• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I have a Cabela's .54 caliber deer hunting carbine, with a set trigger, and a real problem with the hammer hitting the percussion cap, but not setting it off, on every other trigger pull. Is there a simple solution to this problem with the sidelock's hammer? Does the set trigger make it worse to deal with? Should I just send it to them to fix and spare myself total aggravation? :sad20:

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    The nipple is as new as the carbine, it has had about 35 shots fired and about 35 light hits, it is some sort of Italian nipple, some one else made it for Cabela's and the treads do not match my Thompson Center replacement fire nipple, I was hoping that the fire nipple would fit, but it does not.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Are you using the correct size primer. #10 or #11?

If you are using one that is too small, a lot of the hammer energy will be expelled trying to get the inside face of the primer to make contact with the nipple face.

If the correct sized nipple falls off, just give it a little pinch and it will stay in place.

Also, make sure the face of the nipple is squared off/very flat face. Dress it down with a file if need be. And check the squareness of the hammer face to the nipple face. Both circular surfaces should mate. Not just strike on one side of the nipple/primer.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Also, make sure the face of the nipple is squared off/very flat face. Dress it down with a file if need be. And check the squareness of the hammer face to the nipple face. Both circular surfaces should mate. Not just strike on one side of the nipple/primer.

This is something that came to me today too. If the sits in a powder drum (a cylinder set into the side of the barrel versus being part of the breech block), ensure it is rotated so that the top nipple meets the hammer face at the same angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom