• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Looking at cleaning up the MDShooters Firearms Map.

• Remove Walmart

Votes: 2 1.9%
    • Remove Dicks

Votes: 19 17.6%
    • Remove Walmart & Dicks

Votes: 76 70.4%
    • Keep Walmart & Dicks

Votes: 4 3.7%
    • Add or Remove Other (explain below)

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Just leave it alone

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Looking at cleaning up the MDShooters Firearms Map. I would like your opinion about removing Walmart and/or Dicks.
    Looking to add a section for training facilities (HQL, USD, non-range, ??)

I will keep this up until sometime after the New Year (unless the poll is overwhelmingly one sided:D).

Last edited:

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I am not super concerned about Walmart (but I would still pull it) but I definitely would remove Dicks. Their stunts have been worse and it looks like they want out of the business anyway. And there are Walmarts everywhere so it kind of clogs up the list in my opinion anyway as they are not focused on even outdoor sports. They are not hard to find anyway if you want to look for one. But the list could also probably use a sweep for updates. I noticed one shop I have used before missing and another that seems to have closed still up there. But overall I am very happy to have the map up.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I am not super concerned about Walmart (but I would still pull it) but I definitely would remove Dicks. Their stunts have been worse and it looks like they want out of the business anyway. And there are Walmarts everywhere so it kind of clogs up the list in my opinion anyway as they are not focused on even outdoor sports. They are not hard to find anyway if you want to look for one. But the list could also probably use a sweep for updates. I noticed one shop I have used before missing and another that seems to have closed still up there. But overall I am very happy to have the map up.

If you could, please note those in the MDShooters Firearms Map thread, and I will add or remove as needed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I voted to remove both.

Dick's because they are dicks.

And Walmart, as they are everywhere, and easy to find.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    bumpit.gif

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I would keep Walmart on there, at least the ones that still sell "hunting" ammo and firearms. Mostly because it can be difficult to find out which Walmarts sell firearms and such if you dont know the stores...

I could care less about Dicks stores.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    In St. Mary's county, D's and Southern Maryland Firearms are long gone.

The diamond for SMF was in the wrong place and the address went to the kennel, however, in google maps when you zoom in on that area you can see a place called Dynamic Weaponry off Fairgrounds Rd. I had not heard of them before. https://www.dynamicweaponry.com/

Also, F4 Defense is supposedly on 21726 Great Mills, Rd.
    Lexington Park, Maryland but that appears to be the building for JWE Electric. Not sure where they are located for real: https://www.f4defense.com/

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    In St. Mary's county, D's and Southern Maryland Firearms are long gone.

The diamond for SMF was in the wrong place and the address went to the kennel, however, in google maps when you zoom in on that area you can see a place called Dynamic Weaponry off Fairgrounds Rd. I had not heard of them before. https://www.dynamicweaponry.com/

Also, F4 Defense is supposedly on 21726 Great Mills, Rd.
    Lexington Park, Maryland but that appears to be the building for JWE Electric. Not sure where they are located for real: https://www.f4defense.com/

Moved Quote and reply to MDShooters Firearms Map thread.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Glad to see mine isn't the only consumer world in which Malwart and Dicks no longer exist. I put some other correction suggestions in the other thread.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Put every place that sells firearms or ammo on it and let people shop with their own conscience. I hate Walmart for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with their recent capitulation. Dicks was a rip-off before they turned anti. If a newbie feels comfortable at Dicks since they buy their UA underwear there and the close proximity to firearms and ammo gets them to look into or purchase something that’s a win for us all. They’ll learn the rest on their own. Or not.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I suggest you have Walmart and Dicks on the map.

While there is plenty of reasons to not patronize them there may be some instances where it would be good to know where the stores are.
    For example sometimes a store will price something below cost to attract customers who will then spend more on other items in the store that have a greater profit for the store. The underpriced item is called a “loss leader” and Walmart has been known to operate using this model

I might be tempted to buy a shotgun from one of these stores if I knew that they paid more for the gun than I paid them. I would buy nothing else.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    One of the biggest reasons in favor of removing those 2 retailers, would be to de-clutter the map. I will still shop at WM (untill they ban all carry). The only thing I bought from the other, were socks (I can get them elsewhere).
    It should be well enough known that both still sell ammo, firearms, and hunting supplies without getting free "advertising".
    Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my tricorder

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with removing chain stores. Everyone who wants to go to Dicks or WalMart can find them.

It can be hard to track down small shops, to even know they exist.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    It looks like the chain stores could be put in their own group. This group then could be turned off at will.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Please add Brighton's Guns (formerly Chesapeake) at 200 Island Plaza Court, Stevensvile, MD

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom