• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    Odds are this will be appealed no matter what, so this is a good thing.

Yup....

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2014/02/shew-v-malloy-will-be-appealed.html

HARTFORD - Just one day after receiving an adverse ruling from the lower federal court on their Second Amendment challenge to Connecticut’s new firearms law, the plaintiff-firearms owners and organizations filed a formal notice of their intention to appeal the ruling. In addition to following the U.S. Supreme Court precedents in the renowned cases of Heller and MacDonald, the lower federal court deciding the case was bound to follow recent precedents of the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York. To date, the Second Circuit has upheld laws that place greater restrictions on the right to bear arms than have courts in federal circuits in other parts of the country. It is these diverging views of the Second Amendment on issues that were not resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court in Heller and MacDonald that make it likely that the Supreme Court will decide to hear one or more Second Amendment cases in the next few years.

Although the legal conclusions did not go their way at this initial stage of the litigation, the lower court did make factual findings that gun owners view as favorable. For example, the court found that certain of the newly banned firearms, such as the popular AR-15, are in “ common use ” for lawful purposes throughout the nation. The AR-15 type modern sporting rifle, which is newly classified as an “ assault weapon ” under the legislation, is the leading type of firearm used in national shooting matches and in other competitions sponsored by the congressionally established Civilian Marksmanship Program. The court also found that banning such commonly used firearms places a “substantial burden” on fundamental Second Amendment rights.

Note the Court's acknowledgement of "Common Use" platforms being protected. From the ruling:
    What the Heller court did make clear, however, is that weapons that are “in common use at the time” are protected under the Second Amendment. Heller, 554 U.S. at 627.37

The Judge accepted that but states he is bound by CA2 precedent. :sad20:

So....we now appeal to that same CA2. Expect a loss there as well and another run for the Supreme Court to take up the issue.

CT District Ruling:
    http://ia601705.us.archive.org/12/items/gov.uscourts.ctd.101021/gov.uscourts.ctd.101021.125.0.pdf

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I meant to find it, but IIRC somewhere in Heller or McDonald is a nice line about how the state can't ban one common type just because another is available.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I meant to find it, but IIRC somewhere in Heller or McDonald is a nice line about how the state can't ban one common type just because another is available.

Indeed, the legislation does not prohibit possession of the weapon cited as the “quintessential self-defense weapon” in Heller, i.e., the handgun. In other words, “the prohibition of [assault weapons] and large-capacity magazines does not effectively disarm individuals or substantially affect their ability to defend themselves.” Heller II, 670 F.3d at 1262. The challenged legislation provides alternate access to similar firearms and does not categorically ban a universally recognized45 class of firearms.46

Yea, and the judge basically just did that.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The system is breaking down.

Due, I believe, to a weak Supreme Court.

We have legislatures and Congress passing clearly illegal / unconstitutional acts (gun control, Obamacare, et.) but not being held in check by the courts. We have a President illegally acting beyond authority, not being held in check in the courts.

Amen to that.

Circuit splits are a way forward…the Supremes are compelled to resolve them.

TSK0113

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2014
    I hope this goes to the Supreme Court soon. I really don't think they will side with the states. This is a constitutional issue (unlike abortion and gay marriage). I really don't think our highest court will over-rule or over-interpret the 2nd amendment. I think they will simply say, if this country wants the 2nd amendment changed, then it has to go through the house and senate. I believe all these states laws will get overturned and we will just have to focus on convincing our US officials to leave the constitution alone. That may be another battle, but at least we will again be able to buy what we want without un-necessary registration and regulation for a period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom