• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangaZulu

Dec 19, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    Any recommendations? She struggles to operate the slide on my S&W MP9 and I'm looking for a second home protection handgun, which could be her primary. I considered a 380 but would prefer to stay with the same caliber.
    Suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Struggles? Are you teaching a push/pull method?

If she is struggling with a semi auto's slide the only alternative is a revolver.

What is she struggling to do with the semi? Racking it?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I understand the concern. I have a good friend who has some issues with her wrist due to surgery. She has a hard time with even an MP shield 9mm. She can however rack a 380 slide. Nothing wrong with 380, I know it's a different caliber but that might be a good thing. She may have apprehension if she doubts her ability to use the 9 mm. Plus she won't steal all your ammo lol

Due to whatever reason some people cannot rack a slide, it's best to find the gun that fits the person, not try to force a person to fit to the gun.

I thought I saw a new Taurus that had leverage wings on the back of the slide, my Google fu is weak tonight, maybe someone else can find it.

TD

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Someone who has an issue racking a slide should not be using that gun as a primary self defense pistol.
    Adding "pull the trigger back" is something that should not be introduced as a matter of self defense gun shooting ritual.
    Do whatever you want, I only say this because you mentioned primary self defense pistol.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I thought I saw a new Taurus that had leverage wings on the back of the slide, my Google fu is weak tonight, maybe someone else can find it.
    There was a thread within the last 2 weeks about devices to assist in racking the slide for someone with arthritis. Handy racker and slide pull were 2 that were mentioned

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    I understand where you are coming from. Purchased a Walther PK380 for that exact same reason. The reviews out there are mixed, we have not had 1 single issue with ours. The slide is like racking a .22 and it has a pretty large frame so it is easy to handle.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's

If she is struggling with a semi auto's slide the only alternative is a revolver.

this is she using a proper technique to rack the slide? or the typical "male/tv" lack of technique pinch with two fingers and pull back?

2nd would be try various guns as I have noticed a difference in perceived racking force between the 3 9mm's I have, perhaps compare some full size longer slide versions against regular vs compact as there might be difference in spring force due to the additional slide weight

3rd if due to grip strength look at racking devices or a revolver or some sort of long gun as a suitable alternative.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

This is the question. You need to teach her how to rack the slide by pushing. Have her hold the pistol in her dominant hand and grab the slide with the other. Then tell her to focus on pushing the frame forward rather than pulling the slide back.

Rack%20the%20slide%201web.jpg

As for a suggestion in 9mm, one thought would be a 1911 in 9mm. Slim frame and smooth recoil.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I understand where you are coming from. Purchased a Walther PK380 for that exact same reason. The reviews out there are mixed, we have not had 1 single issue with ours. The slide is like racking a .22 and it has a pretty large frame so it is easy to handle.
    This. My wife has the same problem with racking. Got her the PK 380 and she scored 100% on her live fire for her permit renewal. Her pattern was much tighter than when she used my XD40. This handgun was designed specifically for women, with an easy to rack slide and smaller grips to better fit a woman's hand. She has fired somewhere around 500 rounds through it and had only maybe 3 or 4 failure to feed which was her fault for releasing the slide too softly after inserting a fresh mag. You can't go wrong with this gun.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've never shot one, held one, or even seen one in person so it could be a POS for all I know but take a look at the Walther CCP which is supposed to have a slide that's easier to manipulate.

http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Take her to the local gun shop, and let her fondle different handguns, and see what she likes.

Someone who has an issue racking a slide should not be using that gun as a primary self defense pistol.
    Adding "pull the trigger back" is something that should not be introduced as a matter of self defense gun shooting ritual.
    Do whatever you want, I only say this because you mentioned primary self defense pistol.

This^^^

And to this I'll add another thought. Training and repetition in technique can almost certainly correct the slide racking issue for most women most of the time. It won't however correct the problem of a semi-auto handgun, thought to be and supposed to be and desired to be a primary defensive tool for her, coupled with infrequent use. As oftentimes happens, if the man is the frequent shooter, and the woman is a once or twice a year range companion? As enamored as we tend to be with semi-autos nowadays, I'd suggest that she (or anyone else with a similar lack of use reality for that matter ) is going to be better off with something other than a semi-automatic handgun.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I know a few females that shoot regularly. They gravitate towards the XD-s9 and the ruger LC9s pro that I have ...just my 2 cents

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    CZ-75. Pull the hammer back and it cuts the effort to pull the slide in half.

This. Also consider the CZ RAMI or FNS-9. Both offer a decocker/safety which seems to tame my wife's reluctance a bit. Although the RAMI may be a problem with it's midget slide. The FNS would be good due to it's large surface area for slide operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom