not impede draw. The frame is alloy, and it is well-built and as accurate as the shooter; I can occasionally fire very tight groups. It is 38Special, making it useful in the real world. Buffalo Bore makes some low-flash anti-personnel ammunition for this type of pistol:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

It is ugly. However, there is beauty to be found in functional form, for those who can see it.

250px-S%26W_Bodyguard_left.JPG

If you're willing to trade weight for extra capacity, the Colt Agent, with an added hammer shroud, is worth considering:

aaagent.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Please forgive Jack the Dog for his megalomania. He does seem to have nice firearms, though.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The S&W Model 38 is the ugly best of both worlds. Has a usable hammer so it can be fired SA if desired, but the humpbacked frame will not impede draw. The frame is alloy, and it is well-built and as accurate as the shooter; I can occasionally fire very tight groups. It is 38Special, making it useful in the real world. Buffalo Bore makes some low-flash anti-personnel ammunition for this type of pistol:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

It is ugly. However, there is beauty to be found in functional form, for those who can see it.

250px-S%26W_Bodyguard_left.JPG

:thumbsup:

Which shares genetics with the S&W 649 mentioned upthread.

Summary of the history and distinguishing criteria ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Bodyguard

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I don't know what your budget is. This one is kind of pricey for a .357/.38 revolver but I have been looking real close at the Kimber K6S. Six shots, rounded edges, compact size. Don't own one myself, reports to be a good shooter.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That unshrouded ejector rod on that Jack The Dog is a no go for me. First up, look at that front sight blade. That square corner at the back of the blade could grab a pocket liner. Then imagine yanking it out of your pocket and going forward with it only to have the ejector rod grab your pants pocket or other clothing.

The S&W Model 38 just above that.... is the winner. The front sight blade is tapered so it will never catch on in your pocket. The hammer sits in a channel, so you can cock it, but it won't grab anything. Look close and you can see the hammer pad right at the top of the shroud arc in that small picture Bob A. put up.

Of course I love it. I own it.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    RIA M206. Get the nickel version with the bobbed hammer. Under $400.

Or find a Colt Cobra in decent shape and have the hammer bobbed.

All of the mentioned revolvers in .38 or better only carry 5. The Colt and the RIA are both six shooters.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a model 36 S&W and presently have a Ruger LCR. I sold the Smith not too long after I got it. The LCR is a keeper for as long as I keep a small CCW/pocket gun around. Lighter, does well in a pocket holster, recoil is directed back and less in muzzle flip. I have a 2 3/4" Security Six and can attest to the LCR being a more pleasant gun to carry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Third generation Colt D Frames had shrouded ejector rods if that is an issue. As far as snagging drawing from pocket the ejector rod is a non-issue. What was the issue about ejector rods was potentially bending it in the course of pistolwhipping.

Mrs Biggfoot thought her second generation Colt Cobra was the neatest thing since sliced bread.

I prefer J Frames primarily because of the trigger, but D Frames are certainly viable, and have many qualities that rightfully endear them to their fans.

The main drawback is they command $$ from Colt Colectors.

The OP established his criteria in the first post, but I will observe as a long time revolver guy, the carry and smooth removal from a pocket is exponentially more relevant than shooting from within a pocket.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    My vote goes to the Kimber K6s if you can find one. Fairly light compared to my SP101 and the best trigger I've ever felt on a snubby. The pull is long but light and extremely smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    LCR my friend. Easier to service and it has a fantastic trigger.

S&W make great fullsize revolvers but their snubboes are nothing special.

The SP101 is the best snubby there is after a bob and action job, but they are heavy.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Have been looking at these and the 442. Any experience with the ones with or without the internal lock?

I actually have both. Great CCW guns for the money. A lot of the other snubbies mentioned are gonna cost you a pretty penny.....model 38, 49, 640, 36, or colt detective special and none of them are as light to carry. Now the models I just mentioned are only going up in value while the 642 and 442 don't hold their value at all if purchased new. That being said they are freaking great guns. The 642/442 should set you back around 300-350. Chad also mentioned the LCR which is another awesome option.

601213160------type this auction number into gun broker and check it out. Has a decent amount of bluing loss and 100% isn't a collector piece but if you wanted a carry gun with a little more flair, the price isn't too bad. With shipping and transfer I wouldn't go higher then 400 and then you'd be at full retail but that's the days we live in. it was listed at 300 when I started bidding but the price got to high (shipping/transfer) for me, as I'm not really in the market.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Third generation Colt D Frames had shrouded ejector rods if that is an issue. As far as snagging drawing from pocket the ejector rod is a non-issue. What was the issue about ejector rods was potentially bending it in the course of pistolwhipping.

Mrs Biggfoot thought her second generation Colt Cobra was the neatest thing since sliced bread.

I prefer J Frames primarily because of the trigger, but D Frames are certainly viable, and have many qualities that rightfully endear them to their fans.

The main drawback is they command $$ from Colt Colectors.

The OP established his criteria in the first post, but I will observe as a long time revolver guy, the carry and smooth removal from a pocket is exponentially more relevant than shooting from within a pocket.

I'm not in the habit of pistol whipping people :lol: Pics of my Cobra in this thread https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=199941

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    For a small revolver, I am a fan of the old Airweight myself. Or the 2" Ladysmith is a sweet little gun if you can get past the fact that it's called a "LADYSMITH" :lol2:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My vote goes to the Kimber K6s if you can find one. Fairly light compared to my SP101 and the best trigger I've ever felt on a snubby. The pull is long but light and extremely smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Did you find yours locally? I should check with my LGS proprietor if he can order one for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Does anyone else here have problems loading five round speedloaders versus six round speedloaders? That was one of the reasons I sold my SP101.

Depends on each revolver and how far the crane swings out relative to the recoil shield and grips. Since compact revolvers tend to have cranes that don't swing out very far, it's not unusual for the recoil shield or grips to make use of a speedloader difficult if not impossible.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Depends on each revolver and how far the crane swings out relative to the recoil shield and grips. Since compact revolvers tend to have cranes that don't swing out very far, it's not unusual for the recoil shield or grips to make use of a speedloader difficult if not impossible.

I switched grips on revolvers when I had those issues. I had problems with my 357 SP101 and 40 S&W 405 that I don't have with my Cobra, due to the angles of the charge holes around the ejector rod, so I can't just drop in the five rounds like I can with a six round revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom