Do you own a Beretta 96? If so, what do you feed it and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I recently bought a police trade-in Beretta 96 and was wondering which ammo others prefer and why. I'm looking to buy some ammo for it and want some ideas. It will be primarily be used as a range gun. Total .40cal newb here. Thanks

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    This is my 96FS police trade-in I got a couple of years ago. If you look close, you can see where I touched up some of the scrapes and dings. Like most police trade-ins, this one was well maintained and cared for. It will eat anything I feed it with out a hiccup but I get the best groups with Speer gold dot duty ammo.

96FS.jpg

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Awesome input. Thanks! Looks like I will be procuring a couple boxes of WWB and getting it out on the range. I really like how the gun feels in my hand. Can't wait to shoot it. I'll report back after I've taken it out!

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    The only thing that seems to not work well in mine is PPU (FMJ 115gr). Using OEM 15 round magazine clips (:sad20: watching too much TV news lately), this ammo fails to feed properly in my 96FS. Almost every other round jams on the way in. Ejects OK. I have yet to try it in my S&W 915.

Same day, after three magazine clips of frustration, I loaded the same mags up with some Remington and Federal ammo, and the gun resumed its normal and perfect operation.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The only thing that seems to not work well in mine is PPU (FMJ 115gr). Using OEM 15 round magazine clips (:sad20: watching too much TV news lately), this ammo fails to feed properly in my 96FS. Almost every other round jams on the way in. Ejects OK. I have yet to try it in my S&W 915.

Same day, after three magazine clips of frustration, I loaded the same mags up with some Remington and Federal ammo, and the gun resumed its normal and perfect operation.

Hhhmmmmm, so what model (variant) 96FS do you have???????? Is that the one that shoots .40 AND 9mm?????????

Dec 6, 2011
    Beretta's eat everything. Enjoy.

If you want to blacken the frame on a police trade in, aluminum black is your best bet for a fast fix and a good match.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    honestly, it eats everything from blazer aluminum case, to steel case, to whatevs.

Brassmaxx Tulammo is amazing, just BTW. Get some if you find it. Had some really good luck with it in all my guns, in all the calibers I've found it in.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I purchased mine in 1997 and have never had a problem with any kind of ammo. It has always been a favorite of mine to shoot.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 109
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 107

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Sorry for him & I hope he gets thru it. I got mine new in Mt. Airy at the Gun Shack and if I remember correctly it came with a membership with the Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association.

He's fine now. This was a few years ago. During the transfer process at the barrack, he made me promise I'd shoot him if he decided to get married again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom