• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    So my buddy wants me to make atrip to OnTarget with him after work on Friday. I live in MD, but I work in DC. Does anyone know the laws regarding travelling with a handgun in DC?? I suppose my other option is to stop at my parents place near Columbia on the way to work in the morning and drop the gun off there... then pick it up on the way to OnTarget afterwork.

Before the handgun ban, I wouldn't even have considered bringing it into DC. My other problem is tht I drive a Jeep Wrangler... I guess the bet place to transport would bbe with the ammo locked in the center console. Since the ignition key unlocks the console, I wouldn't be able to get to it with the vehicle running... then I could put the unloaded pistol in it's holster under the passenger seat... I guess you could argue that either of those are within reach, but realisticaly speaking.. not really.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Loan it to your parents for the day for safekeeping. Even with a locked trunk, the risks of rush-hour accidents would keep me from taking it down there. If my trunk, or I am disabled from being rear-ended, I'd rather it be in a safe place than in my car. Just my opinion.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    nah - just wear baggy pants with the crotch to the knees, a hoodie and a watch cap, some bling - maybe a clock or the like hanging from a gold painted dog chain and some biggie smalls blastin. You wont get busted but you might get a stimulus check instead.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You can pass through DC with a firearm, but you cannot travel into DC to work with a handgun unless it is registered in DC to you or to an organization you work for maybe.

Dropping it off at your parents place is an option, but MD law only al,lows the transport of firearms to certain places and events, and unless you are a collector showing off part of your collection to them, or unless you maintain a residence there and are moving from your residences, or unless they hired you out as a manager of their business at the house....etc., you cannot technically take the handgun to their house to drop off.
    If you have a MD designated collectors status or a C&R, you can claim you are a collector on the way to show them a part of your collection as I understand it.
    If you sometimes stay there, you might be able to say it is your other residence, but that may be sketchy.

The only conditions for the handgun when travelling by state law is that it remain unloaded and in an enclosed holster....that is all. Nothing about the ammunition oputside of the handgun or anything about within arms reach in the code.
    Actuaklly, the code says you may wear or carry a handgun on the way to or from the range, so the "out of arms reach" thing is a total myth in myu book.

Montgomerry County has their own law about transport, but MD state law is explicit in their preemption of local laws, so the Mo Co law should be moot. However, if you don't want to be a test case, the Mo Co transport law is this:
    57-10. Keeping guns on person or in
    vehicles. It shall be unlawful for any person to
    have upon his person, concealed or exposed, or
    in a motor vehicle where it is readily available for
    use, any gun designed to use explosive ammunition
    unless:...

....(d) Hunting, target practice, etc. Such person
    is engaged in lawful hunting, drill, training or
    target practice on property of which he is the
    owner or lessee or on property with the prior
    permission of the owner or lessee thereof; or
    (e) Going to or returning from hunting, target