• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Disagree. Parts are not firearms, and the wording makes that pretty clear by implication. Anyways, you can still de-ban a banned gun by just buying the parts and installing them out of state.

"Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    "Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm.
    Yes. Let me clarify my position:

1. So if you have a legal non-banned gun in VA - let's say Cali-style AR - you can take it out of the state, buy the parts you want OUT OF STATE, assemble those parts on the gun OUT OF STATE, and then bring it back into the state and be fine because possession is not banned. Hope that is clearer.

2. Bill says "can't assemble 'parts' on 'firearm'". The receiver is the firearm. Everything else is parts.

If you had a pile of parts and an AR receiver in VA, that would be a problem. If you had a pile of parts installed into an AR receiver in VA, it's not. Otherwise, all (pre and post AWB) assault firearms would be banned from possession because "OMG they're parts".

If you don't agree with this reading, I understand, but it is coherent and reasonable.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Yes. Let me clarify my position:

1. So if you have a legal non-banned gun in VA - let's say Cali-style AR - you can take it out of the state, buy the parts you want OUT OF STATE, assemble those parts on the gun OUT OF STATE, and then bring it back into the state and be fine because possession is not banned. Hope that is clearer.

the law as written now says parts are included in the definition of assault weapons, and you cannot import assault weapons. you cannot buy or import parts or awb's after the bill goes into effect.

and i'm not sure what makes cali guns legal, but just because it's legal in cali may not necessarily mean it's legal in va:

"Assault firearm" means:
    1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 12 rounds;
    2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of
    the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) a grenade launcher; (v) a flare launcher, (vi) a silencer; (vii) a flash suppressor; (viii) a muzzle brake; (ix) a muzzle compensator; (x) a threaded barrel capable of accepting
    (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xi) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (x).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    2. Bill says "can't assemble 'parts' on 'firearm'". The receiver is the firearm. Everything else is parts.

If you had a pile of parts and an AR receiver in VA, that would be a problem. If you had a pile of parts installed into an AR receiver in VA, it's not. Otherwise, all (pre and post AWB) assault firearms would be banned from possession because "OMG they're parts".

actually the way i read it, whatever you have when the bill takes effect is legal - lowers, uppers, assembled guns, parts, etc.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    See the police love the Constitution , they will stand tall with us .

They need to decide which side they are on. Fast.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like the anti's think VA is already in the bag. One thing is for sure, they're not going to stop the push.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article239852743.html
    Wow. Don't know if I posted it, but I had suspected Bloomberg's strategy was to march all the way down the East coast/I-95 corridor to try to interfere with guns brought into New York state. Didn't think he would move this fast.

If I heard correctly on the radio today, Virginia is one of the states participating in the Super Tuesday primaries that Bloomberg is highly relying on. The news story said that he intended to double down on gun control in Virginia (I presume they meant in campaigning, but perhaps his organizations have more legislation in mind).

It really looks like he owns the Virginia Democratic party given the breadth of antigun legislation they're pushing through this term.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Wow. Don't know if I posted it, but I had suspected Bloomberg's strategy was to march all the way down the East coast/I-95 corridor to try to interfere with guns brought into New York state. Didn't think he would move this fast.

If I heard correctly on the radio today, Virginia is one of the states participating in the Super Tuesday primaries that Bloomberg is highly relying on. The news story said that he intended to double down on gun control in Virginia (I presume they meant in campaigning, but perhaps his organizations have more legislation in mind).

It really looks like he owns the Virginia Democratic party given the breadth of antigun legislation they're pushing through this term.

Has nothing to do with guns being brought into New York. He wants to end gun ownership for the average civilian, PERIOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    You can come to whatever conclusions you want; the fact remains that the bill was pulled last year because of that reasoning.

I don't argue that at all. I am glad to see that it got pulled here in MD for that reason. I only wish they would apply that same logic to some of the other bills they try to pass here in this state. This VA bill is one of the ugliest things that I have seen. I am trying to keep my Brother in-law that lives in VA in the loop. Him, being a father of 3 young ones and working full time, he does not necessarily have the time to keep a blow by blow of events that are happening in his home state.

Last edited:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Amy Friedenberger on her twitter -

Del. Tony Wilt, R-Rockingham, said Virginia Tech massacre was a tragedy. Then criticizes gun-free zones. “These are basically killing grounds. We cannot legislate morality. We cannot stop evil.”
    Crowd erupts into applause.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Statement from House Republican leader:

EQLa8UmXkAAe3Jr

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The entire Breitbart article:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...Fwi38w95DRl1-YfcxWEpmB9mMMJughtTMy_-LW0dLpOTc

The NRA’s Catherine Mortensen commented on committee passage of HB 961, saying: “This egregious gun ban is designed to make millions of law-abiding Virginians felons overnight. Lawmakers have delayed bringing up this gun ban because voters from across the Commonwealth oppose it.”

She referenced Mike Bloomberg’s planned visit to Virginia, intimating the bill was passed as a way of paying homage to him: “With their billionaire benefactor coming to Richmond next week to headline a Democratic Party fundraiser, however, it is clear that House leaders would rather bow to out-of-state interests than listen to their constituents and fellow lawmakers.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom