• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Did you see the shotgun resting next to the toilet?

Looks like a Shotgun Plunger
    61Q%2Bqh5HLtL._SL1000_.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Any cell service out there? I know it's pretty sparse in Elkins, and cell data - well, LOL....

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I camp outside of Elkins every year (for about the last 15 years) Never had a problem around Elkins with cell phone service. The area around durbin is dead due to the dead zone but that's way south....

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yep, in fact I was just there last week - there's a few other areas around Davis and Canaan where you can get decent cell service too, although cell data seems like just a pipe dream still (at least with Verizon). I've been to Elkins a lot and points south and east, and there are some really nice areas around there, but I've never been through Montrose. The wife and I have talked about getting a cabin somewhere in the region for a few years, though probably in the Canaan or Seneca Rocks area.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Elkins is fine for cell service, ATT has upgraded to LTE and Verizon is actually upgraded all the way from Weston to Norton, Elkins should be the next towers to go 4G.

I get service all the way out thru Canaan and to Davis, I just get a few drops on the far side of some of the hills.

I lose service at Snowshoe and Durbin which are both much closer.

NRQZ_map_color.jpg

The dark green area is where the tighter regs on transmitters are.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    So... how is WV for retirement ? as far as tax Im sure anything is better than MD. but is it " as good " as say DE?

Here's my take. There are taxes but not as high as MD. Groceries are less a lot less. I qualify for homestead I'm over 65 so it will cut my real estate taxes in half. Local shopping is less than MD. Possibly due to the fact this is a poor state with a lot of unemployment, thus a severe drug problem. Crime is still less than MD. You can conceal carry and pretty much protect your own home. The people are fantastic and friendly not unlike the way people treated each other in the 70's. They are God faring people as can be seen by the number of churches. If your not raising a child since the school systems ar so so I would recommended this to any freedom loving person.

Also squeezed between New Jersey and Maryland Delaware is becoming a place that is attracting liberals. They probably think West Virginians are tooth less, uneducated rednecks who worship the confederate flag. Don't let them know differently.

I'll keep posting the real estate. I'd rather we have MDS people here than let's see. The last liberal I met in my church from New Jersey. He was complaining about his survey that said 100 acres more or less. As the conversation went on at our table he spouted no one needs to own an assault rifle. I got up and left. Boy, is he in for a surprise.

Also a lot of people rural use Hughes net. It's satellite internet. Frontier offers so called High spoke internet. (3 Mbps) I guess that's high speed for DSL and they are all over. I use a service in clarksburg that offers 25,100 and 1000 Mbps. I use the 100 but I am located next to a college. There is a push to get HS internet out to the rural areas but that challenge is going to take a while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom