Looking to purchase my first handgun. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Great! Can’t really remember but I thought the instructor said you would get in trouble if caught with a extended mag. Maybe I heard it wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, where did you take your HQL class?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Don't forget Baltimore's Best Pawn in Finksburg. About 25 miles from Tyler's so a little further out for you but they stock Sigs and Glocks. Not as much in the way of revolvers but Dan will be there when you're ready to start your 1911 or 2011 addiction. Plus, since it is a pawn shop, you can get a set of tools or whatever else when you're there.

Both excellent shops.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Tyler Firearms is a Glock Blue Label dealer if you go glock join the GSSF first and you’ll get 2 glock coupons with a 2yr membership. It’s probably the best deal you’ll see on a glock.

You can also get the paperwork motorized for your designated collectors there.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just a heads up for that designated collector letter. I believe that you need to have at least 1 regulated firearm, that the MSP knows about, before they will approve the DC status.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Tyler Firearms is a Glock Blue Label dealer if you go glock join the GSSF first and you’ll get 2 glock coupons with a 2yr membership. It’s probably the best deal you’ll see on a glock.

You can also get the paperwork motorized for your designated collectors there.

Wow, thanks for this gem! Looking into it

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    If you go Glock, you can also get an AR 9 pistol or a Kriss Vector (with brace) and share magazines. Also a PTR 9CT is a blast to shoot and is a braced pistol but uses MP5 style mags.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I'd say a few things.

Have fun and take your time, which I'd say you are. It's a great opportunity to learn and meet new people, plus you want the right gun.

Keep an open mind. If you go in stuck on 1 caliber, size, brand, etc, you may miss said right gun. The only thing I knew (buying in FL) was that I was getting gun that I would carry.

It's very personal. I have nothing against anyone who is pro Glock, but my service weapon was with a Sig with a different grip angle. 2 styles of training wasn't something I wanted. Ultimately I went with a USP-C in .40. Good luck!

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    I'd say a few things.

Have fun and take your time, which I'd say you are. It's a great opportunity to learn and meet new people, plus you want the right gun.

Keep an open mind. If you go in stuck on 1 caliber, size, brand, etc, you may miss said right gun. The only thing I knew (buying in FL) was that I was getting gun that I would carry.

It's very personal. I have nothing against anyone who is pro Glock, but my service weapon was with a Sig with a different grip angle. 2 styles of training wasn't something I wanted. Ultimately I went with a USP-C in .40. Good luck!

Thanks. From all the comments I’ve learned that choosing your first gun is personal. Really leaning towards the Glock. My even join the GSSF for my discount and attend an event.

dplay

Mar 27, 2016
    A.A. co. north
    Another vote for Tyler Firearms, as if you needed one. They have infinite patience with those of us who might be unsure of what we need, or want.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When you decide between Glock and Sig, be sure to check the intergoogle for law enforcement trade ins. You can usually get a smoking good deal on LE trade in firearms. I saw a G22 Gen 4 in very good condition for 300 the other day online...

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    When you decide between Glock and Sig, be sure to check the intergoogle for law enforcement trade ins. You can usually get a smoking good deal on LE trade in firearms. I saw a G22 Gen 4 in very good condition for 300 the other day online...

Decided on the Glock 19. Signed up with GSSF. Waiting on my coupon to come in and get my brand new Glock. Gen 4 for $410 or $425 for Gen 5.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    So I purchased a Glock 19 Gen 5 with. GSSF coupon. I’ll be able to pick it up Monday (7days)

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    New Handgun purchase

I like 2a in Jessup. They have a big selection, have gone through the paperwork many, many times and were really great when I did a transfer through them a while back.

Personally, I like the 320 as I have big hands, want a steel frame, and really do like a hammer fired pistol. Of course I dropped all my money on a Walther PPQ Q5, but if I had known they were coming out with an all steel framed version of that gun I would have waited. I like the weight of a steel frame and it does not change so much as the magazine empties, which changes the balance of the gun. I do like the PPQ short (quick) trigger reset, but the initial pull is very long, although still the best striker fired trigger pull I have experienced.

I also like .22 target pistols, like the Browning Buckmark Hunter, or the Ruger Mark IV hunter, but if you only have money for one gun, get the one you can also use for self defense if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom