• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Looking for an inexpensive scope mount for a 1x4 scope for my AR. Would like something that provides clearance for Magpul BUIS on the rear underneath it. Thanks

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I bought one of the $29 Weaver AR mounts at Walmart. Mine has a 1-6x. I don't have buis, so I don't know if it will clear it. I served well for me during deer season.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    your scope will dictate the required scope mount height required for the BUIS clearance. i have a burris PEPR QD on my AR with a 1-4 scope and magpul BUIS. i would wager thats not your definition of cheap as it runs about 90 bucks regular price, but sales can be had. The PEPR mount has 1 inch of rise which is sufficient for clearance with my scope. so a 1 inch high scope mount should serve you well. (the 1 inch is from the rail to the base of the scope rings)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    https://www.amazon.com/Locking-Inse...20869785&sr=8-27&keywords=green+blob+qd+mount

Green blob has some cheap QD mounts. It might clear the Magpul BUIS as they sit fairly low, but it will depend on the ocular bell diameter. I have always used a 1 piece QD mount for my 1-6X PA scopes with MI low profile sights. No problem with clearance.

Watch out with these guys. I ordered a couple sling attachment points from them and they were out of spec and wouldn't work.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Watch out with these guys. I ordered a couple sling attachment points from them and they were out of spec and wouldn't work.

Yeah I ordered a set of flip up sights and they were pretty cheap. The locking buttons didn't work really well and the mounts seemed off. They went in the spare parts bin. For $20 I wasn't too upset. You get what you pay for. My Midwest sights are top notch.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    bought this for my 1-8 vortex but the qd springs ended up misaligning and bent once i tried to tighten it https://www.amazon.com/Offset-Piece-Scope-Release-Picatinny/dp/B006MYCIOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520873491&sr=8-3&keywords=qd+scope+mount

ended up getting an aero precision mount and havent looked back since https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Precision-ULTRALIGHT-SCOPE-MOUNT/dp/B00IB1V65I/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1520873579&sr=1-4&keywords=aero+precision+scope

one thing ive learned is never go the cheapest route for scope mounts.
    and if you do make sure to loctite everything :)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    bought this for my 1-8 vortex but the qd springs ended up misaligning and bent once i tried to tighten it https://www.amazon.com/Offset-Piece-Scope-Release-Picatinny/dp/B006MYCIOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520873491&sr=8-3&keywords=qd+scope+mount

ended up getting an aero precision mount and havent looked back since https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Precision-ULTRALIGHT-SCOPE-MOUNT/dp/B00IB1V65I/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1520873579&sr=1-4&keywords=aero+precision+scope

one thing ive learned is never go the cheapest route for scope mounts.
    and if you do make sure to loctite everything :)

Those are nice mounts. The American Defense and Larue mounts are also very nice options if you want the QD.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you're running BUIS, you need a QD mount. Here is what I use for that:
    1. The UTG QD mount line is surprisingly not horrible for what it is and how it's priced. You lock it down, and it stays still. I would not want to bang it around too much, it feels a bit crude, and it's kinda heavy, but it does the job. I've used 2-3 on budget rifles with budget scopes and not regretted it, which is saying something.
    2. The ADM QD mounts are rock solid, and I would trust my life to them. They are not cheap, but they work great. Adjustment is also pretty easy. MI and GG&G are also good to go at this tier.
    3. If you think you need the absolute best and are planning on dismounting your scope constantly, Bobro is the way to go, as tests have shown them to have the best RTZ. LaRue as a close second. I personally can't justify the premium over a comparable ADM in nearly all cases - which also has excellent RTZ performance - but YMMV.

The Burris QD mount at the ~$80 price point is popular, but doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it's performance doesn't seem to justify the doubling in price over the UTG.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If you're running BUIS, you need a QD mount. Here is what I use for that:
    1. The UTG QD mount line is surprisingly not horrible for what it is and how it's priced. You lock it down, and it stays still. I would not want to bang it around too much, it feels a bit crude, and it's kinda heavy, but it does the job. I've used 2-3 on budget rifles with budget scopes and not regretted it, which is saying something.
    2. The ADM QD mounts are rock solid, and I would trust my life to them. They are not cheap, but they work great. Adjustment is also pretty easy. MI and GG&G are also good to go at this tier.
    3. If you think you need the absolute best and are planning on dismounting your scope constantly, Bobro is the way to go, as tests have shown them to have the best RTZ. LaRue as a close second. I personally can't justify the premium over a comparable ADM in nearly all cases - which also has excellent RTZ performance - but YMMV.

The Burris QD mount at the ~$80 price point is popular, but doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it's performance doesn't seem to justify the doubling in price over the UTG.

I think you pretty much summed it up perfectly. I'll have to check out the Bobro mounts sometime.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I'm glad there is another positive review of UTG stuff. Most people brush it off as air soft junk, but I think it depends on the product. I'm putting this on my new 12.5 inch SBR with a budget 1-4 on it. I'm not shooting to 200 yards, it's more of a range toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom