• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Last night I was trying to figure out whether it would be legal to transport a rifle (unloaded, in a locked case, separate from ammunition) on the DC metro. Everything seemed hunky dory, until I read in the DC code about "gun-free zones." As defined, I'm 95% sure every line passes through several of them. It's clearly an asinine law intended to impede lawful carry, but has anybody ever tried to map them? Is anybody interested in having such a map or helping make one?

DC Code § 22-4502.01 defines the permanent and stationary (yes, there are temporary and mobile ones!) gun-free zones as "all areas within 1000 feet of an appropriately identified public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, youth center, or public library, or in and around public housing."

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Last night I was trying to figure out whether it would be legal to transport a rifle (unloaded, in a locked case, separate from ammunition) on the DC metro. Everything seemed hunky dory, until I read in the DC code about "gun-free zones." As defined, I'm 95% sure every line passes through several of them. It's clearly an asinine law intended to impede lawful carry, but has anybody ever tried to map them? Is anybody interested in having such a map or helping make one?

good idea!

DC Code § 22-4502.01 defines the permanent and stationary (yes, there are temporary and mobile ones!) gun-free zones as "all areas within 1000 feet of an appropriately identified public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, youth center, or public library, or in and around public housing."
    but, doesn't that pretty much cover everything?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I think the transporting firearms laws would be applicable and supercede the gun free zone laws in this case...guns not loaded, locked case...etc. If you have a CCW than I think that it means you must unload and lock up the firearms in a gun free zone...etc.

A better question would be are the transport firearm laws higher in legal order of precedence than the gun free zone laws? I think it is because it is common sense, but I can not find a legal reference that states that as a fact. To complicate matters further, wouldn't the 2nd amendment be the highest order of precedence?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

You forgot section (b);)

§ 22-4502.01. Gun free zones; enhanced penalty.
    (b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.

“Gun Free Zone” as it is applied to DC is a misnomer. They are actually areas with enhanced penalty for illegal carry. So if you can refrain from mugging someone with your gun the law does not effect you.

I am not a lawyer, but I use to date one.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    You forgot section (b);)

§ 22-4502.01. Gun free zones; enhanced penalty.
    (b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.

“Gun Free Zone” as it is applied to DC is a misnomer. They are actually areas with enhanced penalty for illegal carry. So if you can refrain from mugging someone with your gun the law does not effect you.

I am not a lawyer, but I use to date one.

By golly, you're right. I was also trying to find whether "carry" and "transport" are defined in the DC code, but the language in part b makes that sound irrelevant. Guess there's no point in making a map, except for the pure entertainment value of freelance cartography.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    By golly, you're right. I was also trying to find whether "carry" and "transport" are defined in the DC code, but the language in part b makes that sound irrelevant. Guess there's no point in making a map, except for the pure entertainment value of freelance cartography.

Those laws are only in place to scare people that follow the law. In order to prosecute under the enhanced penalty, the area must be specifically designated as a Gun Free Zone with signs surrounding the zone. DC does not make a policy of posting the signs.:rolleyes:

As far as transport through DC, you good to go.

Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)
    § 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.
    (a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b)(1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
    (1) Unloaded;
    (2) Inside a locked container; and
    (3) Separate from any ammunition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom