Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    Check your PM box Redneck....

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    Ok, Ok.... :D

Here's the break down.

1. Tape off anything you don't want painted; bolt, shoulder pad, elevation/windage numbers, ect, and put a foam earplug in the muzzle to keep any paint out. (and make sure you're lens covers are closed... lol)

2. I hung my rifle up in the rafters using wire, muzzle up. (use the swivel stud)

3. Put on a good even coat of automotive primer. (gray) Let dry.

4. I used Rustoleum Camo spraypaint I got from Home Depot; tan, foliage green and dark earth. Start with a base coat of tan. Then use vegetation that matches your environment, hold against the rifle and spray the green on in short bursts. After that dries, do the same with a different type of grass ect. and the brown paint.

The paint is "Meh..." on durability, but that's the beauty of spray paint... If you want a safe queen, get someone to duracoat it. But if you want a "working" rifle, spray paint it up!! lol (another + for spraypaint is you can change it up quickly depending on where you go to shoot/hunt)

5. If you look at the photos of my rifle, you'll notice that even though there is some small detail, there are big "regions" of like colors. If you are familiar with the concept of camoflage, from far away, "busy" patterns like mossyoak turn into blobs that give you away. The less "busy" a pattern the better. ***The bottom of your rifle should always be lighter than the top.***

Hints:
    1. Change out vegetable matter often, once you hit it with the paint a few times it gets soaked and will leave splotches on your rifle when you move it.

2. Make sure you wipe the whole rifle down with denatured alcohol and let dry before painting. (will remove any oils that keep paint from sticking, so you need to oil the basics after the paint is dry)

I can't take credit for all these ideas, I got most of it off the snipershide.com forum. Some of those rifles put mine to shame.

Hope this helps!!

No pics... got too carried away painting!!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Thanks!

I've got to get around to painting my M1a stock. I'm a little nervous about getting started.

I appreciate the step by step. Dan (gun connection) had recommended the Krylon Fusion primer as a starting point but I hadn't thought much beyond that.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Love the pics guys awesome guns .. longtime ago an still have .. I do nto have a pic of one of my babies but here is a brief ..

Remington 700 rebarrled with 26inch med hvy douglas brl in 30'06 ackly improv leupold 3.5x10 with adj objective and yes its been bedded an trigger reworked .. and its on a mountain rifle stock :) have a harris bipod attached as well .. havent really had a chance ot see what she can do but its always been a joy to play with .. i will get a pic when i can .

BIll

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Took some new pics of mine.

Remington SPS Varminter in .223 with factory scope and newly painted stock.

randomstuff020gk0.jpg

randomstuff022tb0.jpg

Reminton SPS Tactical in .308 in HS Precision LTR stock with Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x

1001184il4.jpg

1001181vk8.jpg

1001183sq0.jpg

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    How does that SPS Varminter shoot? Seems like it would be an afforadable starting point for a precision rifle.

I'd say it can shoot:party29: 100 yards. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Never could replicate this group, but I have the photographic evidence and my buddy to back me up that it happened lol.

700group005uk4.jpg

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    hey Mil-Surp, how easy is it to install that mag extension? plug n play? or is there some spring bending, form fitting and cussing involved?

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Do they come standard with the detachable magazine, or is that an option? Are you an IWLA-R member?

hey Mil-Surp, how easy is it to install that mag extension? plug n play? or is there some spring bending, form fitting and cussing involved?

I had one of These on each of my 700s, but took it off the .308 because the recoil was so sharp that it kept opening up dumping my rounds all over the place. I left it on the .223 because I LIKE having 10 rounds of .223 at my disposal in a precision bolt action. Installation was simple, just unbolt the 2 action screws, use the correct punch size and knock out the pin, install new floorplate, put pin back and go. The existing spring is plenty strong enough to feed rounds reliably. Hope this helps. I don't actually belong to any ranges, just NRA range occasionally and Hap Baker occasionally.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Love the pics guys awesome guns .. longtime ago an still have .. I do nto have a pic of one of my babies but here is a brief ..

Remington 700 rebarrled with 26inch med hvy douglas brl in 30'06 ackly improv leupold 3.5x10 with adj objective and yes its been bedded an trigger reworked .. and its on a mountain rifle stock :) have a harris bipod attached as well .. havent really had a chance ot see what she can do but its always been a joy to play with .. i will get a pic when i can .

BIll

:needpics:

Come on brother, get that puppy up here!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250
    DSC_0202.jpg

group1.jpg

200 yrds. with factory ammo in a pretty good crosswind Sunday at Hap Baker.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Nice rifle Russ! What is the rifling twist? I'm about ready to install a 1:9 on my .22-250, so I can hurl some of the heavier bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom