• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfshaker

Mar 3, 2009
    Cecil County
    I am venturing into the 6.5 Creedmoor world. I was wondering if anybody here has hand loaded this caliber, and if so, what recipe is a winner for 140 grain. Thanks guys!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't load for the Creedmoor, but I do load for the .260Rem - and I can say that H4350 is definitely a winner in my rifle.

But good luck finding H4350 in stock, I bought all I could find the last time I resupplied, and haven't seen it 'in-stock' since.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't load for the Creedmoor, but I do load for the .260Rem - and I can say that H4350 is definitely a winner in my rifle.

But good luck finding H4350 in stock, I bought all I could find the last time I resupplied, and haven't seen it 'in-stock' since.

Now that I have a 6.5CM...could use that powder again. If you find some shoot me a pm please.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Now that I have a 6.5CM...could use that powder again. If you find some shoot me a pm please.

Will do. :thumbsup:

(Worst case scenario, I think I can spare a pound for the guy that turned me onto H4350. ;) )

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How close is IMR4350 to the H? Reading many reload 6.5 w it. Most say interchangeable but since made in a different factory have to work up a load w it. It sure is a lot easier to find.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How close is IMR4350 to the H? Reading many reload 6.5 w it. Most say interchangeable but since made in a different factory have to work up a load w it. It sure is a lot easier to find.

Going by E.Shell's word, not EXACTLY similar.

I haven't loaded with IMR4350, but I can say that I have yet to find as stable a load as I have with H4350.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I have test loads loaded up, just not had time to try them.
    Loads include,
    H-4350
    RL-17
    H414
    Superformance
    Ramshot Hunter
    A-2700
    N-550
    Big Game

I'll post the results here when I get them done

Ken

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA

I was shooting reloads at the class with IMR 4451.

Its as temp stable as H4350, but its slightly undercharged (required about 2% more to be equivalent charge wise)

Try some out (its in the pink bottle, and its the Enduron series)

I found an accuracy node between 40.6gr and 41.8gr (41.4 is listed max)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I was shooting reloads at the class with IMR 4451.

Its as temp stable as H4350, but its slightly undercharged (required about 2% more to be equivalent charge wise)

Try some out (its in the pink bottle, and its the Enduron series)

I found an accuracy node between 40.6gr and 41.8gr (41.4 is listed max)

how far off the lands are you? Or loading to mag length?

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I am about to start reloading 6.5 Creedmoor and my goal is to load rounds that will work well for Ed Shell's class and then for long range precision.

I have a lee turret press and recently purchased but haven't set up a Dillon 650.

My question is what dies should I get? Are the Hornady Match dies worth it or should I go with RCBS?

I should add, that I only have one rifle in this caliber (a Savage bolt action) and do not plan on using the brass in another one. So, I was thinking of fire forming the brass and possibly only neck sizing? I am extremely new to precision rifle reloading so any and all suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I am about to start reloading 6.5 Creedmoor and my goal is to load rounds that will work well for Ed Shell's class and then for long range precision.

I have a lee turret press and recently purchased but haven't set up a Dillon 650.

My question is what dies should I get? Are the Hornady Match dies worth it or should I go with RCBS?

I should add, that I only have one rifle in this caliber (a Savage bolt action) and do not plan on using the brass in another one. So, I was thinking of fire forming the brass and possibly only neck sizing? I am extremely new to precision rifle reloading so any and all suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks
    If your serious about shooting long range and only plan to have one rifle in 6.5CM, might be better to have a custom die made? Full length bushing die would be best, setting the shoulder back 1-2 thousands.

Neck sizing only works, until the bolt gets hard to close and would hate for that to happen on the first day of a 3 day shoot.

To be honest, the factory 140 eld worked for me out to 1200 yards, we'll 3 out of the 5 times. I'm sure the misses were me and not the ammo.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I use a set of Redding dies. A micrometer seating die is nice for developing a load, but once that is done the die will be set anyway. You can still adjust a regular seating die, it just takes a little more tuning. As far as a load, find (and look hard) H4350 and a good 140ish grain bullet. Somewhere in the area of 42-43 grains of powder and you will do just fine. My load is 43.1 with a hornady 140 bthp. Speed is right at 2815.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Any good brand of dies that you are used to using will work fine. I've loaded quite a bit of precision rifle ammo.

I'd love to tell you my expensive Redding Dies load way better ammo than my cheap Lee dies, but I really can't demonstrate it. (and my standards are pretty high)

The Redding dies are a little easier and "nicer" to work with, but as mentioned above, once they are set up it matters little. Not saying you shouldn't get the ones you want, just that the consistency of your reloading technique matters more that how fancy your equipment is. I have Lee and Redding presses and dies, and use a mix of them. I can load ammo good enough to win any practical/ tactical long range match with my Lee Turret press and dies.

I full length size every time, just enough that they chamber with no resistance.

Looks like we're practically neighbors, give me a shout if I can help.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    imr44350 and H4350 - loads are not interchangeable... they are not exactly the same. however they are very close. Generally if it shoots good with one, you will get similar results with the other. That said you will have to tweak the loads for each to find the sweet spot. I am shooting IMR4350 with 120's and getting cloverleafs if I do my part.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm in the same boat. Been looking for H4350 for a month now. Nothing at the stores, Ho Co or Chantilly gun shows. Ended up buying a 5lb of R17, which I've heard really good things about. IMR4350 would work too.

Not to pull you to another forum, but there is a 6.5 Creedmoor forum which has a wealth of knowledge for working up loads.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA

Thanks

All presses do the same thing to one degree or another. The real ticket is the dies.

I run forster dies for my 6.5, and they're great. The Full length barely *BARELY* bumps the neck and body back to chamber dimensions, and I seat with a forster micrometer die.

Forster dies are a little less expensive than reddings, and I honestly feel the quality is higher than the reddings.

I know that seems like blasphemy to some, but its my personal opinion. I dont like getting gouged extra for minor features that come stock on other brands of dies for marginally less cost.

You in theory would be best served by a Forster neck die, forster micrometer seating die, and a lee body size die (for when the cartridge gets hard to chamber)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom