• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I did a search and didn't find anything and I wasn't exactly sure witch section to post but it seemed appropriate here. So here is the LINK to an article for this BFS drop in trigger. I could use the hell out of this but their are some down sides that I see 1. How it's cleared through the BATFE I don't know and wouldn't buy one without and BATFE approval letter as 2 rounds are fired per trigger pull. 2. you either have to buy that lower or pay a gunsmith to install your trigger group so that's an added cost on top of the already pricey $400. 3. He had allot of malfunctions and hes an experienced shooter, I don't know if a lighter bold or full auto bolt would help with malfunctions or maybe a stronger buffer spring or some combo of the two. it would be something I would like to play with but at the cost of 5.56/223 it would cost allot to feed that thing on a regular basis as well as having somewhere to shoot it most ranges wont allow you to shoot like that.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yea, its called a failing disconnector.

$400 for a switch to make your disconnector not work.

I got an out of spec disconnector, While doing a bench test, that's what happened.
    Fired when I released the trigger.

Not 2 weeks later a person at the range was having same problem. Sure enough, disconnector spacing was off. I just happened to have a diamond file set and we fixed it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does not fire two rounds for one pull.

One round for one pull, one round for one release.

Separate actions.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Seems like a waste of money when you can simply grind down the hook of a disconnector and do the same thing.

Also, you could use a burst trigger group to create the exact same thing. One disconnector will be for regular semi auto, and the other would be for binary firing. The selector will switch between them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Seems like a waste of money when you can simply grind down the hook of a disconnector and do the same thing.

This one, as I understand it, allows you to reset to standard semi auto, shoot on pull only.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This one, as I understand it, allows you to reset to standard semi auto, shoot on pull only.

You can do the same thing by using a burst trigger group. From the MAC video, it has two selectors and a three position selector, so it would work the exact same way.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can do the same thing by using a burst trigger group. From the MAC video, it has two selectors and a three position selector, so it would work the exact same way.

Really? It would be nice to do this with a Geiselle trigger or something similar. Not sure if any of their FA triggers are burst.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Really? It would be nice to do this with a Geiselle trigger or something similar. Not sure if any of their FA triggers are burst.

Burst triggers have two disconnectors inside them. One has a selector tail, and the other does not. For the right side one without the tail, you'll want to file back the hook slightly so upon the release of the trigger, it drops the hammer before the trigger catches it. The one with the tail will act as a normal semi auto disconnector. In the middle selector position, neither disconnector is disengaged, and the left one with a tail provides regular semi auto fire. When the selector is in the third position, it disengages the left one, and the right one with a shortened hook provides binary fire.

I can't imagine this BFS trigger group working any differently.

Three position burst disconnectors on the left.
    4-WayDisconnector.jpg

BTW, here's an old ATF letter from back in the day when the "staple mod" was popular with Ruger Mini-14's. People would modify them by placing a staple or similar thin wire under the disconnector to space it back slightly.
    batferuger2-shot001.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Burst triggers have two disconnectors inside them. One has a selector tail, and the other does not. For the right side one without the tail, you'll want to file back the hook slightly so upon the release of the trigger, it drops the hammer before the trigger catches it. The one with the tail will act as a normal semi auto disconnector. In the middle selector position, neither disconnector is disengaged, and the left one with a tail provides regular semi auto fire. When the selector is in the third position, it disengages the left one, and the right one with a shortened hook provides binary fire. I can't imagine this BFS trigger group working any differently. Three position burst disconnectors on the left. BTW, here's an old ATF letter from back in the day when the "staple mod" was popular with Ruger Mini-14's. People would modify them by placing a staple or similar thin wire under the disconnector to space it back slightly.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like rolling your own isn't an option.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks for the explanation. Looks like rolling your own isn't an option.

Why not?

The letter specifically states that "a firearm that shoots once upon pulling the trigger and once upon releasing the trigger would not meet the definition of a machine gun..."

Then they go on with vagueness about other modifications which could be nfa violations.

The legality of this trigger, or making one yourself, seems clear cut to me. Even better that the letter is 12 years old and they haven't changed their mind.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why not? The letter specifically states that "a firearm that shoots once upon pulling the trigger and once upon releasing the trigger would not meet the definition of a machine gun..." Then they go on with vagueness about other modifications which could be nfa violations. The legality of this trigger, or making one yourself, seems clear cut to me. Even better that the letter is 12 years old and they haven't changed their mind.

Certain modifications can still classify it as a machine gun regardless of function. FA selector, FA disconnector.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Certain modifications can still classify it as a machine gun regardless of function. FA selector, FA disconnector.

I get that. But simply modifying to fire on press and again on release of the trigger, per the letter, should not be a problem.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Got several weeks of waitING before FA ships out the triggers.

But I'll wait. One is going into an older, but upgraded SBR.
    The other on an ARES MCR.

Both should be fun range toys.

Attachments

• 12484681_10208927950182077_2497330975097721947_o.jpg
      12484681_10208927950182077_2497330975097721947_o.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 554

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If this thing could be put into "burst mode" by switching to the third selector position, I'd buy one. Not sure I'd want it as the permanent setting.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    If this thing could be put into "burst mode" by switching to the third selector position, I'd buy one. Not sure I'd want it as the permanent setting.

FYI, that is what it does. The semi mode only fires one shot per trigger pull and release, while binary mode fires one shot on trigger pull and another on trigger release. One complaint was however that the semi mode has a really long reset.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    One of the videos on YouTube shows that you can negate the second shot by holding the trigger and switching the selector to Semi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom