• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    bang or boom? I have heard stories of people shooting 9x19 in star modelo supers [I have one] but never had the balls to try it myself.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    bang or boom? I have heard stories of people shooting 9x19 in star modelo supers [I have one] but never had the balls to try it myself.

Only difference is case length. I assume just bang.. unless its +p,+ ,(which some old guns is not good to use in).

Not going to recommend to try.. always follow manual and what's written on the barrel for correct ammo.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've seen crazyal fire 9mm Mak thru a 9mm Luger barrel.

Even he only did it once though. And he knew he was doing it too.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Could also be 380 brass shot in 9mm gun.

.380 cases are only about .016 smaller than 9 (but the bullets themselves are the same diameter). I think the swelling would be less but extraction would be harder ... thinking .40 and 9 - about .050

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Had a friend whose son shoot 9 mm out of his 40 cal Glock. He couldn't figure out why the firing pin broke until he saw the 9mm mag in the case with the 40 cal.

What really scares me is when I find straight wall .308 cases. That happens more then I care for.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think jaybee means why the bullet didn't cock sideways and breech instead of heading to the muzzle

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Damfinofish,
    I remember an article in (I think) the American Rifleman in the early1960s about mistakenly shooting the .308 in the M1(30-06) which produced those straight wall cases. IIRC, they came to the conclusion that it was not a big deal, and the accuracy was acceptable (at least for a few rounds-I don't think they advocated this as a regular practice). This was engraved in my memory because at the time, I was in the army and competing with an M14 on a battalion level rifle team.
    I also think that the 9mm fired in the 40 is not going to be a high pressure situation, so I am not clear about the alarmed predictions of danger above.
    I agree that the accuracy would be abysmal.
    DocAitch

bigangrysob

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2013
    Cow County
    Absolutely insane. One of the reasons i dislike public ranges. I refuse to be a statistic, caused by stupidity. If I'm gonna be hurt, it better be by my own hand.

So if it happens THAT often, i guess i better find time to join a club and utilize marriottsville GC.

Javantalith

Jan 18, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Don't think its 9mm shot out of a 40 because i saw the result of that this weekend. I went down to Tennessee to visit my family and we decided to go shoot guns. Under my recommendation my father had purchased a M&P 40 (his first handgun) and was going to shoot it for the first time. We had my wife's M&P 9MM with us. Well.. this being the backwoods of tennessee we just went to an open field that a friend owns up against a moutain and were using the back of my SUV as our prep area. I had loaded two mags with 9mm. while my back was turned my father picked one up and slammed it into his M&P 40. every other round was squibing nor was the gun cycling. i was in a near panic over what was going on with the ammo or the gun. As i was walking over to stop the madness our neighbor noticed the casings were a bit small. Everything got figured out at that point but i inspected the spent shells and squibs. There was no deformation of the brass but the strike on the primer was off center on each.

Can't believe i had to chew my dad out... Told him I was not going to shoot with him or mom again until they went to a basic NRA pistol class...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Looks to me those rounds fired out of battery. Ive seen that before. I had issues with CCI Large pistol primers, that would slam fire in my Thompson (heavy recoils springs with high bolt force), and they put bulges in the case like that from not being fully in the chamber. Once I switched brands - the problem was gone.

Ive also seen a Luger (9mm) that fired out of battery, do the same thing.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    had a hi point rifle fire out of battery on m once, tried using an extended 15 round promag without the sleeve. Mag went to far in and bent the firing pin, causing it to fix in the forward position. went to chamber a round and the round exploded out of the ejection port. literally blew the casing to shreds, bullet stayed right in the chamber. Used a cleaning rod to remove the bullet, and a gerber to set the firing pin right, continued to run flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom