• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    So I’m clearly ignorant on this topic - what exactly IS a pistol brace?

It's a device that fits over the buffer of an AR-style lower receiver, which as a bracket/strap/other mechanism that allows the rear of the buffer to be secured to the shooter's forearm, in order to allow the firearm to be shot single-handed, like a pistol. This allows owners to legally fit a pistol-length (<16") barrel to an AR without running afoul of the NFA as a short-barreled rifle. Or at least it did.

Most of them look like a very short rifle stock, and some idiots have posted YouTube videos of them using braces like rifle shoulder stocks.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Finally, this notice previews ATF's and the Department of Justice's plan to subsequently implement a separate process for current possessors of stabilizer-equipped firearms to choose to register such firearms in compliance with the NFA, including an expedited application process and the retroactive exemption of such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes.

Just wait until Everytown or one of the other Anti groups sues the GOV because DOJ had no legal authority to waive the NFA tax...and everyone who registered gets socked with a $200 tax bill by court order.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just wait until Everytown or one of the other Anti groups sues the GOV because DOJ had no legal authority to waive the NFA tax...and everyone who registered gets socked with a $200 tax bill by court order.

Just wait until GOA or NRA Sue’s the feds for violating federal law regarding the comment period time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Finally, this notice previews ATF's and the Department of Justice's plan to subsequently implement a separate process for current possessors of stabilizer-equipped firearms to choose to register such firearms in compliance with the NFA, including an expedited application process and the retroactive exemption of such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes.

Simple enough, choose not to

Doesn't appear that simple:

"Consequently, following issuance of this notice, ATF and DOJ plan to implement a separate process by which current possessors of affected stabilizer-equipped firearms may choose to register such firearms to be compliant with the NFA. As part of that process, ATF plans to expedite processing of these applications, and ATF has been informed that the Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith. This separate process may include the following options: registering the firearm in compliance with the NFA (described above), permanently removing the stabilizing brace from the firearm and disposing of it, replacing the barrel of the firearm (16” or greater for a rifle, or 18” or greater for a shotgun), surrendering the firearm to ATF, or destroying the firearm."

That still doesnt help Marylanders who have a <10.5 inch barrel pistol with a brace on it. I wonder what those people are going to do.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's a device that fits over the buffer of an AR-style lower receiver, which as a bracket/strap/other mechanism that allows the rear of the buffer to be secured to the shooter's forearm, in order to allow the firearm to be shot single-handed, like a pistol. This allows owners to legally fit a pistol-length (<16") barrel to an AR without running afoul of the NFA as a short-barreled rifle. Or at least it did.

Most of them look like a very short rifle stock, and some idiots have posted YouTube videos of them using braces like rifle shoulder stocks.
    I see. This for me it's similar to bump stocks. I have no personal interest in it, but at the same time I don't like the idea of having them regulated.

Surely there ATF knows that no one is going to voluntarily say, "here I am!"

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Will people still be able to do pistols with just the buffer tube and no brace?

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Doesn't appear that simple:

"Consequently, following issuance of this notice, ATF and DOJ plan to implement a separate process by which current possessors of affected stabilizer-equipped firearms may choose to register such firearms to be compliant with the NFA. As part of that process, ATF plans to expedite processing of these applications, and ATF has been informed that the Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith. This separate process may include the following options: registering the firearm in compliance with the NFA (described above), permanently removing the stabilizing brace from the firearm and disposing of it, replacing the barrel of the firearm (16” or greater for a rifle, or 18” or greater for a shotgun), surrendering the firearm to ATF, or destroying the firearm."

That still doesnt help Marylanders who have a <10.5 inch barrel pistol with a brace on it. I wonder what those people are going to do.

Buffer tube or not comply.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Will people still be able to do pistols with just the buffer tube and no brace?

As far as I can tell the answer is yes. There has been no mention of eliminating buffer tubes in this thing. They were on pistols long before braces came out. The more I read the published notice, the more things I pick up. People like FPC and GOA are going to have a stack of comments to send to the ATF over this one.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I purchased the Springfield Saint Victor 300 with the SBA3 brace. Still backordered. Supposedly will be mine in Jan. Ordered over the Summer. I want it now so that I can sink it in the Chesapeake.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    They now know what you have and they know where to find you when they come to take it.

When will the official info be released? Some might need to take the brave off or register as a SBR.

Some people are already on the list, so the extra registrations aren't huge except for the 5320 out of state travel issues.

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    You have to ask permission well in advance, to take the firearm to another state.

Failure to do so, carries severe penalties.

And as someone that lives close to PA with friends I there to shoot with on spur of the moment this sucks. I’ll submit a request for every weekend

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    How could they? NICS checks dont mention manufacturers, models or caliber..(sarcasm) or so ive been told
    Why does why of that matter? If they are coming for guns, they don't care about any of that. All that matters is that you bought a big, scary evil gun.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom