• ...and so much more!
  • texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Hey all…

Although there are still some lingering small issues (working on some ,like the forum runner issue), most of the site changes are done. The major issue overall was many of the plugins here are old along with Vbulletin 3 and are no longer supported. Essentially you fix one thing and another fails. However it’s nice the site still runs and looks the same.

Going forward, something I did post to the mods/admins about are ads. For me/the site this is a slippery slope. I have been pondering this for some time, the best way to handle it.

The important thing in my decision was this sites history and the support it received from so many members. Also not plastering tons of ads all over the site from various ad networks like many places do. So in order to keep things as they were as much as possible, the decision I think best to try is to not show ads to current members.

I do want to try local ads, something the size of what’s seen in the sidebar on the homepage already, like 150x150. That would be the only ads shown to members.

Other than that folks not logged in, the goal would be to show only an ad under the navbar and in the first post from an outdoor based ad network. Maybe test a footer one later. Not sure. There will be a sidebar on the forum pages as well for the sponsored ads. I prefer sidebars on sites, in this case going to great lengths keeping the old software for everyone, I want to not show the sidebar to members logged in as well.

I know this will not be a popular move, the mods and admins I’m sure would prefer zero ads. However I have to find some balance and I hope this plan will work. This is not just my call, however I am going with my more very minimalist approach. Along with I will be doing more giveaways and such. I think it could really work out.

Thanks!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm OK with a few ads. I understand the site has expenses.

Particularly, if you tie in to a gun/outdoor ad agency. If it's driven by what's posted here, we're in a heap of trouble. I'd be seeing horse and ball gag ads.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I am sure it's easier from a technical perspective but as other has mentioned, I hate the mobile version. I used to be able to see the desktop version on my phone Apple and Droid and not I can't. By nature I hate change especially when the older stuff worked just perfect for me. Please don't make the ads overt and annoying. I know, I read your OP but we all know how this works. I like this place I'd hate to see it ruined. For me personally the changes have been negative so it's kind of starting.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    My only question here is if the ad network is straight image banners with no scripting or if we're going to see flash/js ads here. I'm running noScript specifically to mitigate getting a virus from an advertisement.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Ads would be straight forward, whatever sponsors would provide. No odd scripts. However they would only be on the homepage of the site for members, and only in the sidebar which is already there. No different then what is already there actually. The forum and inner pages would stay the same. The other ads are basic banner ads showing to non logged in folks. Nothing odd, like truck ads, cabelas and such normally.

I took down donations for the reason as to not confuse folks. Meaning you all or many have donated to help keep it going. So that would not be what the funds would be mostly used for now. Most sites do ads and accept donations. That would be fine, we would use the donations for giveaways and other things specifically for the site. Right now seemed best to address ads first. Ads are yes much bigger in revenue although I have no clue how that will pan out here.

Sorry for those that did not like the responsive deign. While a few may like browsing a huge site such as this on a phone by scrolling left and right and such, most do not, not to mention Google will penalize the site and may have already. That change was not for any personal preference rather totally a technical need. Feel free to Google the issue of not having a mobile friendly site and how Google sees it. Loads of articles out there on it. Most have PM'ed and emailed they love it, it responds to the device they use, making browsing a ton faster and easier. Sorry. I cannot change that. I have only come in to make repairs at this point, as I see it the site looks 100% the same.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Well I'm certainly not trying to be a hero yet simply trying to find some balance. I want the members to have the same experience as before. Hence the responsive design as opposed to a mobile switch over design did just that. And the homepage already has 2 sidebars with banners in them. So local sponsored stuff will blend in to me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think folks need to realize the site likely started as a hobby or something to create a bit of side income.

It has likely grown to the point where it has potential to make someone else money. That's why someone from Texas owns it now.

I don't like ads but if they are as described it's hard to complain. I just suspect that the ads will continue to grow.

As long as we avoid text ads...those things are awful when you scroll a post.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    They do no have to grow actually. As has been the case on other sites. I have no clue how performance will go and will find about and communicate. Example I hate Taboola or bate and switch ads. I hate stay on page footer ads. I want it to be clean. I also see no issue with a single ad under the navbar either. But I want to avoid all of that for members totally. I am truly 100% hoping this strategy will last and work. And yes I will communicate totally on it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    As I only use the site while logged in, I'll refrain from commenting on the ad issue (other than to say that I'm in the "no ads in the forums area" camp).

For the new design... growing pains are what they are... but it sucks that Google can put that sort of pressure on a private enterprise. It's not perfect (and I think the site isn't sure whether a Win8.1 device is mobile or not), but I'd rather have it rocky and in good hands, than at the whim of the enemy.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My personal opinion would be keep the donation drive when needed and forego the ads. I'm a member of other forums that use ads and it has become overpowering. Once that door is opened, it always seems to open wide. You need to do what you need to do, that is best for this forum.

But officially, my box is checked for no ads, if that's an option.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So I am sure it's easier from a technical perspective but as other has mentioned, I hate the mobile version. I used to be able to see the desktop version on my phone Apple and Droid and not I can't. By nature I hate change especially when the older stuff worked just perfect for me. Please don't make the ads overt and annoying. I know, I read your OP but we all know how this works. I like this place I'd hate to see it ruined. For me personally the changes have been negative so it's kind of starting.

Pretty much the way i feel too

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm no fan of ads but I understand how life works. I'm grateful for everything I've learned here and the friends I've made. If ads are the price for this f o rum to continue its a price I'll be glad to pay.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Pressure Google? Is that possible? They made that Change around last April or May. It significantly hurt many sites. VB3 though from what I understand Google seems to do well with. Indexes it well, etc. I did not want to go to Xenforo, the changes would have been drastic. Most of the time with forums you do not have to worry about Google changes, this one was a must. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom