• ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Lat: 39.50890
    Lon: -108.55490
    Elevation: 6614 ft

csm, perhaps you've been here, but this is the the end of roan road (well, i think the road goes on, but it's gated at private property) above de beque. facing the gate, we hiked down to the stream/creek and then along the stream away from the gate for a ways, then eventually back up to the road and back to the truck. frankly, just didn't have the chutzpah to cross the the creek and attempt to climb up thru the trees at what had to be 75+ degree angles. but looked like a triple summit, was just amazing.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    We went out to Idaho for our bi-annual elk hunt. The tags are over the counter, and we hunted the Tex Creek region. The tags are a bit pricey for non-residents, hunting license $154, elk tag $416, deer tag $301 and depredation fee $10. We buy the deer tag as why not...The southeast region was hit hard a few winters ago, and the deer population hasn't rebounded to high.

The drive out is long and arduous, especially the corn belt which is super flat. 2 days from Winchester to Alpine WY (border of ID/WY an hour south of Jackson, WY). If you carry on the trip out, pay attention to which state you are in and what laws you have to follow.

Using GoogleEarth and OnXMaps, we had a plan A and B both pack in camping. Awesome looking drainage, long hikes and no ATV access. We got out there the day prior to elk open, every single trailhead and parking area was covered in horse trailers. Must have seen 30 trailers, and figure at least 2 horses in each. Scrapped our plans and wound up in the National Forest campground for some car camping. Everyday we walked from the campground to the trails, did the 3 hour (2K foot elevation) hike to the top to be in the prime spots at sun up. If you look in the one long distance picture, you can see the lake we started our hike from. Weather was crazy with teens and low 20's at night into the 60's during the day. Most of the weight in our packs wound up being the clothes we shed during the hike. I have absolutely zero issues with all the trailers, we were super jealous! Part of being a local is being able to get out and scout.

The animals were holed up during most of the day it was so hot, had to get early mornings to find them or sneak through the dark timber and drainage. The majority of the other hunters would ride their horses through the area we were hunting, and by the end of the week, we had the place to ourselves. For the most part, we saw cows and doe. It wasn't until the end of the week we figured out how to hunt the area and found the elk. With a 16% success rate, we didn't look too shabby by the end. On Friday morning I watches a herd cut down a ridge between my buddy and I, just happened that they worked their way to my buddy a few hours later. Took me 3 hours to get to where I saw the elk. He got the bull Friday evening, we spent 8 hours and 6 miles round trip getting it out Saturday morning. Grueling endeavor, but is totally worth the effort. Saw elk, deer, moose and dozens of grouse; no predators. Pay attention to the weather, during the warm part of the day, we would get thousands of ticks us when glassing in the sunlight.

We will be going back out in 2 years and I cannot wait.

Attachments

• IMG_3355.JPG
      IMG_3355.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 115
    • IMG_3324.JPG
      IMG_3324.JPG
      47.4 KB · Views: 119
    • IMG_3367 (1).JPG
      IMG_3367 (1).JPG
      77.9 KB · Views: 131
    • IMG_4444.jpg
      IMG_4444.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 124
    • IMG_3350.JPG
      IMG_3350.JPG
      68.8 KB · Views: 119
    • IMG_3388.JPG
      IMG_3388.JPG
      97.3 KB · Views: 117

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    super congrats, sounds y'all did a lot of work and it paid off! yep i'm already anxious about getting back out west next year. and to be honest, if i had a hunting buddy, i prob could be convinced to go back out there for late rifle in november... but i guess with whitetails literally in my backyard, prob should stick close to home for a while. with 3 days driving out and 3 back, a week scouting and 5 days hunting, that was a LOT of trip.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    here's a muley we jumped when we climbed a dry creek bed all the way to the top, while scouting. if in season and i had the tag, i would have had him. ditto for the one that walked under me on opening morning when i was posted halfway up a canyon. other pic is just me glassin' along one of the multitudes of dirt roads while scouting.

Attachments

• muley resized.jpg
      muley resized.jpg
      80.8 KB · Views: 100
    • scouting resized.jpg
      scouting resized.jpg
      121.5 KB · Views: 88

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm probably looking at a 2020-2021 hunt as the earliest I could get wife approval to disappear for that long.

Is there any shame in paying a guide to increase my odds of success for a once in a decade thing? It's unlikely I'll get to do this often til my very young kids are out of college. Saving the money is less of an issue than finding the time right now.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I'm probably looking at a 2020-2021 hunt as the earliest I could get wife approval to disappear for that long.

Is there any shame in paying a guide to increase my odds of success for a once in a decade thing? It's unlikely I'll get to do this often til my very young kids are out of college. Saving the money is less of an issue than finding the time right now.

No shame at all, and should definitely up your chances on a first time hunt.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I bought a preference point in Wyoming for Pronghorn and Elk (my first) yesterday. Going to go on a guided pronghorn hunt in 2020 and will probably bank elk points for another 5 years or so (2025) and think about a elk hunt out there.

If anyone has hunted speed goats in Wyoming with a guide they recommend please pass it along.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County

With the distance we live from the Rockies, no shame at all.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks guys. I've only been whitetail hunting a few years, entirely self taught. Hiring a guide feels like cheating to some extent, but I suppose it's no guarantee either. Still would need to get myself in position and make the shot.

The shame is we have family and friends who get lots of elk in the Dakota's, but they won't do nonresident tags.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009

No shame at all. We are considering going with a Guide next time. Do your do diligence and check success, references, etc.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I bought a preference point in Wyoming for Pronghorn and Elk (my first) yesterday. Going to go on a guided pronghorn hunt in 2020 and will probably bank elk points for another 5 years or so (2025) and think about a elk hunt out there.

If anyone has hunted speed goats in Wyoming with a guide they recommend please pass it along.

No info for you, but we are planning for pronghorn as well. They are everywhere on the drive across state. Interestingly enough, we have yet to see one dead on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom