• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I've been researching the options .> I know there's the Ares SCR [uggh] , and although I've read the Dc Firearms regulations over and over I get confused by the conflict between 'Legally acceptable if it's listed on MD, Ca, or Ma..but illegal if it's an Ar or Ak platform' .. I guess the acceptance list applies to pistols ? That seems to rule out the AR-556 Ruger.

So I started looking into 80% lowers [polymer vs al]. My concern is
    ---Say I purchased a 80% kit. Should be all fine as long as it's not a 'firearm'.
    But, say I assemble this into a firearm. Now technically what I'm readying this should be fine as well, however [state??] laws may be getting grayer.

my concern is should I want to take this firearm to a range in VA or MD and get stopped, car accident, medical emergency suddenly firearm is discovered in trunk ..
    Would I be in violation of firearm laws?
    What if there was an incident that required discharge of this firearm. Would I be suddenly charged with a criminal violation?
    Anyone with personal or legal experience ?
    Moving is not an option at this time ..

Thanks in advance.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If an AR or AK rifle is illegal in DC, then a completed 80% AR or AK receiver would be illegal in DC.

If you mill out an 80, it becomes a 100. And still a firearm. Whether you finish the build or not.

Buy a rifle that's legal in DC. You'll sleep better. And you won't have to worry about auto accidents, medical concerns, negligent discharges, and criminal violations.

Skirting the law usually bites people in the A$$.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As I see it, you have 3 choices, break the law, buy something legal or move.
    I would go with option 2 or 3.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option A - Forget about AR-15, get your 5.56 fix with Mini 14 , rub into your MDS friends " Ha Ha ! I have Shall Issue CCW, and you don't ! "

Option B - Move .

I've been researching the options .> I know there's the Ares SCR [uggh] , and although I've read the Dc Firearms regulations over and over I get confused by the conflict between 'Legally acceptable if it's listed on MD, Ca, or Ma..but illegal if it's an Ar or Ak platform' .. I guess the acceptance list applies to pistols ? That seems to rule out the AR-556 Ruger.

So I started looking into 80% lowers [polymer vs al]. My concern is
    ---Say I purchased a 80% kit. Should be all fine as long as it's not a 'firearm'.
    But, say I assemble this into a firearm. Now technically what I'm readying this should be fine as well, however [state??] laws may be getting grayer.

my concern is should I want to take this firearm to a range in VA or MD and get stopped, car accident, medical emergency suddenly firearm is discovered in trunk ..
    Would I be in violation of firearm laws?
    What if there was an incident that required discharge of this firearm. Would I be suddenly charged with a criminal violation?
    Anyone with personal or legal experience ?
    Moving is not an option at this time ..

Thanks in advance.

OK got to ask....What's wrong with the Fightlite (formerly ARES) SCR? I own 2. In fact I was the person responsible in Maryland for their MSP approval, as I purchased the first one they, or my FFL had ever seen. It's a sweet shooter, legal and a fine option if a "real" AR is not an option. They will accept any AR15 caliber upper, they accept AR15 mags, they are completely customizable light as a feather and very accurate. i have one set up in 300BO and at 125 yards a can cover a 5 round group with a quarter with just a 4 power scouting scope on it.

OH and no need for a heavy barrel either..

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I can understand the hangup in not wanting an SCR. Given the OP's situation, though, it's much better than nothing or breaking the law.

It's motivated me to keep my eyes open for one, though. Things are pretty cool, and would be a great conversation piece for those afraid of a scary looking gun with "features".

I can understand the hangup in not wanting an SCR. Given the OP's situation, though, it's much better than nothing or breaking the law.

It's motivated me to keep my eyes open for one, though. Things are pretty cool, and would be a great conversation piece for those afraid of a scary looking gun with "features".

Just buy the lower from Brownells and then get whatever upper you want. (it also comes as a pistol)

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=scr&ksubmit=y

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since the OP lives in DC , and AR rifles and AR pistols are No Bueno , would DC approve an AR lower ?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Option A - Forget about AR-15, get your 5.56 fix with Mini 14 , rub into your MDS friends " Ha Ha ! I have Shall Issue CCW, and you don't ! "

Option B - Move .
    :thumbsup:

th

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2504.01.html

“No person or organization shall manufacture any firearm, destructive device or parts thereof, or ammunition, within the District”

I’d recommend keeping your especially fun stuff across the border.

Edit: this law goes on to say that handloading for your registered firearms is ok

This trumps all .. Thanks .> The non-lawyer in me says this violates my constitutional rights!

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    OK got to ask....What's wrong with the Fightlite (formerly ARES) SCR? I own 2. In fact I was the person responsible in Maryland for their MSP approval, as I purchased the first one they, or my FFL had ever seen. It's a sweet shooter, legal and a fine option if a "real" AR is not an option. They will accept any AR15 caliber upper, they accept AR15 mags, they are completely customizable light as a feather and very accurate. i have one set up in 300BO and at 125 yards a can cover a 5 round group with a quarter with just a 4 power scouting scope on it.

OH and no need for a heavy barrel either..

Hmmm.. You make a good argument. I admit , I never handled one. I've seen only one in person at MSAR . I don't have a hangup on the looks, I just really wanted a Ruger Ar-556 ..

Maybe I will look closer into the Ares .. The accuracy is a good selling point thanks for commenting .

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Thanks everyone I think I like the idea of the SCR > federal charges ..
    Getting the lower from Brunells may be a good idea since I should be able to match it with the upper of my choice.

Stay safe and vigilant .

DC45

Mar 8, 2018
    DC
    Don’t get the pistol lower, though. They won’t let you register that, since it would be a pistol that has the “capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip” not to mention the threaded barrel you’d probably put on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom