• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    There seems to be a bit of a robbery attitude going on in 21228. Three stores were robbed at gunpoint last week, including the Royal Farms and Papa John's on Edmondson Ave. I was driving the kids somewhere in the early evening and as we went by Opie's, three police cars were there with officers running toward the building. I have not found out what was going on. A couple years ago, we were coming out of Chef Paulino's and there was an ambulance and cop cars all over the building next door. It turned out, some punk had knocked over that store and shot both the owner and a customer. The customer died. The perp never was caught. Just shows, everything is not great in 21228!

Last edited:

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    It's been a growing issue, we just moved from there last year, I could see the writing on the wall and wanted to get the hell out. I lived on N. Beaumont right off of Edmonson, quite frequent were helicopters flying over searching for someone. At the end of our street was section 8 housing, not saying it all came from there but the majority did. The city is quickly creeping up Edmonson, Fredrick rd and rt 40

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I lived in Catonsville 30 years ago. Moved to Howard County when we needed a bigger house. Catonsville has been going down hill for a while and will eventually fall just like Edmondson Village and Woodlawn.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My workwife lives there and has been having nothing but problems with the local yutes there. Her neighbor has a basketball hoop and it's been drawing feral kids like flies to crap. She's fed up with trying to raise her two girls around random gangs of kids dropping all kinds of obscenities and referring to the thug girl that tags along as "bitch"...as in "bitch get the basketball for us...bitch give me my drank...etc". She's also tired of them leaving trash everywhere and frequently going in to their backyard, leaving the fence open. Another neighbor is a lincoln tech instructor and apparently just got his tires slashed by these numbnuts.

She ultimately tried talking to neighborhood folks, got nowhere, and so has engaged pe teacher mode and made rules they must follow or the rim comes down. She posted the rules and went out to confront them and let them know she took pictures of them all so police know who to come from if any of her stuff gets messed with. Sounds like she's tired of this crap and is just going to be yanking her neighbors hoop down because the neighbor doesn't take any responsibility for it.

Curious thing, a good amount of teacher-folks I know live in the general area and in the past 2 weeks, I've had about 6 people come up to ask me for advice in getting their first gun for home defense...knowing I'm the "gun-guy". 6 people walked away with some advice, and very pissed off to learn about all the sb281 hoops they have to go through to get something for their defense.

Looks like md is trying hard to copy the progressive success story that is detroit.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I worked out of Wilkens from 2009-2012 and it always had a robbery problem. I was there when Yours Convenience had that robbery/homicide. According to good friends I have still down there, it is only getting worse. I avoided it like the plague when I left. At least you arent in Lansdowne......

Avoid spots like Edmonson ave (east side of it) 40 and Winters, and the like at the wrong hour.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    My kid played lacrosse a few times at the rec center off Winters Lane. It is a very sketchy area and then last year a policeman got killed in house search for a shooting suspect. That area north of Edmondson in the Winters Lane section is a major source of the crime problem. At least in our neighborhood, we have alert residents and a homeowners assn that tries to keep on top of things. There were some renters on the street dealing drugs. One guy was illegally selling cars as well, the other had his house raided several times and was arrested. But in general, it is too close to the city.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Well. I grew up in Catonsville & worked there for 30 years. Like everywhere else it's had its crime problems, but of course being just outside the city it's increased. Thankfully I moved out in 1990 & pop moved away from there & in with us in 2010. The "Lane" has always had it's share of drug & alcohol crime. I retired in 2008 & my last call that night was a stabbing/ attempted murder at Morsbergers Bar.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Curious thing, a good amount of teacher-folks I know live in the general area and in the past 2 weeks, I've had about 6 people come up to ask me for advice in getting their first gun for home defense...knowing I'm the "gun-guy". 6 people walked away with some advice, and very pissed off to learn about all the sb281 hoops they have to go through to get something for their defense.

I know two HoCo teachers that live there. One has asked me for gun advice.
    In general terms, Catonsville seems to offer some decent relatively affordable housing with an easy commute to Baltimore or HoCo.
    I know a bank president who just a bought a nice house there.

There's been some general burglary problems recently in the neighborhoods along Edmondson between 695 and 40. It seems to go in spurts until the nicer neighborhoods realize they are soft targets.

I don't consider Catonsville that affordable unless you live in the crappy parts. Well it is more affordable than Howard County. It is all relative I guess.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I literally just moved out of Catonsville 3 weeks ago. And I have not heard anything about papa johns getting robbed. Guess living in the burbs of Columbia is where I am going to be staying for now.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    What's with those really nice houses on the city line on 40? Its like a random neighborhood of old style nice houses. But it's so close to where the blue lights start. My buddy used to live in the apartments down from McDonald's and the tattoo shop. No one called the cops on our rowdy asses and seemed quiet. Well except for us.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What's with those really nice houses on the city line on 40? Its like a random neighborhood of old style nice houses. But it's so close to where the blue lights start. My buddy used to live in the apartments down from McDonald's and the tattoo shop. No one called the cops on our rowdy asses and seemed quiet. Well except for us.
    Back in the day Catonsville was where the rich folks from the city would retire to for the summer to get away from the heat. Hence the nice houses. We're talking 1890-1930 or so. There are some Really beautiful houses through there, sadly most haven't been kept up.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    It seems to me that Catonsville outside of the beltway and away from Route 40 is fine and a nice area to live. There are natural "no man lands" that disconnects the City from the County. For example, Hospitals and grave yards. Where there aren't the city slowly creeps out. The City has been moving out along Rt40 and Liberty Road...etc for a long time now. So yeah its not great in those areas. However in central Catonsville and over to Arbutus is nice.

That said, I live over by the High School. A while ago we had a guy who stole a car, shot by the police in the act, turn into the HS parking lot and pass out from wound.... My thoughts were as long as the police shoot them before get out my way, I am ok with that...;) Yes sure I would rather them shoot them dead to avoid the mess on the parking lot and all the fuss but I don't think I can complain that much.

I still think the Catonsville, Arbutus, Linthicum, Elkridge, Ellicott City..etc. area is a nice area to live. Beats the hell out of Columbia and communist HOAs and no chain link fences and no signs and cookie cutter communities and drum circles... ok I could go on for a while on that one. However when I look the rest of places the City Refugees moved to, I still like it the best.

Seems to me every area has its spots to avoid. Catonsville does back up to some bad areas and there is that transition area that is not as nice as the rest of Catonsville. You can almost tell by the house pricing. Better price, worse area. When I think of Catonsville, I think of Frederick Road and Rolling Road, having grown up in Arbutus. Most everywhere along those roads is still pretty nice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I work in Catonsville and most of my partners live here. As mentioned, off Frederick Rd. is a really nice place to live. Cool old homes. A lot of nice people around. There are some areas where it is not so nice....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom