• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    Depends...if you do much low light shooting, then most definitely. If you shoot largely inside of 200 yds on a range in decent weather conditions then not as much.

Value is very subjective

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Anyone have experience with the leupold 1.25-4x20 or something similar? I've been eying one of those up too but it's obviously more than a vortex strike eagle so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. There is a non illuminated model too. That's like 200 plus dollars cheaper then the scope with the "dot" lol

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    What is the reasoning behind a 1.25 magnification?

Seems like the perfect way to ruin a both eyes open optic.

Probably two reasons.
    They use a 3x erector so its 1.25-3.75x and they just round up to 4x on the high end.
    True 1x is much harder to do well than 1.25x

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Ah, so they're actually kind of false advertising . Are all 1-4 power scopes like this? Leupold got super defensive when my old man asked them if their hog scopes are made in China. Amazon lists them as imported .

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Ah, so they're actually kind of false advertising . Are all 1-4 power scopes like this?

I'm not an expert this is just my general understanding but I don't think most newer scopes are like this. 4x, 6x and 8x erectors are much more common.

so if you have a
    2.5-10x that's a 4x
    3-18x is a 6x
    2-7x is a 3x but is really a 2.2-6.6x

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you were getting a new 3-gun scope, what would you pick? My Millet DMR is horrible in anything darker than the noon day sun. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle, but I haven't fielded it. I want a 1-6 or 1-8x scope with a true 1x. Suggestions? Not looking to pay S&B prices.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If you were getting a new 3-gun scope, what would you pick? My Millet DMR is horrible in anything darker than the noon day sun. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle, but I haven't fielded it. I want a 1-6 or 1-8x scope with a true 1x. Suggestions? Not looking to pay S&B prices.

I love my Strike Eagle, give it a shot!

Cons for your application
    It’s heavy
    1-2X with a Front sight post is very distracting

They also have a diamondback in 1.5. I just snagged a 3X9 it’s clear but that’s all i can tell you until it hits the range.

Their higher end scope have 1X but we’re talking 800 and 1100 with LEO discount

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

If you were willing to spend about $1100 the Trijicon 1-8x28 is a fine optic.

In a budget find a used Vortex Viper PST 1-4x they are excellent optics and can be found on ebay for $350 without rings or $500-$600 with QD mount.

I shot with another member at Mayberry and was hitting the steel plate at 500yds with this optic. I was shocked.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    This is an easy answer for me. I have been using Nikon's BLACK FORCE1000 scope for 2 years now and just bought 2 more. 1 is going on a .375 H&H and the other on a .223 SBR. This illuminated scope lets you get on target and make a quick and accurate shot. My son and I have taken more swine with this scope in the last 9 months then I have total over the last 5 years. 30 mm tube, Speed Force illuminated reticle for under $400.

Screen%20Shot%202018-04-18%20at%208.00.10%20PM.png

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is an easy answer for me. I have been using Nikon's BLACK FORCE1000 scope for 2 years now and just bought 2 more. 1 is going on a .375 H&H and the other on a .223 SBR. This illuminated scope lets you get on target and make a quick and accurate shot. My son and I have taken more swine with this scope in the last 9 months then I have total over the last 5 years. 30 mm tube, Speed Force illuminated reticle for under $400.

Screen%20Shot%202018-04-18%20at%208.00.10%20PM.png

Is Nikon going to make a 1-6x scope any time soon? Thanks.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Questiono

Is Nikon going to make a 1-6x scope any time soon? Thanks.

I do not know what is in the pipeline these days, Jim. Everything has been hush hush. I know the old MONARCH Gold 1.5-6x42 is still one of my favorite scopes. When I heard they were not going to be in production any longer I bought 4. Loaned one to a friend who never gave it back, just gave me $ and said sorry. If it had a MOA reticle it would be perfect.

I'm as excited as you are to see what new will be showing up this year. I have heard a few rumors but I don't like to gossip so I won't pass them along. With the success of the BLACK Series of scopes/mounts I imagine more will follow.

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-30%20at%208.04.14%20AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom