• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Just picked this up and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend along with a Yugo M57 I had just bought from SOG. I was using the Red Army ammo.. The yugo M57 ran 2 mags just fine but the Romanian locked up after the first round, the slide never came back and I wasn't able to manually pull it back by hand...Once i got back inside I pulled the safety and tried it but still a no go... Only way to get it to free up was to pull the barrel bushing (which was a pain) then i was able to move the slide back and remove the pin...Put it all back together and the same thing happened...Other thing that I noticed was that the half cock feature wasn't always working....When i had the hammer group out the frame it seemed to work fine... could it be that the red army ammo was to hot for this gun?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Just picked this up and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend along with a Yugo M57 I had just bought from SOG. I was using the Red Army ammo.. The yugo M57 ran 2 mags just fine but the Romanian locked up after the first round, the slide never came back and I wasn't able to manually pull it back by hand...Once i got back inside I pulled the safety and tried it but still a no go... Only way to get it to free up was to pull the barrel bushing (which was a pain) then i was able to move the slide back and remove the pin...Put it all back together and the same thing happened...Other thing that I noticed was that the half cock feature wasn't always working....When i had the hammer group out the frame it seemed to work fine... could it be that the red army ammo was to hot for this gun?

I had a similar issue, but not identical with the TT-C that I bought from SOG. My pistol would seem to cycle and then you'd pull the trigger, and the hammer wouldn't fall. When I then tried to rack the slide, it was very difficult to do so. You can search for my thread on this issue, but, basically, it seemed that something (I suspect that an oversized magazine was partly to blame) was pinning the case against the side of the slide and keeping the round from being fully seated in the chamber or allowing the slide to move all the way forward - almost like the bore was too short for the case and too narrow for the bullet. I sent mine back to SOG (after calling them) and SOG gave me a new one. I would do the same if I were you. Unless you can work out a deal with them to pay for shipping (or hold an 01 FFL), be prepared for overnight shipping charges.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I bought the TT-C from a local guy...I truly don't believe the pistol had an issue before...Are the parts from a M57 interchangeable with the Romanian?

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    I bought the TT-C from a local guy...I truly don't believe the pistol had an issue before...Are the parts from a M57 interchangeable with the Romanian?

Everything but the frame should be interchangeable. Try putting the M57 hammer group in the TTC and see if it will cycle. If it does, there's yer problem... hammer groups are about $60...

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    First off thanks to those who tossed out knowledge on the TTC....

Before I get started please excuse my lack of parts names as I explain how I got this resolved.

So around 8 PM I decided to take apart the pistol once again and try using the Hammer group from my M57... The issue was still there..After racking the slide once and firing I wasn't able to get the slide back even with the hammer cocked. .What I did notice on the M57 trigger group was that the floating pin (shear pin?) in front of the hammer was shinning which wasn't like that when installed... I then flipped the slide over and looked at the back of the firing pin block...what I thought should have been smooth seemed to have some burs so I took some emery cloth and worked the corners down some and dressed up the bevel there as well.... With the barrel and recoil spring out ..I slipped the slide onto the frame....and while traveling back about 3/4 of the way I could feel the slide starting to drag.... So I checked the frame and inside the slide where the two would meet/rub for any burs... The surface didn't seem all the smooth ... so I dressed those up as well...Second run of only the frame and slide reviled that I still had an issue just before the slide was fully seated... So with a slight adjustment to the very front of the frame where the slide's font bottom section comes into the frame I was able to eliminate any drag..
    After cleaning and using some gun butter I decided I'd watch a youtube clip to make sure I wasn't missing any steps on putting her back together...

She now seems to cycle fine now... no more locking up of the slide after the hammer is dropped the first time..

BTW:: if you happen to find a small spring for the safety .. It's mine

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    First off thanks to those who tossed out knowledge on the TTC....

Before I get started please excuse my lack of parts names as I explain how I got this resolved.

So around 8 PM I decided to take apart the pistol once again and try using the Hammer group from my M57... The issue was still there..After racking the slide once and firing I wasn't able to get the slide back even with the hammer cocked. .What I did notice on the M57 trigger group was that the floating pin (shear pin?) in front of the hammer was shinning which wasn't like that when installed... I then flipped the slide over and looked at the back of the firing pin block...what I thought should have been smooth seemed to have some burs so I took some emery cloth and worked the corners down some and dressed up the bevel there as well.... With the barrel and recoil spring out ..I slipped the slide onto the frame....and while traveling back about 3/4 of the way I could feel the slide starting to drag.... So I checked the frame and inside the slide where the two would meet/rub for any burs... The surface didn't seem all the smooth ... so I dressed those up as well...Second run of only the frame and slide reviled that I still had an issue just before the slide was fully seated... So with a slight adjustment to the very front of the frame where the slide's font bottom section comes into the frame I was able to eliminate any drag..
    After cleaning and using some gun butter I decided I'd watch a youtube clip to make sure I wasn't missing any steps on putting her back together...

She now seems to cycle fine now... no more locking up of the slide after the hammer is dropped the first time..

BTW:: if you happen to find a small spring for the safety .. It's mine

Good job working it out!

I like shooting the Yugo's the most out of all the Tokarev clones I own, they fit my hand better than the shorter 8 round models. Having said that, the Yugos I own have REALLY rough machining compared to Romanian and Polish. I got a refurb or unissued M57 from Classic a while back, it is pretty sharp. BUT, the machine work was so rough, the slide would stay back against the recoil spring pressure because of friction. I spent a long time lapping the rails in and polishing mating surfaces before it felt right.

Before I worked on it, you would have thought there was a handfull of sand between the slide and frame.

Glad you got it working!

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Tool that's how mine felt on the TT-C....The M57 felt smooth...Few more weeks and I;ll be back up at in western MD where I plan to make sure she's running right....One thing for sure I'll be bringing back the dremil for some polishing of the feed ramp on both...

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Just a follow up ... Took the TTC up to Western MD with me this past weekend..... started off using some PPU ammo and she ran 2 mags with no issues.....Thought I'd take a chance and put three rounds of the Red Army Ammo in the mag and she ran fine...Ended up running 4 mags of Red Army Ammo through it with out any issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom