• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Need some technical advice. Just bought a Rough Rider .22/.22 mag SA 6 shooter. I know it's cheap, but it looks cool for $120., plus MIA.
    Anyway, I didn't perform my due diligence and the gun has a mechanical problem. When the trigger is at Stage 2 of 3, the cylinder should freely spin. Well, it's not. It spins maybe 1 or 2 chambers then there is this little gizmo (which may be called the hammer block but I'm not sure since the parts diagram is crappy) hits the cylinder from the bottom of the frame. This part moves as you cock the trigger and appears to be out of adjustment. So how do I fix? The manual says walk don't run your nearest gunsmith. I can do some stuff (I have screwdrivers). Thanks!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    You're going to have a lot of trouble describing things like this until you learn the difference between the trigger, the hammer, and the cylinder.

Allow me to translate: When the hammer is drawn back to half-cock, the cylinder should freely rotate clockwise. It doesn't. It moves one or two chambers, then the cylinder stop bolt rises up and keeps the cylinder from rotating.

There is a circular pin with a wedge-shaped cross section mounted in the hammer. It moves the stop bolt down. The two-fingered spring in the bottom of the frame moves it back up at full cock (and also resets the trigger). Improper timing of these parts is what I'd look at first.

If you're going to do the work yourself, an excellent idea if you want to learn new things, get a copy of Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West by David R. Chicoine

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Adjusting timing is a process that requires skilled fitting , not just dropping in a part.

The default answer is that if you have to ask , you shouldn't be attempting at home.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Try spraying solvent into the action and giving it a good flush then lube. You might try manually manipulating the hammer. You could also contact Heritage but I think SA revolvers always have idiosyncacies.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I found the problem. The screw directly north of the trigger was out of adjustment. I loosened it a half turn and that fixed the "fail-to-spin" cylinder issue. Thanks again.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Great news. I'm glad it was simple, and you found it before going to a lot of unnecessary work and expense. Now go shoot the bejeesus out of it. Check it for loose screws after every 48 or 60 rounds, especially the screw on the end of the ejector rod housing - that's the one that loosens up on my Single Six.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    In the future I also would not hesitate to contact the factory also. Heritage has an excellent reputation for customer service.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I shot about 30 rounds tonite....all working fine. Man, I'm glad that was an easy fix!!
    It's a pretty good shooter, lots of fun and cheap to shoot.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    So how do I fix? The manual says walk don't run your nearest gunsmith. I can do some stuff (I have screwdrivers). Thanks!

You do realize that this is how gunsmiths pay their mortgages...not off the original problem but off the at home fix.... :D

I'm glad it worked out for you this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom