• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I doubt I'd trust the precision of the Harbor Freight mill for a receiver. disclaimer: I am not a machinist, but would love to learn the trade, therefore my opinion is based on previous experience with harbor freight tools and quality of forementioned tools. ;)

Just an FYI - there are gunmakers in foreign countries that cobble together guns with little more than hand tools. So pretty much anything can be done it is just a matter of how much time and effort you want to put into it.;)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I realize the post about not trusting a harbor freight mill is very old, but I've just got to chime in that I can hold better than 0.001" on my harbor freight mill.

Plus, it's never a bad thing to bump this great thread to the top.

-Jim

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hey Ed did you ever get it anodized? just curious how it ended up I feel like I got to the last 15-20 of a really good movie and the DVD player stopped working and you don't know how the movie ends :)
    LOL, very sorry! Short answer: No.

I set up all of the anodizing equipment, got dyes (OD, black, tan), sealer, etc. but was overtaken by weather too hot to allow the temperature controls I needed. I since sold the old house/shop, packed the anodizing stuff back up and put it into storage. Only recently have I been able to dig it out and I plan to finish a few of these machinings as soon as I can set up a shed for it.
    I realize the post about not trusting a harbor freight mill is very old, but I've just got to chime in that I can hold better than 0.001" on my harbor freight mill...
    It's surprising how easily one can stay tight to spec when conditions are good. Also surprising is just how bad an error can develop when the tool loads up and the table vibrates from one side of it's gear lash to the other...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    lets give this a hardcore bumping for respect due to ed. Plus, we don't have a picture of the finished lower all built in to a gun in here yet.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    About to give this a shot. Im not sure if this has been posted but google

"Machining the AR15 Lower Reciever Forging by Ray Brandes"

Excellent job Ed, and why not give this great thread a bump! Ill let you know how my project goes.......

tmassive

Dec 6, 2015
    Do you think you could mill an 80% lower with a portable mag drill?
    It is capable of 2 inches of travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom