• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Ive always lusted after an M1A but since leaving the state is not a possibility any time soon and finding a shady gun dealer would put me in the hotel fed for a bit, is a 6.5 worth it? Anyone bought one? Im not the biggest fan of the stainless and the plain synthetic stock but if i want to scratch the itch its my only option. Is it a decent one?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can get two or three nice Garands for the price of a 6.5 M1A, and the Garand is a better rifle in a more readily available, less expensive chambering.

You can also shoot the Garand in Vintage Matches, which are low-key, addictive fun.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Unless you absolutely, positively want an M1A, there are better options in 6.5 Creedmoor. The AR10 type platform or any number of bolt guns cost much less and is where I would go. Of course, the 6.5 seems to be the only option for those in occupied territory who didn't beat the Oct.1, 2013 crap!

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with the idea. 6.5 is much better round than a 308. Yes i shot a M1A in high power back in the day and still might have one.
    I have shot a 6.5 AR10 it was real nice !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You can get two or three nice Garands for the price of a 6.5 M1A, and the Garand is a better rifle in a more readily available, less expensive chambering.

You can also shoot the Garand in Vintage Matches, which are low-key, addictive fun.

This ^^ and you can also get an AR10 pattern rifle in 6.5 CM for less as well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    M1As are over-rated. They are not particularly accurate without extensive bedding jobs or chassis systems, the ergos are so-so, they do not suppress well or easily, and they are heavy SOBs. They have good iron sights, I grant you, but there is a reason the US military asked for the M110 and the Mk20 Mod 0, and not more M39s... the M1A/M14 is obsolete, and there's only so much lipstick you can put on that pig.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    M1As are over-rated. They are not particularly accurate without extensive bedding jobs or chassis systems, the ergos are so-so, they do not suppress well or easily, and they are heavy SOBs. They have good iron sights, I grant you, but there is a reason the US military asked for the M110 and the Mk20 Mod 0, and not more M39s... the M1A/M14 is obsolete, and there's only so much lipstick you can put on that pig.

Must be why the military recalled all those M14's to use, they were just obsolete and useless. No, the decision the military made was made based on familiarity of the operating controls etc., as already exist on the M16/M4 platform and the ability of the soldier to be easily trained to use the M110 platform. Producing the M110 is easier too, especially since the gov't. basically destroyed M14 production capability. Once again, it is thanks to the civilian market, as well as improvements made to enhance the reliability and accuracy by the marksmanship units, that the M110 is proving it's self, after having many "teething issues".
    Rest assured, no enemy wants to be on the receiving end of that old obsolete pig, the M14.:D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They recalled those M14s because they were there in inventory already, not because they were the best choice. The money spent on making them workable in a DMR role was considerable.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I was surprised to hear that the M1A doesnt do that well with hard use. On AR15.com the owner of Battlefield Las Vegas went over what guns have been reliable and which ones haven’t been. It’s only one sample, but I have to think that it’s a excellent sample.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bravo-Company-bolt-Carrier-Group-question/4-721826/

Doesn’t the 6.5 eat barrels? It’s a great round, but I’d rather have the .308. Much more common as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It all comes down to : Do you specifically want an M1A on purpose ?

If yes , then have at that 6.5 , and enjoy .

If not necessarily , then restart a discussion about the best available platform for .308, and/ or best for 6.5 .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

You got that right..very nice shooters...

To me an M1A not in .308 is not an M1A. That's just a personal opinion in though

Have the old Devine M1A's, some nice rifles and yeah they had
    problems with a few..but... and the "Reese Brothers" M1A's
    I'm with ya. gotta be .308..just an thought..

Build a AR-10 for yourself. This way you can have an upper in 6.5 CM and another upper in 308.

serves 2 purposes...

Okay how much "crap" can you hang on the AR / M4 platform? at least your
    throwing "lipstick" on the M1A / M14, the AR / M4 your doing "bondo" work
    like "liposuction" or "botox" at least it don't look like a "Kardashian" Why is a
    M1A on a lot of peoples "wish list"..Why is the "Ma Deuce" still going strong...?
    Just my opinon that's all
    I like debates..

If the OP wants one...buy it...have at it
    not trying to be smart..it's your money buy
    what you want.. it's nice to ask questions, opinons but it aways
    ends in a debate.. even in my case (a debate) I'll do one in bolt,,,

the M40A (what ever prefix) or M21 is fine...

let the debates begin.....

-Rock

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    enc0rahh9bx01.jpg

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I wish they would make one .243 Winchester. All that it would take is a barrel change and should be MD legal .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom