• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General

Nov 3, 2019
    So I went thru a FFL in Virginia, I get there and I do my paperwork, so I'm waiting for my background check to come thru, which is clean. No warrants, No convictions, born an raised in the USA, full blooded American. But as I wait, 2 people come in a goes thru the same paperwork I just did and they were in and out in 10 mins.. But I'm sitting there waiting going on 25 mins. So is there a longer wait for a background check for MD residents buying from Virginia FFL? Oh I forgot too add that they said my background was still in research and to check back a week later, is this normal?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you have a common name? Even if you don't, there's a chance you might share a name with a prohibited person, so the system flags it and a human has to look at it. I'm pretty sure no one else in the country has my first, middle, and last names and my VSP are always done just about instantly.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Common name can get you flagged, dont take it personally.

My longest check took about 10 minutes, the shortest less than 2 minutes.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If it's a busy time, the clerks will hit "delay" just to get rid of the ticket. Purely random. A name that is similar to someone with background issues can also cause a delay.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I don't know what your trade is but any type of federally issued clearance causes a delay.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I don't know what your trade is but any type of federally issued clearance causes a delay.

I am not doubting your experience, but I know quite a bit of people with clearances who never had any delays. Actually, I don’t know anyone who had any delays. So, it’s possible that having a clearance might flag you, but not from what I have seen.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have never had a delay even though I don't give my social. I have family who gets delayed every time.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    My only delay was at a Dicks Sporting Goods and that was the only time I ever DID give my ssn.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I am not doubting your experience, but I know quite a bit of people with clearances who never had any delays. Actually, I don’t know anyone who had any delays. So, it’s possible that having a clearance might flag you, but not from what I have seen.

Not that I have one, but if I did, and everyone I might know that has one, the LG wait is 1 -3 hours instead of 15 minutes.

Certain stores are so accustomed to this, they ask after 45 minutes if you have a clearance.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

After 23 years of active duty and another 15 as a DoD civilian, I, nor any of my co-workers, have ever experience a delay. BTW....I was a security professional dealing in clearances and background checks. None of that information is available in the NICS system, so our clearances could not have been an issue.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Yea I've never had an issue with my clearance delaying a gun purchase.

Sorry OP, that sucks and I hope it comes through quicker than they said.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    After 23 years of active duty and another 15 as a DoD civilian, I, nor any of my co-workers, have ever experience a delay. BTW....I was a security professional dealing in clearances and background checks. None of that information is available in the NICS system, so our clearances could not have been an issue.

You have access to the NICS DBDD, if so, I'd love to see it.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    You have access to the NICS DBDD, if so, I'd love to see it.

Sorry, but experience is past tense. I retired over 5 years ago. Did have to deal with FBI and other federal police agencies when a subject failed to receive a clearance due to "other agency issues". That was when I learned that they didn't have access to the DSS/OPM files on security clearances. I was amazed to learn that almost NONE of the various agencies talked to each other or allowed access to their databases. I believe this type of secrecy is why so many wackos have access to firearms they never should have owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom