Should I transfer my Individually registered NFA items to my NFA Trust?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    I have two items on a Form 1 and Form 4 that were registered to me as an individual before I executed my trust. I have other items in the trust and have been using that exclusively since then.

Everything is tagged and separated, so I am not worried about any trustee confusion or possession violations.

Should spend $400 to transfer those items to my trust before the new rules come into effect? If so, why?

confused.bmp

thai

May 8, 2013
    I would not do it unless it is a high dollar item that would make it worthwhile. Such as a select fire rifle at the high end or a very expensive SBR/suppressor combo. But not a $700 suppressor of an SBR I manufacturered my self. In the latter case I would just build a new SBR or purchase another suppressor for the trust.

I don't think thereis anything to gain by merging everything into the trust and wasting $400 more. I did not do so for my HK53 SBR clone.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think thereis anything to gain by merging everything into the trust and wasting $400 more. I did not do so for my HK53 SBR clone.

Unless you want family members to have legal access to the items.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Unless you want family members to have legal access to the items.

Yep. You can have co-trustees on the trust that would be able to use the NFA items outside of your presence. The trust also helps with the dispersal of the NFA items upon death, but a Last Will & Testament can also accomplish that if the items are in an individual's name.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wouldn't do it.

Why not?

It depends on your needs.

Do you have family that needs access to the items? Do you have a will to deal with the NFA items? I could see the state confiscated on dying with out a will.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Why not?

It depends on your needs.

Do you have family that needs access to the items? Do you have a will to deal with the NFA items? I could see the state confiscated on dying with out a will.

Costs $400 in stamps and people have been passing NFA items on for a long time before trusts.

Giving someone else access is the only reason I see to do it.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Costs $400 in stamps and people have been passing NFA items on for a long time before trusts.

Giving someone else access is the only reason I see to do it.

I agree. Not worth the 4 bucks. Unless as I stated "a very expensive NFA item" otherwise get another form 1 or suppressor to add to your trust if the exact type and classification of NFA item is not already in the trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom