• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    So what steps do you take to clean your weapon after shooting corrosive ammo.. and what product brands do you use...Looking for some new ideas

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Let the games begin!

We go down this road every few months, so I'm going to start by saying that "Windex with Ammonia-D" doesn't contain any ammonia, and if you try to piss down the barrel of a Mosin, chances are that you're gonna miss!

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143111&highlight=Windex

Get a bottle of ammonia from the grocery store and make up a dilute solution to take to the range with you, mix up some Ballistol according to their website's instructions, or do a Google search for a recipe for "Ed's Red".

I just use a dilute ammonia wipe-through at the range, then clean the firearm as soon as I get home, starting with a flush using boiling water (you can get sets of flexible funnels at Walmart that work well for flushing rifle barrels).

All of the above, and other methods, seem to work. I've never seen anything near being a scientific report on which one works best. The closest that I've seen to that is that the military cleaner that the USA used to use back when all of our own ammo had corrosive primers used ammonia as perhaps the most relevant ingredient. If you ever come across a can of WWII military bore scrubber, you'll be able to tell that as soon as you open it. But you're removing a corrosive salt, so flushing the bore with plain water, followed by normal cleaning and oiling, is probably going to get results that are virtually the same as any method that's more exotic. Using boiling (or very hot) water just makes the water evaporate a little faster.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I agree with the above method. Spray a the range and then HOT soapy water when you get home. Oil well and store.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I agree with the above method. Spray a the range and then HOT soapy water when you get home. Oil well and store.

Topher - I'm not sure that soapy water is necessary. Although it would probably be too small an amount to matter, the soap could, in theory, leave some residue that would break down the oil that you use later. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts. Try to get plain (not "sudsy") ammonia, if you can find it. Plain hot water after that is probably all you need (and would be much better, by itself, than nothing at all).

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Topher - I'm not sure that soapy water is necessary. Although it would probably be too small an amount to matter, the soap could, in theory, leave some residue that would break down the oil that you use later. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts. Try to get plain (not "sudsy") ammonia, if you can find it. Plain hot water after that is probably all you need (and would be much better, by itself, than nothing at all).

I guess I am used to black powder.
    I do agree with you that if soap is used it must be rinsed completely.
    Your point is valid.

Chris

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

This is a nice article, but here's something I don't understand:

"If you are cheap [i.e., don't want to use Balistol and water] you can use Windex to flush Corrosive Salts from a Firearm. . . . Windex does NOT work better than Water Alone."

Then:

"If you are super cheap then just Water works ok[.]"

If Windex does not work better than water alone, they why not be "super cheap"?

I take a bottle of plain Windex to the range with me and spray down the bore and all over the bolt (after removal of course) at the range, and then I thoroughly clean the rifle when I get home (no later than that evening) with a powder solvent (my favorite cleaner is Gunzilla - if you haven't tried it, you should). I've never had any corrosion issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Windex works no better than water so its pointless for buying for this purpose. If you are not looking to buy stuff like ballistol then use water.

You seem to be the only person who doesn't get it considering how many thousands of people who have read my piece.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Windex works no better than water so its pointless for buying for this purpose. If you are not looking to buy stuff like ballistol then use water.

You seem to be the only person who doesn't get it considering how many thousands of people who have read my piece.

Clandestine - No need to be snarky with me. I wasn't being snarky with you or criticizing your article. I get it, trust me. I was asking you a question, which I'll lay out a little better below. You say "if you're cheap, use Windex". You then say that Windex doesn't work better than water. You then say, "if you're really cheap" just use Water. Your article implies that your preference is as follows: (i) water/balistol if you're willing to spend a little money; (ii) Windex if you're cheap; and (iii) water if "you're really cheap". My question was this - if you believe that Windex works no better than water, then why not just suggest either the water/balistol mix or water and leave out any mention of Windex. I was just curious if you'd suggest leaving out Windex altogether.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    This is a nice article, but here's something I don't understand:

If you read the 'nice article', try paying attention to this part: "The Ballistol Mixture cleans the Corrosive Salts with the Water and leaves a nice protective finish of Ballistol Oil once the Water evaporates"

Suppose something comes up when you get home from the range and you don't get to break out the gunzilla immediately? Kids need lunch, diaper needs changed, dog messed on the kitchen floor... you lock up your guns and deal with the emergency... much later you realize you rinsed out your firearm with plain water and left it sitting overnight.

Ballistol is cheap, it works, and has other uses as well.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Good, God.

Everyone acts like corrosive ammunition is made with real black powder or something.

Enjoy the gun, shoot the gun, and clean the gun when you can.

Corrosive ammo ain't gunna hurt jack.

It's not hygroscopic.

Geeze!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    If you read the 'nice article', try paying attention to this part: "The Ballistol Mixture cleans the Corrosive Salts with the Water and leaves a nice protective finish of Ballistol Oil once the Water evaporates"

Suppose something comes up when you get home from the range and you don't get to break out the gunzilla immediately? Kids need lunch, diaper needs changed, dog messed on the kitchen floor... you lock up your guns and deal with the emergency... much later you realize you rinsed out your firearm with plain water and left it sitting overnight.

Ballistol is cheap, it works, and has other uses as well.

Please, don't spin my words. I wasn't suggesting or arguing that the Ballistol/water mixture idea isn't the best option or that Ballistol isn't otherwise useful. I was simply pointing out/asking that it seems most people think that Windex is no better than water, so wouldn't it make sense to just take Windex out of the equation.

They key is removing the salts. However you can do that is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Correct. Don't overthink it. I've been shooting corrosive ammo in firearms worth $5K plus for years with no ill effects and I just use plain ol' Hoppes #9. Back in the 80's when I bought my first AK, I had no idea that the surplus Chinese ammo was corrosive. I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff through that rifle and used what I still use today...Hoppes #9. 26 years later and no crazy cleaning techniques ever employed and here is what the rifles guts and bore look like today:

The bore is chromed but nothing else is. Don't overthink it guys....it's NOT rocket science!!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Please, don't spin my words. I wasn't suggesting or arguing that the Ballistol/water mixture idea isn't the best option or that Ballistol isn't otherwise useful. I was simply pointing out/asking that it seems most people think that Windex is no better than water, so wouldn't it make sense to just take Windex out of the equation.

Gotcha. In reading your post:

it seemed as if you were implying there was no point in using anything but water. (ie, why not be super cheap all the time?)

I like using the mix just in case because I know stuff happens when you don't expect it.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I use boiling water, then hoppes #9, then regular cleaning, with a layer of remoil on at the end. I then check occasionally for any surface rust on things like muzzlebreaks [the psl is bad for that].

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom