• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 16tons

Another day older
    Sep 10, 2013
    Owings Mills
    I'm new here and have a question about my SKS. I was told I have to install other things for my magazine to be legal and have to do it before October. If I buy the stuff now and don't install it is it OK to install later or do I have to install everything before October? If I install it am I allowed to take it off and on or does it have to stay on forever? I like my SKS but don't want to be arrested for changing a gun I already own.
    I already have a 30 round magazine but it isn't on the SKS yet.

The OP joined MDS per my request. I asked him to do an intro and then post this because I don't know the relationship between 922r and SB281. I know that he needs to be 922r compliant to legally add the detachable mag (Fed) and the mag must be installed by 9/30 to be grandfathered under SB281.
    What I can't answer for him is... if he makes the rifle 922r and SB281 compliant is it compliant forever, or does he have to keep it in modified configuration after 10/1?
    EX- He installs an American made stock, handguard and piston. Combined with the American mag, it would be legal by BATFE as well as MD. If he swaps it back to original configuration (after 10/1) and swaps it back again (to 922r), has he broken MD law since it is after 10/1???

Probably better received in the Maryland 2A forum.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The OP joined MDS per my request. I asked him to do an intro and then post this because I don't know the relationship between 922r and SB281. I know that he needs to be 922r compliant to legally add the detachable mag (Fed) and the mag must be installed by 9/30 to be grandfathered under SB281.
    What I can't answer for him is... if he makes the rifle 922r and SB281 compliant is it compliant forever, or does he have to keep it in modified configuration after 10/1?
    EX- He installs an American made stock, handguard and piston. Combined with the American mag, it would be legal by BATFE as well as MD. If he swaps it back to original configuration (after 10/1) and swaps it back again (to 922r), has he broken MD law since it is after 10/1???

Probably better received in the Maryland 2A forum.

If he wants to protect himself, fill out the form 77R on the weapon to register it as an "assault weapon". Once registered, it's always an assault weapon in eyes of MSP from what I understand. He cannot get in trouble for converting it out of an "assault weapon" configuration and if 922r compliant and in an "assault weapon" configuration he is covered by the 77R. I don't see how he could be prosecuted in that case. Re-assembly of an assault weapon is not prohibited by state law.

Limitations: He would not be able to sell it in any configuration within the state, but could sell it outside of the state in any configuration.

Hope that helps. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Mark

16tons

Another day older
    Sep 10, 2013
    Owings Mills
    Thanks Mark for the answer. I don't want another gun on Marylands radar.
    I'm going to keep my SKS and 30 round mag. Is it OK to keep the magazine as long as it is'nt installed on the SKS? I want to keep it but understand I can't take it to the range.

16tons

Another day older
    Sep 10, 2013
    Owings Mills
    I read another topic on this and decided to register my SKS as an assault weapon. This will cover me when I can show the paperwork at a range. I do not want to get arrested for something stupid when I can avoid it by paying a $10 fee.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Basically any firearm that was legally owned before Oct 1, should be legal to own after Oct 1.

The problem comes with selling it after Oct 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom