• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

I went to Arlington National Cemetery today to join in laying wreaths on many of the tombstones. It was a great day, and a very humbling experience.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I was there as well today. Was uplifting to see how many people showed up today for that. Standing room only on the Metro in, so I walked to the Pentagon Metro on the way out. Still packed :-)

Some people were going around taking wreaths off the graves of Jewish servicemembers and spouse graves. I put an immediate stop to that... Going to send some emails to the event organizers to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    I missed the "briefing" today, but two years ago they (the organizers) told us not to place wreaths on the graves of the Jewish service members- apparently out of deference to their faith.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I was there as well today. Was uplifting to see how many people showed up today for that. Standing room only on the Metro in, so I walked to the Pentagon Metro on the way out. Still packed :-)

Some people were going around taking wreaths off the graves of Jewish servicemembers and spouse graves. I put an immediate stop to that... Going to send some emails to the event organizers to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

I was there was well. And yes, they request that you do not put wreaths on Jewish graves. Being Jewish I appreciate that they have enough attention to bring note to it during their opening ceremony and I remove them as well. Not to be a dick to those that place them, as many are simply unaware. One thing I believe that's new from last year is that they actually had a Rabbi come out this year and say a prayer over them. When going through if I come across a Jewish grave I'll take a moment for them. Please know that just because they don't have a wreath doesn't mean that they're ignored.

On another note, I'm not sure if they planned things differently this year, but this was the first year that we ran out of spots to lay wreaths on. We typically walk all the way to the west end of the cemetery. We were carrying our wreaths for quite some time without anywhere to lay them until other folks who didn't have any wreaths were looking for some so we handed them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom