• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    I know it's last-minute but let me know what you think.
    -Mike

My name is Michael Kelley and I reside in Parkville, MD.

I oppose SB281 because it makes no attempt to address the real problem at hand which is enforcement of existing gun laws in Maryland and the unbalanced penalties for breaking those laws.

On December 4, 2012, my home was burglarized. Among the numerous items stolen was a legally-purchased, regulated handgun. The burglars gained access to my safe and stole the handgun along with several other items such as shooting glasses, earplugs and tools.

I was notified two days later that two individuals had been arrested in connection with the burglary and the Baltimore County Police Department did manage to recover a few items. Unfortunately, the handgun was not one of the items recovered. I was told by the detective that the handgun had already changed hands several times and the sale, or transfer, was all done via pre-paid cell phones which could not be traced.

Recently, I received a letter from the State’s Attorney’s office asking if I would be available to testify against the two individuals, if necessary, when a trial is set. I immediately responded that I would and requested to be notified as to the case’s progress.

As I reviewed the charges being filed against the two individuals, one thing truly caught me by surprise and left me deeply offended. While they were being charged with several counts of Felony Burglary, the handgun charge (Posession/Sale/Transfer/Disposal of a Stolen Regulated Firearm) was classified as a Misdemeanor. It is my understanding that, in the event of a plea bargain or deal, this charge may very well be dropped.

In addition, I have read SB281 several times and have not come across any verbiage that addresses the issue of school safety. My daughter attends Perry Hall High School where, as I’m sure you know; a student brought a disassembled shotgun to school on the first day of this school-year and shot another student during lunch before he was disarmed by school staff. I have yet to find anything in this bill that would have prevented that.

It is my opinion that SB281 is a Public Relations stunt developed by the Governor’s office to give the appearance that something is being done that will keep our children safer in schools when, in reality, it is simply a knee-jerk reaction to the tragic events in Connecticut aimed only at law-abiding citizens purchasing firearms through legal channels. As I mentioned previously, criminals do not purchase firearms legally and, when caught with stolen firearms, they get the equivalent of a slap on the hand.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Sounds good to me! Prerpare for questions on how they accessed your safe. Reread and see if any opens you up to additional questioning.

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    I found this site posted here www.alwaysbecarrying.com
    you may want to mention some of the benefits of the armed citizen who used his firearm to defend his or herself.

‘People sleep peacefully in their beds because strong men stand ready to do violence upon those who would harm them’

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I was hoping you would speak. I think it's worth volumes as to just how this state is operating and how ineffective the laws that are enacted now really are. Kudos!

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    I'm nervous but I'm gonna sack up and just do it! Any opinions as to whether I should submit it as a written testimony or just verbal?

Hal3

Feb 2, 2013
    UMD
    Very nice, but perhaps a more forceful closing statement? It seems to end sort of abruptly.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I wish I could be there, but I have medical appts. I wrote to the Senate Judiciary Committee members. A few responded with auto-replies. When I wrote back, I got the same reply from one member, which is not altogether encouraging.

Hal3

Feb 2, 2013
    UMD
    I agree but I'm struggling with that. I'll keep working on it but suggestions are welcome :)

"Therefore, by further restricting law abiding citizens from their second amendment rights and ability to protect themselves, SB281 is yet another step down the road to tyranny and to facilitate this bill is criminal in the eyes of your fellow man."

Might have gone too far with the tyranny part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom