• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    I was fortunate to attend howard's AR class at Issac walton this summer. One of his recommendations was using a one piece cleaning rod. I have a 27 piece wal mart one now, it sucks.
    I was looking at the howard county show last week and came up empty. Where is a good place to find one?
    Thanks

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got got one Tipton fiberglass rod at Bass Pro and recently a longer one from Amazon. They are really good quality.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was fortunate to attend howard's AR class at Issac walton this summer. One of his recommendations was using a one piece cleaning rod. I have a 27 piece wal mart one now, it sucks.
    I was looking at the howard county show last week and came up empty. Where is a good place to find one?
    Thanks

That class was great.

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    I got got one Tipton fiberglass rod at Bass Pro and recently a longer one from Amazon. They are really good quality.

I also run the Tipton fiberglass rods in rifle and pistol lengths and various sizes, and am very happy with them. At first I was concerned by some accounts I had read of the rod shattering, but I do not think that should be a problem if you are using the correct size rod and attachment and not forcing it through the bore.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A Boretech fan here as well.

Their "Proof Positive" lines of rods, jags and nylon brushes are somewhat pricey, but they won't react with their excellent "Copper Remover" solvent, or with the also excellent Sharp Shoot R brand "Wipe Out Patch Out" solvent products.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A Boretech fan here as well.

Their "Proof Positive" lines of rods, jags and nylon brushes are somewhat pricey, but they won't react with their excellent "Copper Remover" solvent, or with the also excellent Sharp Shoot R brand "Wipe Out Patch Out" solvent products.

I like their solvents as well. Push a wet patch through, wait several minutes and push a couple of dry patches through and you're done.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    With the price of one piece rods so high(I would love a few Boretechs), I have elected to use the Otis cable system on my rifles. I bought the AR15 kit(about the price of one Boretech rod) and just use the appropriate brush or patch holder with any other rifle. I keep a couple of 3 piece aluminum rods around in case I need to clear an obstruction.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Are you supposed to spin this with, or against, the rifling twist?

It allows the brush or patch to follow the grooves rather than skip across the tops of the lands.

I have Tiptons with the red aluminum handles for rifles and pistols. They come in different diameters a lengths for different applications.
    For shotgun and blackpowder rifles I have an ancient Hoppes 3 peices. It's pretty thick.

The Tackle Box in LP City used to carry Tipton one piece rods. I haven't been in there for some time though.

If you use rods, get bore guides for the particular action. I have some that replace the bolt and for M1, M14, and lever actions I have model specific muzzle guides.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It allows the brush or patch to follow the grooves rather than skip across the tops of the lands...
    :D Thank you sir for your patient explanation, but I am somewhat familiar with the process. I was just asking K-31 how he spun his.

To the OP, I have a bunch of Dewey rods, but I had accumulated mine when Dewey was the main maker of one piece rods. Tipton and Bore-Tech are both fine too. The biggest thing is getting away from the bore damage caused by the typical jointed aluminum rod set. Grit embeds in the aluminum, making a lapping tool out of it, and misaligned joints cause the sides of the rod to contact the bore.

The one issue I have with Dewey is that eventually the handle bearings give out, but I do have to say mine have a lot of miles on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom