• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 304tothecore

Sep 10, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    ... to belong to a club where you could shoot, even a regular range you use?

Just curious

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    My local range is less than 10 minutes away and I go weekly. I'm also a member of a range that is 90 minutes away (Peacemaker in WV) and I go about once a month. Those are the only two I pay a yearly fee for.

For competitions or special events, I have traveled up to 2.5 hours one way. Those 8 AM start times are killer for those far away events.

304tothecore

Sep 10, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    My local range is less than 10 minutes away and I go weekly. I'm also a member of a range that is 90 minutes away (Peacemaker in WV) and I go about once a month. Those are the only two I pay a yearly fee for.

For competitions or special events, I have traveled up to 2.5 hours one way. Those 8 AM start times are killer for those far away events.
    Peacemakers is close to me, I've heard good things but never been

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Sitting in a fixed position like behind the steering wheel for long periods is hard on my old hips. The closer range, 40 minuets, won’t allow draw-and-shoot. Fifty minutes away is where the range I’m a member is located. For me, under an hour is what I shoot for.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I live about 5 minutes from AAF&G. To me, that's a huge advantage, even with the club's restricted shooting hours. I still belong to the Goddard Gun Club, a member club of AGC. I used to buy a range badge to shoot in Marriottsville. However, it's a solid hour drive each way. To get decent range time meant burning off a whole morning or afternoon. So, I ultimately just focused on my local club.

JoeR

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Since lost the farm where we would shoot all the time, I started going to Elkneck which is a nice haul from Millersville and make a day of it . Being familiar with western Md and having family up that way I would go to Savage shooting which I love shooting there also making a day out of it.Both of them packing lunch bringing drink . Shoot some ,clean guns . Always brought numerous things to shoot. Now I belong to AGC which is about 1/2 hour drive and it’s nice. Biggest thing for me was getting used to shooting around other people. Caught a ricochet once because some idiot shooting down at close range . This particular range has no RO. But very comfortable with AGC . Also go to shore to Delmarva and shoot . So guess I’ll drive pretty far to shoot but always made a day out of it. Some other ranges around pretty clos but seem expensive to me ,mandatory work time . Which I wouldn’t mind but just heard stories about them which made me pass.want to shoot long guns I make the drive.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My first club was the Monocacy Pistol Club which turned out to be less than a mile from my house when we moved to Frederick. Later when we lived in Hagerstown and I worked in WV I joined Peacemaker. Now I live in WV and its only about 30 minutes from the farm I live on. I can shoot on the farm as well so I setup a steel range out behind my place plus a LR rifle range on another part of the 200 acres.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Don't hate me, AGC is ten minutes away from my house..... :rolleyes:

I am less than 15 minutes away from AGC. I belong to Damscus IWLA. I personally like the vibe there better and don’t like having RSOs literally or proverbially breathing down my neck.

I am 25min from Damascus IWLA. AGC has nicer facilities. Damascus IWLA is good enough.

I do wish I belonged to a place that would let me shoot 25yd steel for pistol and 100yd+ steel for rifle. Not the end of my world. I also wish I belonged to a range that had a few 300yd+ lanes.

Some day. For now Damascus IWLA works great for me and my kids. I plan to join Carroll County Gun Club for trap as I am a little over 15 minutes from themand it is cheap. I just need to brush up on what the extra duties are as a member. Not a ton of spare time, but the flexibility of being able to shoot trap (there) not just on Sundays from 1-4 and Wednesday’s from 5-9 would be nice.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Now I belong to AGC which is about 1/2 hour drive and it’s nice. Biggest thing for me was getting used to shooting around other people. Caught a ricochet once because some idiot shooting down at close range . This particular range has no RO. But very comfortable with AGC .

You caught a richochet at AGC because someone was shooting down? The range has no Range Officer? I call bs. AGC has Range Officers, to start. What club are you a member of?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'll travel over 2 hours one way but under 4 for an all day sporting clays outing

Regular paper hole punching, not much more than 20 minutes one way. I'm very close to PA, plenty of fish/game clubs that are close by

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Once a year (sometimes twice) I travel 6 hours one way to shoot 800 yards. It is usually an overnight stay, sometimes two. I treat it more as an event than just a trip to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom