Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Notices

Old Today, 09:04 AM #71
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

Attention-PA no longer recognizes any NR CCW permit

Recognition and reciprocity are not the same. I talked to Gary Slider at handgun law and he points out nothing in the AG pamphlet limits issuance to reciprocal states. Only that you have a permit from your home state for PA to issue .

Gary does have a call into a PA sheriff to get clarification but its s weekend

But a state could recognize PA and not meet the standards for PA reciprocity like VA will be next month.

But IMO the requirement for recognition seems a bit nebulous. Guess well find out

But I agree if there is reciprocity no need for the permit. But recognition is a different animal IMO
Old Today, 09:10 AM #72

I doubled Posted.

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10 AM #73

The below is quoted out of context. This wording is for someone to legally be able to carry a firearm in Pennsylvania. You have to have a permit Issued or Honored by PA to carry there. This has been on the PA State Police site for years. I have talked to them about them stating Resident permits only from the states they honor. That wasn't the case before. That is why the previous AG started amending agreements as Resident Only as PA Statute doesn't allow for that but the AG can sign agreements. When I talked to the PA state Police in years past about there stating resident permits only their standard comeback was, "Read the Agreements!' If it states resident permit only then it is resident permits only. I told them that there were non-resident permits issued by states that the agreement didn't state Resident permits only and they were QUIET. No Answer. This is just someone reading the rules different than someone else.

I have not been able to find any workaround??

1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
Old Today, 09:16 AM #74

One Problem PA has is that there are Sheriffs that will not issue to non-residents. I had one tell me years ago after he wouldn't even give me an Application and wouldn't issue me one anyways, "Sue ME!" So call ahead or check out the sheriffs website to see if they issue. The Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association has a list of their county Sheriffs and if they issue or not. Be a good place to start looking. http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
Old Today, 09:17 AM #75
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

So in essence nothing has changed. PA will issue a NR permit to a person who possess a permit from their home state.

End of story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:33 AM #76

I should have added this link http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...nsylvania.aspx

Scroll to the bottom of the page. You will see it states the below and this is what the person read and thought to apply you needed to be a resident of the state they have reciprocity with.

Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. 6106(2)(b) as listed above, including 6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement.

For a list of the state licenses/permits recognized by the Attorney General under 6106(2)(b)(15), and for more information regarding the carrying of firearms in Pennsylvania, please visit www.attorneygeneral.gov.

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us
Old Today, 10:43 AM #77

One more follow up. It is statute so there could not have been an Administrative Rule Change without us seeing or hearing about such a change as it would have been talked about a lot in the different firearm news/blogs/forums etc etc.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...tn=9&subsctn=0

Title 18 6109. Licenses.

(e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues