• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Broward Coward appears to be gone, except the lawyer for Sheriff Scott Israel says he has not been notified.

Finally, some consequences in an era where there never seem to be any for government agents or bureaucrats.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/fox-news-gov-desantis-suspends-broward-sheriff-scott-israel/

According to Fox News, Gov. Ron DeSantis has suspended Scott Israel from his position as sheriff of Broward County.

News of Israel’s suspension comes after DeSantis was sworn in, Tuesday.

Israel’s policy on active shooters had been criticized by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School safety commission in relation to the Feb. 14 school shooting.

DeSantis in his inaugural address Tuesday said he would hold local officials accountable for any misdeeds.

In light of the reported suspension, Israel’s attorney, Stuart Kaplan, released a statement that read, “We have received no official word from the Governor or his office on any position with respect to the removal or suspension of the Sheriff. The Sheriff has been steadfast to ensure his command staff and all the men and women in the BSO know that his commitment and dedication is unwavering. He is focused on protecting and serving the citizens of Broward County.”

Andrew Pollack, whose daughter died in the shooting, was a member of DeSantis’ transition team and said Israel should be removed for failing to protect the students.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Uh oh, may have spoken too soon.

Apparently, Gov. DeSantis' office is denying the move to oust the Broward Coward has commenced yet...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-governor-suspends-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel-sources-say

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' office on Tuesday denied that the governor officially suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, following reports of the sheriff's imminent removal.

A spokesperson for DeSantis told Fox News that no one from the governor's team has had any contact with Israel or his attorneys and have not communicated to him that he'll soon be suspended.

Separately, in a statement to Fox News, Israel's attorney Stuart Kaplan said that they "have received no official word from the Governor or his office on any position with respect to the removal or suspension of the Sheriff."

"The Sheriff has been steadfast to ensure his command staff and all the men and women in the BSO know that his commitment and dedication is unwavering," the statement continued. "He is focused on protecting and serving the citizens of Broward County."

Sources told Fox News on Tuesday evening that the governor suspended the sheriff. Israel faced criticism over his department's response to the deadly Parkland shooting last year.

I wonder if the leak of Sheriff Israel being ousted was initiated by the rank-and-file leadership to sandbag Gov. DeSantis into taking action.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Adding Sheriff's firing update to this thread:

The Broward Coward officially, and finally, removed.

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

Gov. Ron DeSantis removed Broward Sheriff Scott Israel from office Friday, replacing him after 10 months of turmoil spawned by the slaughter of 17 staff and students in Parkland.

The new governor replaced Israel with former Coral Springs Police Sgt. Gregory Tony, 40, who has a background in active-shooter training and becomes the first black sheriff in Broward County’s history.

DeSantis announced the suspension at the Broward Sheriff’s Office headquarters while the displaced former sheriff prepared his response from a church in northwest Fort Lauderdale.

“I have no interest in dancing on Scott Israel’s political grave,” DeSantis said of the Democratic former sheriff, “but suffice it to say the massacre might never have happened had Broward had better leadership in the sheriff’s department.”

In his executive order, the governor cited Israel for incompetence and neglect of duty. DeSantis said Israel “egregiously failed in his duties” by not properly training deputies and not maintaining “a culture of vigilance and thoroughness,” among other weaknesses.

The suspension caps a nearly year-long series of revelations that exposed the failure of Broward sheriff’s deputies to run in to save children at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as a former student marched through the halls with an assault rifle.

Some deputies said they couldn’t remember when they’d last been trained to handle an active shooter, even though the agency had a confused, chaotic response to a mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in 2017.

Much of the criticism has focused on Israel’s leadership. Though he enjoyed strong popularity in Broward before the shooting, Israel’s star fell in the aftermath, particularly after a disastrous appearance on CNN in which he praised his own leadership and glossed over his agency’s mistakes.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/...tis-scott-israel-decision-20190110-story.html

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    bumping this thread as we prepare for the Drive By Media to set up camp in Parkland all day tomorrow, to re-live the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School one year ago tomorrow.

The building where the shootings occurred still remains fenced off and empty after a year. Why it was not demolished last summer is beyond me, unless there were decisions to leave it standing as a political monument.

It is the primary shadow that hangs over 2A as we confront what Infringer Democrats are trying to accomplish at the Statehouse on the 25th and 27th, and elsewhere.

Attachments

• 9D6DF182-090F-4FD4-847B-AB6D69D22350.jpg
      9D6DF182-090F-4FD4-847B-AB6D69D22350.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 253

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I have had the cable channels on while working on projects and—unless I missed it—did not see any extended live-shot coverage from the high school in Parkland where the students there were engaged in day-long activities focused on gun control.

It appears that two news bombshells today obscured whatever visibility the gun control activists had hoped for. First it was the disgraced Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe claiming that he and his crew tried to run a 25th Amendment takedown on Trump, and then later, Trump declared an emergency to move forward with wall building on the southern border.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The only significant news coverage I could find was local DC TV News.

Channel 5 sent a crew out to Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School where students displayed more than 600 names of teens that they say were lost to “gun violence’.

Other than that, the Infringers were likely disappointed with coverage on this one-year anniversary.

It also means we are a little less likely to run into a Parkland hangover at the Statehouse on the 25th.

Attachments

• 974A08AF-7C23-42A2-AD26-3ED46E8FD24A.jpg
      974A08AF-7C23-42A2-AD26-3ED46E8FD24A.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 240
    • 324CE356-7C68-492F-811A-729D8570BC00.jpg
      324CE356-7C68-492F-811A-729D8570BC00.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 230

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Channel 5 sent a crew out to Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School where students displayed more than 600 names of teens that they say were lost to “gun violence’.
    I'd be curious to research those names and determine how many were involved/ innocent victims and how many were Baltimore or Chicago "entrepreneurs" who fell victim to "corporate takeover"...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not exactly upset Sheriff Israel has been removed, but I'm lost on how the governor can do that to an elected official who, as far as I know, didn't break any laws.

Wouldn't there have to be a recall?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I'm not exactly upset Sheriff Israel has been removed, but I'm lost on how the governor can do that to an elected official who, as far as I know, didn't break any laws.

Wouldn't there have to be a recall?

This explanation appeared in many accounts of Israel's removal. This one happens to come from NPR, of all places:

Under Florida law, the governor can suspend elected officials for criminal activity, misfeasance, incompetence or neglect of duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom