• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I haven't had a chance go get through the big PDF yet, but I will. I wonder if this effectively means that it is no longer necessary to register a handgun in order to be able to have it in DC for the purpose of self and home defense.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is just bizarre. Could it possibly be that DC allowed those emergency acts to expire without having follow-on legislation? Seriously - if that's the case, what are the implications? Without an active law on the books and the gun ban overturned, wouldn't that make things wide open in DC?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This is just bizarre. Could it possibly be that DC allowed those emergency acts to expire without having follow-on legislation? Seriously - if that's the case, what are the implications? Without an active law on the books and the gun ban overturned, wouldn't that make things wide open in DC?

I called and emailed the MPD. They are under the impression the law is still in effect, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is not and they are not in the loop or no one has told them yet.
    Dunno, this might be too good to be true. There has got to be some law still in place other than the 1976 one the SC struck down.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I know there is a big debat on whether they are going to pass the DC voting bill with the amendment to strip the DC gun ban or if those who were for it are going to cower and let it pass without it.

DC Vote vs DC BAN

Latest Report
    I perused both of those articles and it just blows my mind how some people think. There is this idea that if guns are allowed in the District, then somehow all of those law abiding gun owners who follow the rules in both obtaining and keeping those guns are all of a sudden going to turn criminal and threaten the lives of everyone around them. Furthermore, they completely ignore the fact that criminals in the District already possess and criminally use the very guns they fear - it just doesn't make sense.

Of course this is nothing new - this is the same line of irrational thinking 2A advocates have been battling for decades, but it's disheartening to think that these people who lack basic common sense somehow got elected to positions where they can have a major negative impact on their constituents.

I really hope that the District truly is in a state of free-fall with their gun laws, or lack thereof as it currently seems.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    According to the Council website emergency legislation expires 90 days after approval, so I would say the law is dead. Which should mean that DC reverts to the prior gun laws on the books, Im not sure if that is the pre-Heller law or the post Heller stupidity, but basically a more restrictive variant if Im thinking correctly.
    Which would suit them just fine

http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/lims/faq.aspx#9

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    According to the Council website emergency legislation expires 90 days after approval, so I would say the law is dead. Which should mean that DC reverts to the prior gun laws on the books, Im not sure if that is the pre-Heller law or the post Heller stupidity, but basically a more restrictive variant if Im thinking correctly.
    Which would suit them just fine

http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/lims/faq.aspx#9
    I'm certainly no expert so my thoughts on the matter don't really count for much, but with the gun ban being overturned with the SCOTUS decison on Heller. vs DC, I would tend to think that they can't revert to those laws because they are unconstitutional.

What were the laws that were on the books prior to September 1976 when the Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 was passed?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Fascinating.

So, here's a Q -- do we want to call attention to this:bullhorn::bullhorn:, get some media coverage? :deal::deal: or do we want to let things go on as they are and see how long it is before Wile. E Coyote looks down and realizes he missed the turn and there is nothing underneath him for how many thousand feet of free fall to the canyon floor!:evilgrin3:evilgrin3:bannana::bannana::popcorn::popcorn::clap::clap::lol::lol::beer::beer::

my inclination would to be quiet for the moment, see how long it takes for these nimrods to wake up. the more time goes by with no law in place and no consequent disaster the weaker and more exposed the weightless arguments of the dimwitted gungrabbers get.

I'm inclined to agree with trickg's post suggesting that after expiry of the emergency legislation it cannot revert to the law that Heller overturned. Might kick it back to the pre-Heller law, but that was considerably less onerous. For this we need some legal beagle with access to archives...

what a beautiful trainwreck.:party29::party29:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I disagree with not exposing this. It is likely that if there really is a lapse in law, they are hoping like fricken hell no one is noticing before they can get something in place in time, but if we expose this and people realize there really is no law in place, they will be caught in a huge embarassment and it will shower much media attention on them yet again.
    Hell, it might lead to even more lawsuits if some people try to register guns in this time frame and are refused or are made to pay a fee for something that does not exist.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I disagree with not exposing this. It is likely that if there really is a lapse in law, they are hoping like fricken hell no one is noticing before they can get something in place in time, but if we expose this and people realize there really is no law in place, they will be caught in a huge embarassment and it will shower much media attention on them yet again.
    Hell, it might lead to even more lawsuits if some people try to register guns in this time frame and are refused or are made to pay a fee for something that does not exist.
    Agreed. Anyone going to volunteer to call the Sun or the Post?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Agreed. Anyone going to volunteer to call the Sun or the Post?

I sent in a FOIA about how many people have had to pay fees to register since April 6th. While I do not like making things hard for the sergeant, it will be intersting to see the reaction to the request.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD

I'm not sure which would serve us best. I am sure, though, that this can be exploited to advantage whatever we do. I DO think it would be worthwhile to do a little scoping out to know what the true situation actually is before blowing a horn I may be able to find out quietly -- I'll send out a sniffer and see what comes back. WKYP.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Still wondering. The DC sergeant has still not gotten back to me and I think he is stalling hoping they pass a new law before he answers.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think I found something, the October law may still be in effect and is the one sent to Congress for enactment. If this is the law still in effect, but the law with the training requirements has truly expired, then there is no more California approved guns, antiques are legal again and there is no longer a training requirement.

This law may still be in effect: http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/images/00001/20081020154005.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom