• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'd like to thank DaemonAssassin for his generosity. He set aside time and resources to teach me how to lap an upper. He really knows his stuff.

I brought 2 BCM blems ($59 each...they come with forward assist and ejection port covers). I also brought 2 garbage blem uppers that I purchased a while back. They were super cheap at $29. AO Precision if I recall correctly. Not to be confused with Aero Precision.

Interesting lesson about quality. You could tell very quickly how much better the BCM product is compared to the cheaper option. It took no time at all to remove the anodizing from the AO upper. The BCM took a good bit of work to properly remove the anodizing.

We had to be really careful inserting the lapping tool in the BCM upper as it was a tight fit. The AO upper wasn't as finicky.

Here are pics of each brand after lapping. You'll notice the BCM upper still has a little anodizing on it.

You're welcome! Happy to see that you like the work that was done and you picked up a few new pieces of information to use. If you need to use my bench or tools in the future, don't hesitate to reach out.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Ran into something interesting with these cheap uppers that I lapped. Was looking at the milled out portion that made it a "blem" and it looks like one of them wasn't milled down far enough and found "A 3S679" in that spot. Tried taking a picture but couldn't get it legible. I just pulled a stock photo to show where the mill mark is.

The 3S679 is FN's cage code. Don't know what the "A" stands for but it does have the square intact to the right of it which I believe is the BA forge mark.

Any thoughts by the local experts?

Attachments

• 20190408_202330.jpg
      20190408_202330.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 314

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    To the OP if using a stainless steel barrel, please make sure to use a good bit of grease between the lapped bare aluminum and the collar on the barrel, though not likely galvanic corrosion can happen between raw aluminum and stainless steel.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    To the OP if using a stainless steel barrel, please make sure to use a good bit of grease between the lapped bare aluminum and the collar on the barrel, though not likely galvanic corrosion can happen between raw aluminum and stainless steel.
    Will grease do the trick vs. the anti-corrosion special compounds. I've used quite a bit of these working in the marine industry Tef-Gel, Raymarine has their own variety etc.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Will grease do the trick vs. the anti-corrosion special compounds. I've used quite a bit of these working in the marine industry Tef-Gel, Raymarine has their own variety etc.

Aero-shell grease should do the trick you just want a nice barrier between the dissimilar metals.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd bump this thread. I got interested in this from a Classifieds post for an upper that has been "hand lapped," so I did some reading.

You've got to love the subject of the AR15. Everyone has their own personal methods of doing things (or are doing it that way because company "X" supposedly does it that way) and everyone is absolutely married to their method.

It's hard to tell what's what. Take just the simple subject of installing the barrel into the receiver. I've read:

Barrel extension needs to be dry - you want to it lock down and not move
    Thin coating of oil
    Thin coating of whatever lubricant is nearby
    Thin coating of Aeroshell 33
    609 Loctite
    620 Loctite

I've also read that there needs to be some kind of barrier due to possible galvanic reaction? That would completely negate the idea that the barrel extension needs to go in dry, wouldn't it?

Initially I installed it dry, but when I took it apart to put on the personalized dust cover (which wouldn't come off unless I took the barrel nut off) I coated it with Aeroshell when I put it back together.

And now I'm reading that I could (theoretically) improve the accuracy by lapping the face of the upper receiver and bedding the barrel with 609 Loctite. I don't want to mess with it though - it's already getting 1 MOA, give or take.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I thought I'd bump this thread. I got interested in this from a Classifieds post for an upper that has been "hand lapped," so I did some reading.

You've got to love the subject of the AR15. Everyone has their own personal methods of doing things (or are doing it that way because company "X" supposedly does it that way) and everyone is absolutely married to their method.

It's hard to tell what's what. Take just the simple subject of installing the barrel into the receiver. I've read:

Thin coating of oil
    609 Loctite
    620 Loctite

I've also read that there needs to be some kind of barrier due to possible galvanic reaction? That would completely negate the idea that the barrel extension needs to go in dry, wouldn't it?

Initially I installed it dry, but when I took it apart to put on the personalized dust cover (which wouldn't come off unless I took the barrel nut off) I coated it with Aeroshell when I put it back together.

And now I'm reading that I could (theoretically) improve the accuracy by lapping the face of the upper receiver and bedding the barrel with 609 Loctite. I don't want to mess with it though - it's already getting 1 MOA, give or take.

My .02
    The upper should be lapped just until it’s trued.
    The barrel extension should be bedded with Loctite 620.
    The threads should be coated with Aeroshell 33
    and torqued to proper spec.

Definitely have to use Aeroshell (or equivalent) to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Thin coating of oil
    609 Loctite
    620 Loctite

Much of it comes down to the quality of the parts to begin with, bedding and lapping might help a loose fitting barrel in a upper with loose specs, but probably not much difference in one that is already concentric. I usually lap and bed my precision stuff, but just check most, run the lap lightly and if it looks like it is hitting the face flat, I'll leave the anodizing alone. In either case probably the most important is to use something good like Aeroshell 33 to lube the barrel nut threads and face, then torque and back off, then torque again. Without the grease on the nut, it can seize up, apply torque to the locator pin and damage the upper or break the pin.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    My .02

That's it in a nut shell. Nough said.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My .02

^^^This is the way. :thumbsup:
    Much of it comes down to the quality of the parts to begin with, bedding and lapping might help a loose fitting barrel in a upper with loose specs, but probably not much difference in one that is already concentric. I usually lap and bed my precision stuff, but just check most, run the lap lightly and if it looks like it is hitting the face flat, I'll leave the anodizing alone. In either case probably the most important is to use something good like Aeroshell 33 to lube the barrel nut threads and face, then torque and back off, then torque again. Without the grease on the nut, it can seize up, apply torque to the locator pin and damage the upper or break the pin.

Out of the dozen or so uppers I have lapped, I have never run into one that was factory true.

That's it in a nut shell. Nough said.

Can I get an amen?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ok, this is all good stuff - at least there seems to be some consensus on this forum. :lol2:

Regarding the lapping tool, is the Wheeler tool decent enough, or are there others that are better? I'm not opposed to spending some money on tools if I feel it's warranted, although I don't know how many more ARs I'm going to build.

How necessary is it to bed the barrel? Very necessary? Necessary only for improved accuracy? Just curious.

The barrel on this first build was pretty snug in the upper, which was a PSA blem upper that I got on the cheap years ago and finally decided to put to use. All I know is that the rifle is a pretty solid shooter - my son and I are doing 20 shot groups at 50 yards that aside from the odd flyer which is probably our fault, are slightly bigger than a quarter. Is that super accurate? Nope, but that could also be attributed to the ammo - 55 gr reloads out of a 1:7 twist barrel. (1:9 would be better for 55 gr)

I'll employ some of this on the next build - I've got all the parts on hand or in the mail, so I'll probaby pick up a lapping tool. The upper on the way is an Aero upper, so hopefully it's pretty solid and won't need a lot of work, and hopefully the barrel fits pretty snugly.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Since I got my lapping tool, I lap all my uppers. I don’t bed them tho. They all are 1 moa or less

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom