Gauging Interests----A Maryland Shooters Sprint Run Forum Knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you purchase a MD Shooters Limited Edition knife? (see post for knife details)

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 40 25.0%
    • Yes, conditionally (please specify)

Votes: 41 25.6%
    • Probably—but still undecided

Votes: 39 24.4%
    • Maybe—undecided

Votes: 19 11.9%
    • No

Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Not actually an ESEE made knife. Another company just licensed the name.

true, but it's the only ESEE folder i'm aware of... other than the mythical IZULA folder that was suppose to start production some time this year.
    http://www.eseeknives.com/izula-folder.htm

izula-folder.jpg

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Benchmades are primarily made in the US with the exception of their entry line (formally Red Class). The Griptilian line is 100% American. The nylon used for the handle is sourced locally, the steel is from Crucible, and the assembly is in Oregon. The Spyderco Delica and Endura are made partly in Japan and partly in Colorado (they have 100% USA models but the Delica/Endura are hard to beat value-wise). Kershaw makes 1/3 of their knives in the US, ZT virtually all, and most other larger makers have US and imported products. The Griptilian is not an assisted knife…opening mechanism depends on the model as they have both a round hole model and a thumb stud one. Both it and the Delica/Endura line are true one-handed openers/closers.

The reason I did not list Kershaw is that they really don't do much in this area. If we did just a Mini-Grip in 154CM, a colored handle, and a laser engraving, the cost could hypothetically be $60-ish. If we did a Delica or Endura in a color and VG-10 steel, it could potentially be even less. This of course depends on volume and the ability to choose a design. I do love my Orange Skyline tho…great knife, great price, and def a good candidate…especially given the lower cost would allow fancier engraving

The issue with custom/semi-custom knives is partly cost, partly sourcing, and partly lack of familiarity leading to lower participation rates. Forum Knife runs ideally should be as large as possible in quantity to drive down the costs. Names like Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, Kershaw, etc. are names largely recognized that people will identify with and the branding could increase the run participation. Also, the LE presence on this forum is very strong and Spyderco, Benchmade, and Zero Tolerance are heavy hitters here due to reasonable prices and excellent working abilities.

As a general rule, I would say based on my own experience (i.e. failure) that Forum Knives that are fixed blades, not one-handed opening/closing, utilize locking mechanisms not well known, have an overly large/small blade, use steels that double, triple, or quadruple+ the cost, have unusual blade grinds, do not offer an all-plain-edge model, or don’t have pocket clips do not tend to be very large group buys. Many people immediately identify the Griptilian and Endura/Delica line as they are some of the most iconic knives made and are hugely popular (Kershaw Leek and Skyline too, for sure). I also figure if we did go in-house on the design that it would potentially bring the cost down a lot (but worth researching). So that’s why I threw the idea of BM/Sp out there tho I’d be up for anything as I like all knives, especially Forum Knives. If we went with a small local maker, I think it would be much more popular if it were done the year after a Forum Knife with a mainstream design was released (more familiarity).

If we went through a local engraver, what would costs be at? An in-house laser engraving would probably be most economical given it would have minimal affect on the costs but I def think local would be more meaningful. Does anyone know laser/hard engravers and how much per-knife we would be looking at? (say an etched logo and the forum name, possibly unique numbering)…

A factory direct sprint run would be ideal instead of a group buy from a shop of a production model that a 3rd party engraves. I would set the target cost at $100, maybe more depending on features like a better base model, or better steel like M4 or XHP.

I like the idea, but the problem with this is that you will quickly see the knife spiral out of costs. Most of the Benchmade Forum Knives have used materials like CPM-M4 or carbon fiber and their final MSRPs have been between $150-225. I just don’t think that would be viable here as most people would probably use the knives rather than collect and may not want to spend as much. And for those using them, easy-upkeep stainless steels may be preferred by some. Do you know what we would be looking at locally price-wise with the engraving?

If we were able to do something like a Delica and keep the costs between $55-65, I think participation would probably be much more than at $100-120.

I could be completely wrong about everything above…I’m basing it on my experience with a few other Forum Knives and it could be completely irrelevant beyond that particular run. But I would argue that especially if this has not been done on this forum before that staying somewhat basic may be worth it. It would allow people to see the processes involved, and gain experience to show we could bring a product to match our expectations...likely sparking further interests if future runs would be more elaborate, unique, or expensive.

(sorry for the long post!)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgot to mention...another thing we could do to add some unique is a lanyard/bead system. Here's a few pics of my Spyderco Delica...it's an unusual Spyderco in that it was Spyderco's first ZDP-189 blade, and one of the first knives to have a completely solid ZDP-189 blade, only 1200 were made, and by-far the least expensive (and hardest) ZDP-189 used on a folder to date. But if you arent a knife freak, it's a Delica with a blue handle. Kind of plain actually.

I wanted to give it some custom character. I added a lanyard using two blues...one lighter and one darker, and finished it with the Spyderco Round Pewter Lanyard Bead (actual Spyderco product)...it has a little more character now.

One thing that just popped into my head was do a lanyard (maybe boxed) that uses red and gold as two primary colors and white/silver as the secondary color to mimic the forum colors. Perhaps add an anodized lanyard bead or even one with the logo/name engraved on it. This would give a much more customized look...

Attachments

• 2013-11-09 04.29.59-1.jpg
      2013-11-09 04.29.59-1.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 513
    • 2013-11-09 04.30.17-2.jpg
      2013-11-09 04.30.17-2.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 526
    • 2013-11-09 04.29.39.jpg
      2013-11-09 04.29.39.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 533

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I hit the guy at Benchmade who handles such runs with an email asking him about feasibility to see if it was a possibility (still pending on if enough people would be interested, if the Forum would be OK with an official knife, and if the colors/engraving/options/design generates enough interest based on cost). Benchmade will do a sprint run for us, and they can do pretty advanced laser-engraving to add that degree of customization.

We could customize these any way we want...standard 154CM steel up to some of the supersteels, virtually any color, numerous blade types and options. Let's say hypothetically we were to do a run is a Mini Grip AXIS with one of the many colors (or split colors) that Benchmade can do and have it engraved in-house and delivered for under the proposed price. What would you like to do about the engraving? (regardless of who does it...)

With what Benchmade has, we could physically draw/create a logo, and they can then upload it to a computer which will do the engraving. The logos with laser engraving can get pretty detailed. I imagine most engravers probably can do the same things but don't know enough to say either way for sure. The engraving could be a black blade with off-white engraving, or a satin or polished blade with black engraving. Click HERE to see the customizable options on the Benchmade Griptilian family... (note that the price shown is MSRP and not SRP/CRP)

Laser Engraving on the black coated blade
    a024d8c7.jpg

Final.jpg

Laser Engraving on a satin/polished blade
    ofagrip2.jpg

Griptilian%20proto%20blade.JPG

Some of the Griptilian colors (the OD tans, greens, grays, and blacks are most popular, often with one black side and one tan, silver/gray, or green side.)
    259.jpg

Has anyone checked in with a local engraver to see what we'd be looking at time-wise and cost-wise? (I imagine what gets engraved will impact the price but still curious)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Id be interested as long as:

1) 100% american made
    2) quality knife
    3) under $100
    4) I like the way it looks

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Standard 550 Griptilian(mini Grips are tiny), axis lock, spyderhole with modified sheepsfoot, or whatever Benchmade calls their version of it(like the yellow with black blade on top), Maroon handles, engraved logo and banner like the top of the MDS page, and the best steel that the group can afford. Ultimately It's your baby, you know blades, pick what you think is best, and I know it won't disappoint.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    As for the engraving, I have requested a couple of quotes. An unknown quantity makes it a little hard to get definite pricing.

The first quote I got was $3 a word and $12 a logo and the logo had to be scaled down dramatically. For putting "MARYLAND SHOOTERS 2014 FORUM KNIFE" on one side of the blade, it would be about $20 per-knife. Add the logo and about $33 per knife. If we wanted to do both sides, it would be a good bit through this quote although they may very well vary a good bit.

If we were to go through Benchmade, their retail price of engraving is as follows:
    $7 per knife for text AND logo, which covers both sides, in our chosen font, with our designed images...our cost would be less than the $7 retail price. They can get up to three lines of text on the blade, per-side, two larger lines on each side, and pretty elaborate logos including the one this forum uses, slightly scaled down.
    http://www.benchmade.com/lasermark/index.aspx

The knife could be something along the line of:
    side 1 (front side with Benchmade Butterfly logo)
    MARYLAND SHOOTERS
    2014 FORUM KNIFE
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

side 2 (rear side with blade steel marked and small designer logo)
    MARYLAND (lo 2014 FORUM
    SHOOTERS go) KNIFE
    www.mdshooters.com

I attached a Paint Creation...feel free to modify it to play around with it some

Attachments

• MD Shooters Mini Grip Markup2.jpg
      MD Shooters Mini Grip Markup2.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 1,232

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I Would probably be down
    My vote is for Benchmade , I have worked with them before and have owned probably 30+ knives :thumbsup:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd be in for a Benchmade. I think text on both sides it too cluttered; text on one side, shield logo on the other would suit me. I'd be in anyway, of course, irrespective of final design choice.

JessyPR

Υ Σ Μ Χ
    Feb 26, 2013
    AA County
    I'd be in for one. I think that tan handle, black (not serrated) blade and engraving on one side would be a good choice. Anyways, I'd still be interested as long as it's good quality at a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom