• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Looking for input on a .22lr conversion kit for Glock19.
    From my search on MDS and web, it seems the .22lr conversion kits work to a certain extent. Obviously $.20/rd for 9mm vs $.05/rd for .22lr is very attractive.
    On the downside, they need frequent cleaning, and may be picky on ammo brand.
    Manufacturers include Advantage, and Tactical, (not CMMG).
    What do people think about them now?
    Any change from the above consensus?
    Thank.

Last edited:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Personally, I just use a 22 pistol (I have a 1911-22 and an SAA style 22LR/Magnum). I shoot so many guns (I own 15 handguns and I rotate shooting them), and the basic skills are the same for each, So it adds no value to my skills as a shooter to put an essentially recoilless round in my Glock or any other full caliber handgun.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I’ve had an Advantage Arms conversion kit since they first hit the market like 17 years ago. Mine is. gen 1 so they have improved since. Mine only runs with Rem golden bullet ammo. I’ve had mine threaded and keeps most of the Remmy ammo subsonic. I don’t use it much anymore, but I would recommend it.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I struggled to get my Advantage Arms conversion to a point were it was reliable. It finally took a dedicated factory lower with no mods and accepting that i had to shoot mini mags, aguilla super extra or golden bullets, to get to a point where it will shoot reliably, about 90% of the time. I am not sure I would go to the trouble again, especially since my Ruger Mark IV and M&P 22 Compact work great and are not ammo sensitive.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I’ve had an Advantage Arms conversion kit since they first hit the market like 17 years ago. Mine is. gen 1 so they have improved since. Mine only runs with Rem golden bullet ammo. I’ve had mine threaded and keeps most of the Remmy ammo subsonic. I don’t use it much anymore, but I would recommend it.

+1 sorta on the Advantage Arms. Mind you, for almost the same price, you could just buy a dedicated 22 pistol. I had an AA kit when I had a Glock 17, and if you have the opportunity to try one before you buy one, I'd do so. It was so light that it almost made my G17 feel like a frickin toy. It shot well enough, but I have to say, the way it was built, I don't think it was necessarily worth the $300, and I often questioned the longevity of it. Before I got rid of it, one of the 2 magazines broke off a top tab rendering it useless. Sold it off with the pistol, and got $225 for it, so if nothing else, they somewhat retain their value.

If you must get one, I hear this is the better of them all, but again, I'd say just use that almost $300 and just get a dedicated 22 pistol. --JB

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I struggled to get my Advantage Arms conversion to a point were it was reliable. It finally took a dedicated factory lower with no mods and accepting that i had to shoot mini mags, aguilla super extra or golden bullets, to get to a point where it will shoot reliably, about 90% of the time. I am not sure I would go to the trouble again, especially since my Ruger Mark IV and M&P 22 Compact work great and are not ammo sensitive.

My point exactly. A .22 conversion kit from the Glock Store is $300. Why not just put that $300 toward a decent .22 LR pistol?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Another vote for putting the money toward a 22 pistol.

I bought the Tactical Solutions conversion and after replacing the spring as suggested it never would cycle properly, and I used 4 different types of ammo. "Fortunately" it broke after about 60 rounds and I was able to send it and the mags back for a full refund.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a Advantage kit I believe gen 2 works great with good ammo. Haven't had any issues with it at all. Also you can get its either 25 or 30 Rd mags to.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    As JBinDC pointed out, your Glock will not feel like your Glock with the subcal device installed. If the purpose of the subcal device is to let you train with your regular firearm while using cheaper ammo so you can improve with your regular firearm, then it fails in that purpose because your Glock won't feel like your Glock apart from the grip.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Thank you to everyone.
    I don't see my self owning a bunch of guns, so a conversion kit looks interesting to me since it's not another gun.
    Since I'm new to guns, I thought training with cheaper ammo, at least at the beginning, sounds like a good idea. If a .22 conversion kit can shoot flawlessly, I might end up shooting 5000 or more in a couple of months to a year. Otherwise I'll have to be mindful of ammo budget.
    With that said, I'm also looking into a polymer80 build. But that will be the topic of another thread.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I would argue the .22 conversion is worth it IF your Glock is your go-to and you want to train with it on the cheap. It's true the weight will be a little different (depending on which kit you get) and muzzle flip greatly reduced--but if your goal is to get point and shoot or double-tap fast it's a very inexpensive way to get there. Same gun, same trigger pull. It'll more than pay for itself in ammo savings.

They can be a little finicky, but have an AA and it works pretty well with most ammo. It does get dirtier faster because of .22 blowback but it's easy to clean up the internals with a toothbrush.

If you just want to shoot on the cheap, get a dedicated .22.

FNG

Jun 12, 2013
    Frederick
    I have the advantage arms kit for a gen 3 glock 19. Runs almost perfect with dirty old golden bullets. Reviews i read when i bought it a few years back had mentioned that was the best ammo for it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .22lr conversion vs additional pistol in .22lr is a subjective decision. You've looked into it, gotten reviews from here.

No inherently right or wrong answer , decide what's important to you , and proceede .

I will say whichever path you take to get there , a .22lr pistol is a good thing .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    There are 22lr pistols at the same price that will drive tacks, the Glock w/conversion won't compare. If accuracy is important, I'd always go with a fixed barrel blow back or revolver. I have a conversion for a 1911 and a Sig. They are fun and the looks you get when you put it on the bench and a friend takes a turn shooting it are funny if they don't know you swapped slides. So much lighter.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I shoot a advantage arms 22 conversion on a gen4 19 and it works great. I also use Golden bullets. Many thousands of rounds through it with very little problems. It just becomes a jamomatic once it hits a certain dirt level. I can usually fix the jams for a few more mags worth by just wiping the feed ramp off with my finger.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Great. It seems the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for glock gets the thumb-up.
    I also want to get a polymer80 frame. I understand that polymer80 frames are compatible with glock gen3 only. But are the Advantage Arms conversion kits compatible with polymer80 frames? Has anybody tried this combination?

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I have the advantage arms kit for a gen 3 glock 19. Runs almost perfect with dirty old golden bullets. Reviews i read when i bought it a few years back had mentioned that was the best ammo for it.

I'm happy with the Advantage conversion for my G22. It works very well with Remington Golden Bullets.

I shoot a advantage arms 22 conversion on a gen4 19 and it works great. I also use Golden bullets. Many thousands of rounds through it with very little problems. It just becomes a jamomatic once it hits a certain dirt level. I can usually fix the jams for a few more mags worth by just wiping the feed ramp off with my finger.

I've just placed an order. Thanks.
    How about the weight, always use 40gr?
    Where do you all get those Remington Golden bullets? Walmart? Or online stores like Target Sports America?
    If this combination works well, I plan to make it the main training method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom