• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Plastic vanes NO GOOD for recurve, they bounce off the riser and cause fishtailing. Use feathers only.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    My arrows are flying very poorly. Lots of fish tailing. I may have made a mistake using aluminum arrows with plastic vanes. My points are 100. Going to try 125 and see what happens. I'm using 2219 arrows on a 50# bow.

Plastic vanes NO GOOD for recurve, they bounce off the riser and cause fishtailing. Use feathers only.

Since you'll be stripping off the plastic vanes, do some bare shaft tuning. You can google the term, lots of info.

Here's some info eders.com
    http://www.edersbow.com/bare-shaft-arrow-tuning/

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Are you shooting off the shelf or using a flipper type rest? If latter, vanes might still work. I think the bigger issue is that your 2219s are WAY too stiff. Try some lower-spined arrows if you have some.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I'm shooting off the shelf.
    I used the Easton Arrow Selector program to pick out what was supposed to be the correct arrow.
    Step one is that I ordered some 125 grain points. I'm gonna try that first.

I swear....I don't remember archery being this complicated years ago!!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I'm shooting off the shelf.
    I used the Easton Arrow Selector program to pick out what was supposed to be the correct arrow.
    Step one is that I ordered some 125 grain points. I'm gonna try that first.

I swear....I don't remember archery being this complicated years ago!!

Lol! It's not as complicated as some make it. I have a fletching jig for putting on some left wing helicals...I would be happy to demonstrate and loan it to you......after the crab feast..Lol!

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Lol, people have been shooting vanes off the shelf for years. Feathers are better, but vanes will still fly true. If you have ever watched an arrow when first released from the string you will see the shaft bend up and down. Archers paradox. Nock needs to be elevated.

Feathers are better.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My arrows are flying very poorly. Lots of fish tailing. I may have made a mistake using aluminum arrows with plastic vanes. My points are 100. Going to try 125 and see what happens. I'm using Easton 2219 arrows on a 50# bow.

Many Trad bows will shoot some where around 10# over draw weight. I shoot primitive which is much less center shot and shoot about a 42# arrow on a 55 pound bow. Now, that being said add an inch to the arrow and reduce the spine 5# and reduce it and inch and stiffen it 5#. Reduce the arrow head 25 grains and add 5# and add 25 grains and reduce the spine by 5#.

Attached is a word Doc I wrote years ago because of primitive archers I was running into that had not fathom of spine (Static) or Dynamic spine (shooting). Once out of compounds you need to worry more about spine.

Read up on Bare Shaft testing. This guys did it and matched his arrows to his bow. He shoots fairly good groups without fetching. Your fishtailing is due to spine problems or too high or low of a nock point.
    Bare shaft testing video

Good luck. :)

Attachments

• Finding the Correct Spine for You.doc
      40 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981