How long is the wait to get the C&R license now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Anyone know how long it is taking now to get the license? If I remember correctly it took about 30 days to get mine six years ago. My friend has been waiting over six weeks and still no license. Is the partial government shutdown affecting the time it takes for a new license? I renewed mine the same day he applied for a new one and got my renewal in less than 30 days.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know how long it is taking now to get the license? If I remember correctly it took about 30 days to get mine six years ago. My friend has been waiting over six weeks and still no license. Is the partial government shutdown affecting the time it takes for a new license? I renewed mine the same day he applied for a new one and got my renewal in less than 30 days.

Yes. The licensing division is more or less shut down from what I have heard. ATF is part of Justice who are furloughed.

Back in March I applied and got mine in about 7/8 weeks. Around 3/20 to about 5/15 or so.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Not accounting for the shutdown the waiting times are usually around 2-4 months depending on the weather.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I know BATFE Form 4’s go to Atlanta for CC processing, then forwarded to Martinsburg for NFA processing. I assumed the same kind of thing for FFL 03 processing.

Perhaps I’m wrong

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maybe they use a payment processing center, like hospitals do? They receive and process payments and then forward the info to their client.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That would be my assumption Form 4 ‘s are handled that way. Form 1’s go directly to Martinsburg for processing

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I believe mine is a Form 7. I did send it to Atlanta, GA. Since there's potentially sensitive information included, I was surprised that a bank or other payment processing center was the envelope's first stop.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep Atlanta is where the payment processing center is. They then get processed by BATFE.

Banks handle private info all the time

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    OP, did your friend get their license? I got mine last week. It was about two months including mail time and the partial government shutdown.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    That's strange. On the positive side, in my limited experience they attend to email quickly. I sent a request to receive their newsletter as described in the license's carrier. Immediately I got back an auto-reply saying to expect a response within 120 (one hundred twenty) days! I was amazed to get the actual response less than 24 hours later.

Closer to three months for a friend of mine. He applied well before Christmas and got it about a week ago.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Closer to three months for a friend of mine. He applied well before Christmas and got it about a week ago.

I got mine a week or so ago as well. Was about 10 weeks. General consensus from what I recall over the years has been that they print and mail them out in batches. So depending on the timing of when its ready it might sit a little longer before it is printed and mailed then others.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got mine a week or so ago as well. Was about 10 weeks. General consensus from what I recall over the years has been that they print and mail them out in batches. So depending on the timing of when its ready it might sit a little longer before it is printed and mailed then others.

Yeah almost all government agencies use a print vendor, not in house printing. If they are good about it most send weekly batches to their print vendor. So the batch printing processor won’t delay things much.

Possible they do every 2 weeks or monthly, but unlikely.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Please remind me, gentlemen... Do I need to initiate renewal myself or will they send me renewal forms at the appropriate time? Mine runs out at the end of the year, so I'm not sure when I should start the process. I want to say that during the last cycle, they sent me forms, but my recollection is a bit hazy on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom