• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Registering a gun is not that easy the first time and is expensive. One journalist went through the process just to see what it is like this year and it was hundreds iof dollars not including the gun. You need to pay for the four hours of training, the background check, the transfer fee the one FFL doing transfers charges, the registration fee, an eye exam if you do not have a drivers license, and I think a few other items.

However, it is still much easier than some places in the US which is a major improvement..

How long ago? I think they streamlined a couple things. I know who to call though...:party29:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    How long ago? I think they streamlined a couple things. I know who to call though...:party29:
    The journalist did this under the current law and was about for months ago.

It took $833.69, a total of 15 hours 50 minutes, four trips to the Metropolitan Police Department, two background checks, a set of fingerprints, a five-hour class and a 20-question multiple-choice exam
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836.html
    The handgun cost him $275, the rest of the $833 was for training costs, transfer fee, registration fee and other DC fees.
    Still way better than Puerto Rico and maybe NY and maybe Hawaii.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The journalist did this under the current law and was about for months ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836.html
    The handgun cost him $275, the rest of the $833 was for training costs, transfer fee, registration fee and other DC fees.
    Still way better than Puerto Rico and maybe NY and maybe Hawaii.

To get my NV permit I spent

150 individual training class training class on a weekend (included range fee)
    100.25 license fee
    600 for my Glock which I already owned but would need anyway
    25 bucks for ammo.

I did not include airfare to Vegas as that skews the comparison.
    My VA and UT and FL permits were similar in costs and fees except I did not have to pay for training as I had previous certifications.

He didn't do that bad at all IMO. The gun was cheap. Buy a semi and it's even closer to what I paid.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    To get my NV permit I spent

150 individual training class training class on a weekend (included range fee)
    100.25 license fee
    600 for my Glock which I already owned but would need anyway
    25 bucks for ammo.

I did not include airfare to Vegas as that skews the comparison.
    My VA and UT and FL permits were similar in costs and fees except I did not have to pay for training as I had previous certifications.

He didn't do that bad at all IMO. The gun was cheap. Buy a semi and it's even closer to what I paid.

Texas Permit
    $70 class 1 day (Included range Fees)
    $Free License Fee (I'm Military)
    $199 Tokarev TTC
    $30 FFL03
    $100 for 1260 rounds (50 used $3.98)

$399 Total

Airfare $220 round trip - stayed with friends BWI-Austin Round Trip Southwest.

$619 with air fare. :)

Mark

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Guys, that is a permit to carry, he had to pay all what he did just to own and be able to posses ammunition for it in his own home.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I know this is an old thread, but I will likely be coming to the D.C. area this summer. So, I had it in my mind that I would be living in an apartment in Washington DC, but then I looked at a map from AAA. It appears Arlington is not in D.C. but within the state of Virginia. I thought D.C. as a big square that cuts through both Maryland and Virginia, and this was a surprise to me. Someone please tell me that Arlington is not part of D.C. and not subject to their laws.

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    I know this is an old thread, but I will likely be coming to the D.C. area this summer. So, I had it in my mind that I would be living in an apartment in Washington DC, but then I looked at a map from AAA. It appears Arlington is not in D.C. but within the state of Virginia. I thought D.C. as a big square that cuts through both Maryland and Virginia, and this was a surprise to me. Someone please tell me that Arlington is not part of D.C. and not subject to their laws.

VA took back their part of DC. Arlington is not subject to DC law as it is in VA.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    VA took back their part of DC. Arlington is not subject to DC law as it is in VA.

Strube, I love you, man! This is the best thing I've heard since I started looking into the move to the D.C. area!

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007

Yes. Arlington, Virginia is in Virginia.

And be careful because some people equate "inside the beltway" to be DC and that is incorrect. The beltway is a circle around the square-ish waste of land called DC. So you can be inside the beltway and be standing in VA, MD, or DC.

Familiarize yourself with a map to know where the borders are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom