• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Upcoming trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. Flying out of BWI and back in to Regan (don't ask). I think I'd be fine with a pistol in my luggage while at the airport and under TSA control, but the minute I leave the terminal to come home that pistol in my luggage makes me a felon. Is that correct?

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    NO That is incorrect. Carry in an airport in VA is not legal, but transport is. All you have to do is keep it in the luggage until you get off airport property. Then you can wear it open on your side.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    NO That is incorrect. Carry in an airport in VA is not legal, but transport is. All you have to do is keep it in the luggage until you get off airport property. Then you can wear it open on your side.

Regan National Airport is in Washington D. C.

I'm not worried about carry. I'm worried about leaving the airport with it secured in my luggage and being in D.C. for a short while until getting back to MD.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Regan National Airport is in Washington D. C.

Not anymore. The fill land in the potomac was ceded to Virginia. All the terminals are in Arlington Co.

I fly in and out of there with firearms in my luggage all the time. No different from any other airport. Locked case, unloaded.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Oops. My mistake. Physical location of Regan National is Arlington, VA. So the question is getting from there to home without going through DC.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Just head SOUTH on the George Washington Parkway parkway into Alexandria, then make your way to 495, and then home.

Going north exposes you to one short stretch of the George Washington parkway just above the airport that is controlled by DC.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Upcoming trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. Flying out of BWI and back in to Regan (don't ask). I think I'd be fine with a pistol in my luggage while at the airport and under TSA control, but the minute I leave the terminal to come home that pistol in my luggage makes me a felon. Is that correct?

Ronald Reagan (God Rest His Soul) Washington National Airport is in Arlington, Va.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    -- edited/deleted --

Don't trust the boundary lines on the map and want to avoid making a bad auggestion

---
    Shamr0ck

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    From the map, it appears there is a sliver of the Wilson bridge (western side) which is in DC so it appears heading south to 495 and then driving clockwise around (or take GW parkway to 495) and continue clockwise are your options unless you want to head south on 95 and cross the Potomac on the Nice bridge in king George.

There is no presence of the DC government on that bridge. Even if you were to get into a wreck on the first 200ft of the bridge, it would be VA state patrol or MDSP you are dealing with.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The are two area to be concerned with. One is the vary small portion of the Wilson Bridge that is technically in DC. But as mentioned, DC only has responsibility for the water, not the bridge itself.

The other small portion that is technically in DC is a one mile section of the GW Parkway as it crosses Columbia Island. Just travel as per FOPA and you'll be fine.

IANAL

Attachments

• dc.JPG
      dc.JPG
      30.2 KB · Views: 211
    • Columbia_Island_DC3.jpg
      Columbia_Island_DC3.jpg
      105.8 KB · Views: 210

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The other small portion that is technically in DC is a one mile section of the GW Parkway as it crosses Columbia Island. Just travel as per FOPA and you'll be fine.

I believe this part is patrolled by US Park Police. You can easily avoid that stretch by leaving the airport on VA123 and take Rt1 and 110 and join the parkway past the memorial bridge.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never in all my years ever seen DCM police on that stretch of road and I'm talking 1000s of trips. As long as you stay out of DC proper, you should be fine. I've flown out of DC-Reagan numerous times with firearms with no problems.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was trying to keep it simple. If you are not familiar with the area it is easy to get turned around and end up in DC proper.,

The exit road to Reagan off RT 1 is 233, not 123.

If you're traveling under FOPA and not carrying, I think GW PW is a fine direct route with little chance of getting lost..

Remember his firearm is ina locked case in his luggage.

Going south on the PW to 495 is a more direct route to SO MD anyway. No need for a northern trip.

Mr H

Banana'd
    There is no presence of the DC government on that bridge. Even if you were to get into a wreck on the first 200ft of the bridge, it would be VA state patrol or MDSP you are dealing with.

My understanding is that the water area in that wedge is handled by DC, but the bridge is not.

But, if the OP is still concerned, see if David Gregory can pick him up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was trying to keep it simple. If you are not familiar with the area it is easy to get turned around and end up in DC proper.,

The exit road to Reagan off RT 1 is 233, not 123.

If you're traveling under FOPA and not carrying, I think GW PW is a fine direct route with little chance of getting lost..

Remember his firearm is ina locked case in his luggage.

Going south on the PW to 495 is a more direct route to SO MD anyway. No need for a northern trip.

Totally agree with all this.^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom