• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    First get a lobotomy. Second have your wife kick you right square in the balls every morning; once today, twice tomorrow, thrice the day after and keep adding one kick per day......only then will you be ready for the pain of Maryland. Proper preparation is important.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    As Homer Simpson once said “If i don't see it, its not illegal!”

Bingo.

64Br1raj25po1_540-1024x1024.jpg

It constantly amazes me to see the way the "don't tread on me" crowd that talks tough about standing up against oppressive powers will instantly do backflips to avoid anything even resembling civil disobedience.

As for OP, there are many many many options to not live in MD proper when it comes to having your weapons but working on a base in MD. Many people I know live in either VA or PA, not even necessarily for gun reasons, just that they can have houses and yards without paying over $3k a month for it. Unless you plan on shooting very often, getting a storage unit outside of MD is also an option.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    To more directly answer at least one of the OP's questions: the roster is only if you want to purchase a handgun in Maryland. The ones you own now can be brought into the state, and registered IF THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO AVOID BECOMING AN "OFFICIAL" MD RESIDENT. Of course we can't discuss the option of "out of sight, out of the mind of the overlords" for anything you bring with you into MD, that would be illegal.

As others have already mentioned, establishing residence in any other adjoining state is the preferred option if it is at all possible. As for the Armalite style rifles, any "standard profile" (non heavy barrel, as either stamped on the barrel or advertised as HBAR by the manufacturer) in 5.56 mm cannot come one inch over the state line unless you owned it before October of 2013. For other calibers (various 6.5 mm flavors, 300 Blackout, .458 or .460, or even 7.62x39 mm, etc.) there is really no designation as far as barrel weight so there are no idiotic rules about barrel weight for those calibers. You could buy an HBAR upper in 5.56 to put on one of your existing lowers, or buy a whole new HBAR rifle after you move if you want.

You didn't ask, but also need to know, bring all of your standard capacity magazines with you. You can own and use them, just can't buy, sell, or give to your neighbor for his birthday any mag over 10 rounds inside the fence of the prison camp Maryland.

As far as the rules about civilian spouses of military, I know nothing. One last thing, please also check out MSI: www.marylandshallissue.org

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Neither the military member nor spouse need to become state residents, and given the hole that md is I know if no reason why one would want to. That said, it does not exempt one from following the laws of that state.

You keep your home state tags, vote there, driver's license, etc.

Live in another state if at all possible. I never got orders which told me where to live, only the unit I was assigned to. Lived in TN while assigned to Ft. Campbell in KY.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Pax River is close to VA.

Umm...no. It's a 45 minute drive from the base to the 301 bridge, providing there's no traffic. And there is always traffic on a work day. I know people who lived in Dalghren and worked at Pax - they wound up moving here, the drive was just too much.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Umm...no. It's a 45 minute drive from the base to the 301 bridge, providing there's no traffic. And there is always traffic on a work day. I know people who lived in Dalghren and worked at Pax - they wound up moving here, the drive was just too much.

One of my coworkers does that drive daily. Even with Va going down the drain like Md, its still worth it at least until he retires.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Welcome to MDS , maybe one day I will get out of this hell-hole but after I die I will be back in a hole 6' under . So I think I am doomed , but at least I will be free at that point .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Commute times are very relative. I drove over an hour and a half from the Eastern Shore to Fort Meade daily for four years. I worked with a guy who came to Meade from Deep Creek Lake for two years before he retired. Lots of people commute from PA (multiple full van pools from Shrewsbury, Hanover, and York areas) and VA to Meade. I worked with another guy who commuted from DE off 404.

On a relatively short term military assignment, I would put up with the commute to avoid MDs B.S.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    To the OP: These threads about moving to Maryland are always the same, so welcome to MDS. And welcome to Maryland, c'mon down (my map says there are plenty of places in VA that are north of parts of MD). Don't get a lobotomy :sad20: . Register the guns if your residency must move to Maryland, and be sure to vote. We need the votes. Some parts of the state are politically more tolerable to live in than others, we even have several "2A Sanctuary Counties" though I'm not sure that has made a practical impact anywhere. Where in Maryland are ya headed?

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    We are buying a house im Bowie area. We were in Virginia Bearch just over 4 years. Now moving to Maryland . Thanks for all the info guys!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We are buying a house im Bowie area. We were in Virginia Bearch just over 4 years. Now moving to Maryland ��. Thanks for all the info guys!

Check out Berwyn Rod and Gin Club when you get there.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Buy your standard capacity (+10) magazines before you move into MD for the sake of convenience. You can bring in whatever you want, but they're not sold in MD by law.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Military Spouse Act – Residency Relief (MSRRA) The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) provides protection to military spouses related to residency, voting, and taxes. The MSRRA amends the Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) to include the same privileges to a military servicemember's spouse.

Spouses are covered.

It should be noted that domicile status requires an individual does not necessarily mean where you live, but setting up permanent status which includes applying for a driver’s license or vehicle registration, filing taxes, or voting. The MSRRA does not allow a spouse to pick or chose a domicile in just any State. Domicile is established, not arbitrarily chosen. The spouse must have actually been present in the State, established it as his or her domicile, and maintained it by forming and maintaining the necessary contacts, such as registering to vote, owning property, registering vehicles, holding professional licenses, declaring a homestead, or indicating a State of probate in a last will and testament.

Read more: https://militarybenefits.info/military-spouse-act-residency-relief-msrra/#ixzz6MYN2Yey3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom