• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have a Romanian TT 33 and a Yugo M57 and was thinking I;d buy the Polish TT next month... Then I come across a Nagant 1895 that s been on my wish list for sometime.. Just seems to me that that the 1895 are not listed as often for sale like the Polish TT

What's a decent price these days for a Nagant 1895 listed as good condition.

And which would you buy first and why?

And go easy on me.. i only have 4 years in the gun world and active AARP (old guy) card holder

thanks in advance for your replies

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Well, that is a hard one actually.

The Polish TT have been easy to find as of late, but there was over a year or so where none of the regular places had them (J&G, AIM, SOG, Classic, etc etc) So, I wonder how much longer they will be available at these prices, and if they will return again once this batch is gone??

And now, there was a batch of 1895's show up after a long hiatus, with a doubled pricetag.

I think the 1895's that were recently available were in excellent condition and just under 200 bucks. A lot of people were complaining of the price (mostly due to how cheap they were before they completely dissapeared), but I believe they are worth every bit of that. They are neat pieces of history. But, they aren't really a blast to shoot. The ammo is easily found, but not cheap (kind of like 7.62x25, but a bit more expensive)

I have several types of Tokarev, and the Polish is my favorite. They are very well made, nice finish, nice triggers (on the two I have).

The unique factor, as well as the history behind the 1895 make it a neat collector's item.

The Polish TT doesn't really have the history, but it is well made and a lot of fun to shoot. I also like how the slide serrations are cut like the Russian TT's were. The circle 11 on top of the slide is sharp, also. They definitely stick out when you put them next to a Yugo or a Romanian, in my opinion.

So, that's not really an answer, but I hope it helps :)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I was going to get an 1895 Nagant a year or two ago; it seemed like an interesting handgun, and was pretty cheap at $99. But I waited too long, and they were bought up.

So last month I had to drop nearly double the original asking price, or wait until the price went up again. So I took the leap, and I regret not having bought two or three back when they sold for double digits.

(I also bought a Polish Tokarev recently. The Toks seem to be more readily available. If you want both, I'd go for the Nagant first, for that reason. But I don't have anything to back up my opinion, other than watching what comes on the market.)

Along with your AARP card, you should consider getting a C&R FFL03. For thirty bucks, you'll save more than it cost you with your first purchase.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have my C&R already and have bought several items with it...nice having those items sent to the house

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The Nagant has been rising in prices like crazy. they are hard to find and been @ $200 when last year they were in the $120 and $99 2 years ago. Polish Tok are a dime a dozen

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Russian Nagants are decent. Not really my thing. With prices rising on them, considering what they are and the typical arsenal refinish, I think you're better off investing in a nice, original French M1892, Swedish M1887, or Swiss M1882 revolver.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Russian Nagants are decent. Not really my thing. With prices rising on them, considering what they are and the typical arsenal refinish, I think you're better off investing in a nice, original French M1892, Swedish M1887, or Swiss M1882 revolver.

Good advice! My only interest in a 1895 Nagant would be with a non-import marked, non-refurbed example. Those are fetching around $350-400 these days. For that money I'd chase the above mentioned revolvers first.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Good advice! My only interest in a 1895 Nagant would be with a non-import marked, non-refurbed example. Those are fetching around $350-400 these days. For that money I'd chase the above mentioned revolvers first.

These guys know what they are talking about (remember their names!). If you are looking for investment firearms, and I think that should be in the back of your mind if you buy any gun as a collector, do exactly what they say.

Beyond that, the Nagant is something to get if you've got the spare cash and you see one for sale with nothing else on your radar. You ought to eventually have one ... just because ... but that big investor bandwagon passed when they were $99 - 120 each. $200 still isn't a bad price for the gun if you just want to have one, but not a great investment.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I like them because they are so ridiculously over engineered. But agree, they have spiked and beyond just wanting one for your collection, they aren't a great investment.

I'm not sure any firearms are that great of an investment. But definitely not a $200 Nagant revolver

Jul 1, 2012
    The right firearm is a GREAT investment.
    Some I've picked up in the last few years have already increased 30-50%.
    A few of the Colts have actually doubled or tripled over what I paid for them.
    Not many stocks can say that.
    Conversely a few have tanked but that was my poor decision-making.

Look at the CMP Garands for example.
    Aside from being a part of history, those are also wonderful investments and probably one of the few that you can shoot and enjoy, and not decrease the value.

You can't be buying refinished, force-matched, rearsenaled, and/or import-marked guns and expect them to perform the same as original stuff will.
    If you're going at it for the investment value, you have to be willing to spend money to make money.

A wise man told me always buy the best, most original high-condition gun you can afford. There will always be a buyer for those in the out years.

If you're looking for a shooter, then that's a much different decision tree.
    Typically "shooter" and "collectible investment" are diametrically opposed goals however. That's a whole long topic of discussion by itself.

But wrapping back to the OP, yeah, an arsenal-refinished, import marked Nagant (or TTC for that matter) is not a good (financial) "investment" other than for the fun it will bring.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hard to know what is going to go up in value if you were trying to buy low and sell high. Nagants jumped almost 2x in about 2 years. 8% investment takes about 8-9 years do do that. I'm reading some posts on some acquisitions from 2014 where the prices 4-5 years ago was pretty much the same, so if your thinking its going to climb, its all a gamble. very few of them go down in value, especially if you buy online and then sell local later down the road. Over the past 2 years, I"ve definitely averaged selling for more than what I have into a milsurp, but I did not intend it to be that way. Just cleared off what did not interest me as much as I thought to make room for something else.

I will say this, on average its easier to move things that people can afford to buy.

IMO, a $200 Nagant revolver is sort of short term peaking. I think it would have to star in a movie to jump up to $250 any time soon with all the other choices out there.

If its worth what you can find one to you, then that's how much it is worth to you. Nothing wrong with that.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I posted this in another thread earlier today, but just went back and cut this part out. It fits better here ...
    ===========================

Hint to younger guys who are married, or thinking about doing so: establish an early track record for knowing what to buy that will later yield a good return--and show her that it will. I started out early by selling a "pile of junk" that I bought for $300 a few years earlier for enough money to pay for our wedding, half of the reception, and a week in Jamaica. Then, when the first baby came along and we needed some fast cash, I flipped four antique toasters (yes ... toasters) for a total of $1,800. I had about $75 total invested in them. I knew that they were all very rare, very interesting (mechanically or decorative value), and very much under-priced when I bought them. I paid $3 for one that sold for $750 about six years later.

Now I'll sometimes buy a gun just because I want it, and I've over-paid for some, but most of the ones that I buy I expect to increase in value by at least 50% by the time I sell them ... and some of them much more than that.

Learn the firearms, and learn the market. Either buy stuff that's really rare in any reasonable condition, somewhat rare in good condition that's 'way undervalued, or in brilliant condition at fair current market value (or less ... or maybe even a little bit over). Interesting guns in excellent condition will always have a market, so long as you don't get a fake or go totally overboard.

Also, be ready to hold onto things for awhile. Two thirds of the game is knowing what to buy, and when to buy it, and a third is knowing when to sell.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not sure any firearms are that great of an investment. But definitely not a $200 Nagant revolver

Well I guess all firearms are a great investment, provided that you made the investment in the 1980s :D Wish I had picked up a few more full autos back in the day.... that's up there with not investing in gold when it was $300/oz because it was too expensive. Live and learn... it's only money.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A lot of people may be fooling themselves as to what their collections are worth. Especially if you have a large number of guns to sell quickly, you might get $.50 on the dollar of retail prices. There's a reason that bald guy on Pawn Stars doesn't pay people retail prices for their belongings. Of course, I've never made an investment (stocks or otherwise) that amounted to shit, so I could be and probably am completely wrong. :shrug:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Well I guess all firearms are a great investment, provided that you made the investment in the 1980s :D Wish I had picked up a few more full autos back in the day.... that's up there with not investing in gold when it was $300/oz because it was too expensive. Live and learn... it's only money.

And in 2030, people will no doubt be saying they should have bought them cheap and stacked them deep in 2014.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Personally, I think a machine gun price crash is long overdue. Prices for those have been in the stupid territory for a long time. It's so bad that guys are buying them specifically as investments. Never a good sign.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    A lot of people may be fooling themselves as to what their collections are worth. Especially if you have a large number of guns to sell quickly, you might get $.50 on the dollar of retail prices. There's a reason that bald guy on Pawn Stars doesn't pay people retail prices for their belongings. Of course, I've never made an investment (stocks or otherwise) that amounted to shit, so I could be and probably am completely wrong. :shrug:

That's why I said, "knowing when to sell." I should have added, "and where."

No, you almost certainly are going to lose money if you are pressured into selling a gun in a hurry. Your LGS and/or pawn shop are there to make money, and to avoid risk. They are typically going to give you about half of what they think the value is ... if they are even that generous. If you must sell, the online sales and auction places are the best, so long as you market the guns well. Most of my (very few) GB buys were good ones because the seller sucked at listing the things so that people would be able to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom