• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Don't classify myself as a "fanboy", but this is easy, 6.5CM is the future all the way. Inherently accurate by design. Not to take away from any other cartridges in the neighborhood....they all obviously work, 243, 25-06, 257, 7-08.... but the only one that has a base even remotely close to the 6.5 now is 243. Check ammo availability (not what's available now, but what's available, period). No contest, there's a wide selection, from light to heavy, from every mfr. It's up there with 223 and 308. Oh, and I didn't get a passthrough on a sika with my 7mag one time, so now I won't go with anything less than a 378 wby ;)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm actually in the exact same boat myself. What will the next bolt gun be. I've always wanted a quarter bore but the 6.5 seems to be the smarter choice to get away with a shorter barrel and less recoil. But my heart says I want a .25-06

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have not owned a 6.5 Creedmoor and dont plan to. I have enough calibers now also. I built quite a few of my own rifles on Mauser receiver's. The one is a 2506 and gave it to my son. He has did some unbelievable long shots with it in WV. He has shot deer well over 200 yards with it and accurate. Also two years ago the bullet punched through one deer and into a second by accident. He had to change to another type bullet. I also built a 257 Roberts and it is a tack driver also. I dont plan on a 6.5 because I also built a 6.5x55 and 308.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Spent a lot of time looking at ballistics and yeah all of the suggested are ballistically comparable if not equivalent.
    .257 Roberts & 6.5 Swede carry the least energy at distance, but have the lightest recoil
    25-06, 6.5 Creed, and 7mm-08 all have drop and drift about 5" at 250yds and 50" at 500yds
    Compared to the most popular cartridge in America (30-06) they throw similar energy with less recoil.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice. It is designed as a target round, efficient and inherently accurate. Plenty of power for deer or antelope. Target shooters and competitors use a lot more ammo than hunters, so the demand for 6.5 ammo will keep it available. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the future. Nothing wrong with the 25-06, but I would go with the Creedmoor.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice. It is designed as a target round, efficient and inherently accurate. Plenty of power for deer or antelope. Target shooters and competitors use a lot more ammo than hunters, so the demand for 6.5 ammo will keep it available. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the future. Nothing wrong with the 25-06, but I would go with the Creedmoor.

I could say the same thing about 243 Win. :innocent0

[EDIT] Ok - I am being a troll. Limited to the two calibers in the OP, I agree with the 6.5 CM choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom