• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    You guys should consider charging a membership fee. That would probably cut down on the spam members and also generate some funds to fight gun grabbers. $100 a year x the active members would be a nice chunk of change to fight absurd gun laws like sb281. Just a suggestion.
    Idea has been raised before; the site admins/owners have explained their reasons for not going down that route. The thread is around here somewhere.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Norton is swamped even with just processing registrations and email. Taking on membership fees and all that associated record keeping might be more than any of the admins/mods want to take on.

That's why donations are easier on the staff.

Just my .02 of course.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Swinokur, you're correct of course. Paid registrations/renewals would have to be automated to be feasible. Way easier said than done.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Looking for a way to help fund the Board? Why don't donations work? Our sense of community would go down if it became striuctly a fee structured Forum IMO.

Don didn't start this as a for profit endeavor. He had some additional expenses and asked for a little help. Some of us donated.

Turning this into a for profit Enterprise would entail more work than the current staff could probably handle. Acct's receivable, fee tracking, taxes, etc.We would lose a lot of good members if they start charging as was outlined.

It's not a red herring if the objective is to raise money to off set expenses.

Unless you want it to be.

Well, profit is not a bad thing, but my suggestion was meant to fund the fight against things like SB281 which I specifically mentioned. Some people read what they want to, I guess.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You guys should consider charging a membership fee. That would probably cut down on the spam members and also generate some funds to fight gun grabbers. $100 a year x the active members would be a nice chunk of change to fight absurd gun laws like sb281. Just a suggestion.

Ermagersh, dat's never be though of befur. You should tell DD214.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Ermagersh, dat's never be though of befur. You should tell DD214.

Maybe it should be revisited now that SB281 is here and that Anthony Brown is trying to make it look like people take AR15s to the grocery store and leave them at playgrounds. If people aren't willing to pay, this community is prolly not as large or as dedicated as people want to think.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are plenty of other organizations working on our behalf to do this.

Maryland Shooters has the distinction of being THE best place for 2A folks to gather and exchange information.

That seems to be a worthy goal for each group without duplicating efforts.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    There are plenty of other organizations working on our behalf to do this.

Maryland Shooters has the distinction of being THE best place for 2A folks to gather and exchange information.

That seems to be a worthy goal for each group without duplicating efforts.

Fair enough.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Was that necessary? Seems like I add lots of value to this community, lots of folks on here have scored .22lr thanks to me.

You've received the only infraction I've ever seen for "general impertinency". Now you want to add a membership fee and don't care if it drives off casual membership. Frankly I'm not nearly as impressed by your contributions as you are, but you're entitled to your opinion.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    :bowdown::bowdown:

:lol2:

Attachments

• clap.gif
      clap.gif
      120.1 KB · Views: 210

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'll say it again…..

MDShooters is a free site.

MDShooters has a donation mechanism who would like to help out.

MDShooters is largely funded by the businesses that are Industry Partners.

Spend your money with the Industry Partners and let them know why you shop with them, so that they will continue to be Industry Partners.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I can understand why some might think a fee would act as a firewall.

But... the membership here (and especially the mods) do the best job I've ever seen policing the crowd.

As for dissenters? Don't like it, start your own site.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I have referred several new shooters to this website. A few of them I actually walked to the gun counter and helped them find and buy their very own Second Amendment Tool. Thank you MDShooters for keeping it free of charge!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You've received the only infraction I've ever seen for "general impertinency". Now you want to add a membership fee and don't care if it drives off casual membership. Frankly I'm not nearly as impressed by your contributions as you are, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Wow, message received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom